PDA

View Full Version : chisel brands

weisyboy
9th February 2008, 09:56 PM
are P&N chisels as good as henry taylor?

i have been using henry tailor chisels yor a wile but need some new ones and henry tailor are so dear are P&N any good.

will i notice a diferance between the 2 brands?

any info would be great.

the 6 X 12 mm parting in P&N is $50 and the same chissel in Henry Taylor is $72

artme
9th February 2008, 11:18 PM
The short answer is yes.:2tsup::2tsup:

funkychicken
9th February 2008, 11:24 PM
And P+N are all Australian:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2008, 11:38 PM
In general: :yes:

Sarge
10th February 2008, 05:41 AM
Glad you started this thread

I'm in the same situation as Weisyboy.

I need to buy at least a good Roughing gouge and a good Spindle gouge, to start with anyway, eventually I need a full set.

So what are the recommended brands, sizes and the best place to purchase them.

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking your thread, but I think we are both asking the same question.

Pat
10th February 2008, 06:24 AM
P & N are available from Carroll's (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144957), Lumber Bunker (http://www.lumberbunker.com.au/shopmastery.php?cat1=Turning) and Vermac (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/pnchisels.pdf) to name a few . . .

Apologies to everyone's credit cards for the meltdowns :U

rsser
10th February 2008, 06:59 AM
I understand that P&N source their HSS from Europe by the way.

There's several in my quiver and my consistent concern with them is the quality of the finish of their flutes - with mine and others I've looked at it's not uncommon to find milling marks left behind. So for a good edge you need to spend some time with a slipstone, and in the case of one roughing gouge the marks were too deep for this.

HT flutes get three polishing treatments and IMO the steel is better. That said, for amateur turners an extra trip or two to the grinder is no big deal.

Another issue is the shape of the flutes on P&N bowl gouges; that's been discussed before.

Toolin Around
10th February 2008, 10:42 AM
I would suspect that you won't go wrong with any of the big named woodturning tool manufacturers, which would include P&N. What you will find different is the way they grind the flutes on their gouges so your first turnings may be a bit off till you get used to it. There maybe a bit of a difference with the HSS each use but you won't notice it turning wood. Some say you can but when you're talking about HSS which was developed for much much harsher machining environments than wood I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a difference.

You will notice a difference if you go the Chinese route though. cheap price, cheap workmanship and finish, inferior HSS, at least that's what they're saying it is - but who knows...

YMMV

weisyboy
10th February 2008, 12:52 PM
hare and forbs also stock them i might go in have a look and a feel and then decide.

thanks for the info.

artme
10th February 2008, 12:59 PM
Carl, Lazarides has them.

weisyboy
10th February 2008, 01:32 PM
where are they?

funkychicken
10th February 2008, 07:22 PM
I understand that P&N source their HSS from Europe by the way.

Austria to be specific

Lazarides Warehouse address: 15 Hurricane Street
Banyo
Queensland 4014

weisyboy
10th February 2008, 07:46 PM
where in bobs name is banyo?

funkychicken
10th February 2008, 08:01 PM
Google Maps it:D

SawDustSniffer
11th February 2008, 12:04 PM
I own a P&N 25mm gouge , a Sorby and a Henry taylor 25mm gouge's , the P&N has the round part going all the way to the handle where the others are milled to a flat bar where thay join the handle , for shear buchery on out of shape big bowl blanks i prefure the P&N ( i managed to bend a henry taylor 25mm gouge at the handle join , :doh:operator error not infierior chisel ) P&N hold there eadge as good as the rest but like all new chisels honing the inside of the gouge takes a lot of time ( thay dont do it to keep the price down )

the P&N 25mm gouge ( Black in colour ) with the round bar going into the handle is a dam good strong chisel:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th February 2008, 02:24 PM
As you may have gathered by now, general consensus is that HT gouges are slightly better.

But no manufacturer is superior for all types of turning tools and - regardless of how it may seem to someone reading this thread - gouges aren't the only type of chisel out there; for skews, scrapers and other tools there is little, if no, practical difference in quality between HT & P&N...

