PDA

View Full Version : I need a thicknesser

Daddles
21st December 2003, 10:47 PM
I need a thicknesser.
Having spent most of this afternoon turning a 32mm plank into a 20m plank. No, it wasn't all hand tools. I was able to use Dad's power plane to chop the living daylights out of the bugger, mixed grain and all. Then the hand plane. Oops, gotta sharpen the thing first. Perhaps I didn't have to, but those lovely, thin shavings on the floor looked soooooo good, much better than the mess the power plane made. And I got me plank ... eventually. Could have done it with the thicknesser in less time than I spent shapening the plane.
But would it have felt as good?

errr, yeah, probably. I'm no purist, just as poor as your average workshop mouse.

But, for the first time, I got Dad's (got to stop stealing his tools) old Stanley 4 1/2 working a treat.

Have a Merry Christmas all. I'm asking Santa for that thicknesser ... knowing all SWMBO can afford is a block plane - boy do I need one of those, and Dad doesn't have one to borrow.

Cheers
Richard

Gwhat
23rd December 2003, 10:50 AM
If you aren't doing heaps of heavy work the Ryobi AP13 thicknesser is good value @ around $370, (Bunnings & Mitre 10) or if you happen to be near Ryobi (Rowville Vic) they had some factory returns a few weeks ago at $230.

The Ryobi is rated at 3mm cut depth but works better at <2mm still heaps less effort that the stanley 41/2!!!!