PDA

View Full Version : Intro - hi everyone

Incoming!
8th February 2008, 09:12 PM
Hi all! My name is Leanne and I've been lurking on this forum for nearly a year. I introduced The Bloke to this site, and he's been dribbling with delight ever since.

We're in the process of renovating an investment property at the moment, on a budget, so most of the skills I acquire will be put to immediate practical use, but I have to say I've been poring over the marquetry showcased here in this site as well as elsewhere, and have just ordered my first kit. REALLY looking forward to getting stuck into it. In the meantime, the reno project will provide me with a fair amount of waste timber with which to play and sharpen up.

Great site - I particularly like that there is a sub-forum for the ladies, and I've taken some of the advice to heart already. I used to feel a bit intimidated in blokey type stores - now I figure that they are paid to interpret what I am talking about, and damn using the correct terminology! If I want a tool that has a profile like a long haired wobblygong, then that's what I'll ask for and put their skills to the test!

Look forward to seeing more of your work - you're inspirational!

Leanne

wheelinround
9th February 2008, 08:57 AM
Thought that was new one
Welcome Incoming

Best hide the tools fella's

obviously you know what to expect from the site intelligent answers loads of laughs and hours spent at the keyboard :roll:

Ray

lubbing5cherubs
9th February 2008, 03:32 PM
Welcome Leanne, Always nice to see another face around here but rest assured most of the guys love to help us here too
bye
Toni

manoftalent
9th February 2008, 03:36 PM
well after an intro like that .....all I can say is ...."good onya Leanne":2tsup: and welcome to the forum:U

flynnsart
9th February 2008, 06:17 PM
Hi Leanne and welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing some pics of your work when you get into it. I lurked for quite a while before I made my first post. Now I stick my beak in everywhere!:p There is a wealth of information and wonderful people here.

Donna

RufflyRustic
9th February 2008, 09:27 PM
Hi and Welcome Leanne!

Apologies for the late welcome - I've been in my shed all day :B

As others have said, this place is amazing, so full of interesting ideas, assistance, fun and lots of woodwork and everything related.

Looking forward to seeing you around the Forum! :2tsup:

Cheers
Wendy

tea lady
9th February 2008, 11:26 PM
Hello. Nothing to add. Just agreeing with everything already said. see ya round.:D

astrid
10th February 2008, 08:00 AM
Welcome Leanne,
You'll find lots of tips and advise here, just dont forget to do some renovating!

Astrid

Incoming!
10th February 2008, 11:17 AM
....., just dont forget to do some renovating!

Astrid

I know what you mean. This site is addictive! Thank you for the welcome, everyone.

I learned some interesting things about marquetry yesterday.

1. Wait for the correct tools. A one inch scalpel blade without a handle is not a precision tool - not in my hands anyway.
2. Wait for the proper veneers to arrive. 2mm thick brigalow is not an ideal starting material for marquetry. Not with a scalpel blade.
3. Leave grumpygut's (The Bloke's) chisels alone. He turns pale and sweaty while watching.
4. Choose easy starting designs - like a teletubby, or a beach ball. The reclining nude currently in progress is probably a little ambitious and will almost certainly be abandoned.
5. Refresh first aid skills and get my own workshop. Grumpyguts is more than a little confused, his blood pressure is high and he has developed a nervous twitch. His colour is not good. This only seems to occur when I pick up a chisel.
6. Get own chisels.
7. Grumpyguts is not a good model as a reclining nude.

Might stick with the renovations for a while until my materials arrive. The gutted bathroom beckons.

Cheers
Leanne

Toyboy
10th February 2008, 12:56 PM
I would be willing to act as your nude model for your marquetry....problem is, a whole state forest could be put at risk just to supply enough timber. :D

This happened a few years back when I was in Africa....the Sahara State forest disappeared.:o

tea lady
10th February 2008, 02:02 PM
7. Grumpyguts is not a good model as a reclining nude.

Cheers
Leanne[/quote]

You Might need a partner called Grumpysixpack to model for nudes.

Incoming!
10th February 2008, 03:25 PM
Grumblesixpack? I'd never get any work done! :D Not to mention getting investigated by the Human Resource police for breaching work place practices! And thanks toyboy, but grumbles is somewhere on this site, and I don't know what his userid is!:o Just leave the Amazon alone!

flynnsart
10th February 2008, 04:35 PM
:p What a giggle, you have a great sense of humour. Yes do get your own tools if you can afford it, else you could spend half your shed time sharpening after someone else. And do learn how to use your chisels safely eg always chisel away from you and keep your fingers behind the tool.

Donna

tea lady
11th February 2008, 09:00 AM
Grumpyguts is somewhere on this site?:oo:

RufflyRustic
11th February 2008, 09:55 AM
:shifty1: Looking....

:shifty1:Looking.....

:( can't find them :(

:D

Incoming!
11th February 2008, 08:39 PM
S'okay - anything I say cannot be used in evidence against me. Not without his revealing his assumed identity. In the meantime, the game is afoot .... and I just got my marquetry materials. Off to play.

Cheers

robynmau
12th February 2008, 09:15 AM
Leanne, lurking ain't so bad, lots of us did / do it:2tsup:

Welcome aboard :D

Cheers

Robyn