(Unless you want to get into arguments over details such as rolled edges on skews, but that's more a person's preference than a matter of quality. :roll:)

I agree with SDSniffer that the round stock for the P&N gouge makes for a strong tool. (I've bent others as well :B) It also makes putting 'em into a handle that much easier... :U

Sarge
11th February 2008, 06:00 PM
So I would be pretty safe to purchase all P & N Tools?
I'm not a good turner so I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between good and average.

So if I was after a roughing gouge and a spindle gouge, what sort and size should I be looking at, do I look at getting the Supa gouge or just stick with the normal ones.

Do I get the middle of the road sizes or is bigger better like my wife says :U

Thanks for your help

funkychicken
11th February 2008, 06:25 PM
So I would be pretty safe to purchase all P & N Tools?
I'm not a good turner so I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between good and average.

So if I was after a roughing gouge and a spindle gouge, what sort and size should I be looking at, do I look at getting the Supa gouge or just stick with the normal ones.

Do I get the middle of the road sizes or is bigger better like my wife says :U

Thanks for your help

I have a 3/4" hamlet roughing gouge and that's a great size for any size roughing down (despite it's unhandledness:roll:)
A 1/2 or 5/8th bowl gouge will probably do you as well as a 10 or 12mm spindle gouge.

artme
11th February 2008, 06:52 PM
for the second time the short answer is yes.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
11th February 2008, 08:30 PM
I've some P&N, some Sorby and some from Northwood.
the Northwood I find a little light on as they don't seem to be the same quality as the P&N and the Sorby. The steel seems to be of a lesser quality and does not hold the edge as well. But then I bought the Northwood to try them out and for making a specific profile. The Sorby chisels I have are all scrapers. The P&N cover the gamut of everything else.
The other advantage of the Sorby and the P&N is that you can buy them unhandled and make your own handles thus saving money
I'd recommend the P&N and the Sorby but I'm not an expert as some above. But I'm happy with both the P&N and Sorby brands of chisel.

weisyboy
11th February 2008, 09:11 PM
i am only interested in gouges at the moment so might give them a try meself and see how they go.

funkychicken
11th February 2008, 09:43 PM
I've some P&N, some Sorby and some from Northwood.
the Northwood I find a little light on as they don't seem to be the same quality as the P&N and the Sorby. The steel seems to be of a lesser quality and does not hold the edge as well. But then I bought the Northwood to try them out and for making a specific profile. The Sorby chisels I have are all scrapers. The P&N cover the gamut of everything else.
The other advantage of the Sorby and the P&N is that you can buy them unhandled and make your own handles thus saving money
I'd recommend the P&N and the Sorby but I'm not an expert as some above. But I'm happy with both the P&N and Sorby brands of chisel.

The Northwood chisels - "These Turning tools represent the best value and quality compromise on the Australian market today" - They're designed to be cheap but good. Sadly they can't hold up against some of the ridiculously hardwoods I turn.

powderpost
11th February 2008, 09:49 PM
I agree with others, there is not a discernable difference in the major known brands. P & N are good, and Australian, but as has been mentioned before, the flutes on the milled gouges are rough and need honing.
I would recommend a 25mm roughing gouge and a 12mm detail gouge to start with. I use Sorby, Henty Taylor, P & N and Hamlet and am satisfied with all of them.
The tools in a Chinese 'set' can vary widely in quality, that is in the one box.
Jim

Tornatus
11th February 2008, 10:34 PM
As I've said elsewhere, my P&N 32mm deep-fluted roughing gouge has been able to handle anything I have thrown it at, including some very cantankerous Aussie hard woods (NB space). The same can be said for the range of P&N bowl gouges I have, most of which I bought unhandled. The round stock makes them very easy to fit handles to, and having to polish the flutes (wire wheel followed by wet&dry) is a small price to pay for the overall quality and reliability. Bloody good steel! :2tsup: