PDA

View Full Version : Question about using the skew.

Rookie
6th February 2008, 09:42 PM
I've started using the skew chisel turning pens after a lot of practice on scrap, and it's coming along nicely, but mainly right handed. For general wood turning I seem to be able to get away with turning right handed most of the time, but after reading here about how much the skew can be used for general turning, it seems to me that it needs to be mastered both left and right handed. Would that be right?

DavidG
6th February 2008, 09:46 PM
Yes, No.
It is nice to be able to use either hand but the real requirement is to be able to work the skew in either direction.

This can be achieved by right hand use only. Ugly and not as good though.

Rookie
6th February 2008, 09:49 PM
Would that mean sort of a back handed approach going left to right??:C

DavidG
6th February 2008, 09:54 PM
Yes.

Rookie
6th February 2008, 09:58 PM
Sounds painful. Better get some more scrap and start that cackhanded practice. Thanks David.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th February 2008, 10:27 PM
I reckon this is true of all turning tools, not just skews. :;

You should be able to use all tools in either direction (well... all the ones that are direction oriented. :roll:) as the cleanest cuts are made when you work downhill with the grain... which doesn't always run in the same direction.

Being able to use the tools not only in both directions but also with either hand can make things easier. For example, let's say you're turning a goblet. You hollow out and form the bowl, meaning you no longer have tail support. You could turn a plug and bring the tailstock back up, or you could do what I do... simply use one hand to gently cradle the bowl to prevent it from whipping while turning the stem & parting.

Using the left hand means reaching across the toolrest, blocking your view. Much easier to use the right hand for support and the left to control the tool.

There are plenty of other instances where it's a handy skill. :2tsup:

Richard Findley
7th February 2008, 05:29 AM
Hi Rookie,

As always, Skew's advice is sound. The only thing I would add is that when you want to cut in the opposite direction don't get yourself contorted and twisted into a bizare and uncomfortable position. Move your entire body until you are both comfortable and can safely approach the work.

It is possible... honest!!!! :;

Good luck with your Skew :2tsup:,

Richard

Gil Jones
7th February 2008, 05:45 AM
Rookie, go to this web site, and watch the four skew videos (plus others).

http://www.turnwood.net/videos.html

another one>>

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=28180

RETIRED
7th February 2008, 07:17 AM
Or.... come to Erns tunfest.:D

Gil Jones
7th February 2008, 07:23 AM
Yep, , I would like to attend Ern's turnfest, and hands-on is always better than videos. It is a long weekend drive from here:)

rsser
7th February 2008, 09:52 AM
Try the 'long way round' Gil; should get you to Singapore after a few months :D

Gil Jones
7th February 2008, 03:37 PM
Geesh, Ern, I'd rather row down hill.:) <br>My wife says we should just hop on a Qantas flight, and go visit one day. <br>Does sound like fun.<br>

rsser
7th February 2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, when we were younger we might have ... etc etc.

An older riding mate of mine once gave me some sage advice; he said 'Do you want to go into the nursing home with memories, or regrets?'

So I now have a Fireblade and accumulate demerit points for riding too hard.

Hope Alzheimers will wipe out some memories and not others.

Well now, go book that flight. We can put you up for a few days and show you some sights. You can fill your bags with exquisite turning blanks to take back.

Seriously.

RETIRED
7th February 2008, 07:12 PM
I will even let you come down here for a Barbie.:D

hughie
7th February 2008, 08:17 PM
An older riding mate of mine once gave me some sage advice; he said 'Do you want to go into the nursing home with memories, or regrets?'

Thats darn good advice. :U resonates well with me

Geesh, Ern, I'd rather row down hill.:)

Sheesh you'd be driv'n downhill anyways :U

My wife says we should just hop on a Qantas flight, and go visit one day.
Does sound like fun.

You should listen to SHMBO. I am sure we could make the trip very memorable.

rsser
7th February 2008, 08:56 PM
Yep.

Expect 's got a pretty good 'prawn flick' action happening :wink:

Gil Jones
8th February 2008, 05:02 PM
Rookie, once you get the hang of the skew, you can get a hefty 38mm± skew, and use it as a roughing tool. Great fun, and good skew practice. Attending Ern's gathering, and getting some skew wielding lessons will be well worth your time!!:2tsup: Good luck skewing around.
Thanks and Ern, and it sure would be fun. One never knows theses days, but we are now into painting the house and shed, inside and out…very time consuming for oldsters. The shed is about 60% the size of our house, so we will be busy.
Ern, one interesting thing about Alzheimer's is that you get to meet new people every day.