PDA

View Full Version : Segmented vase

Ad de Crom
10th February 2008, 01:01 AM
At last, after 4 weeks celebrating carnival, I found the time to finish a segmented vase.
This thing is 8'' in diameter, and 12'' tall.
Used wood spieces, Grenen (yellow pine) and meranti.
Finished with two layers blanc transparent stain.
Thanks for looking :C

Hardenfast
10th February 2008, 09:15 AM
Nice looking piece, ADC. Did you hollow the whole piece as one completed unit, or did you do it in several sections?

Wayne

artme
10th February 2008, 09:19 AM
Great piece of work.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

OGYT
10th February 2008, 10:55 AM
My wife said, "oooh, that's pretty!". I think so to Ad. Well done.

Sawdust Maker
10th February 2008, 04:55 PM
Very nice vase:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

OGYT if the wife said pretty you'd better make one! If you're like me you should get your brownie points wherever and whenever you can:D

Harry72
10th February 2008, 07:07 PM
Nice work Ad.

Ad de Crom
10th February 2008, 09:39 PM
Nice looking piece, ADC. Did you hollow the whole piece as one completed unit, or did you do it in several sections?

Wayne

Hi Wayne, because this vase is pretty tall (14 segmented rings), I decided to make it into two pieces. So I turned both pieces with a little oversize inside and outside, and glued them together. At last with the support of the tailstock the final outside turning, finished the inside with my hollowing rig with using a multifacenet scraper.

Ad de Crom
10th February 2008, 09:41 PM
Guys, thank you all for your attention, highly appreciated.

Ad :)

joe greiner
11th February 2008, 03:18 AM
G'day, Ad. Very nice design, and excellent execution. A wee question about the feature ring: Are the segments made from a sandwich assembled on the bias? Or a natural part of the timber, with the pattern shown achieved by selective cutting? Really nifty trick either way (or any other way, for that matter).

Joe

Ad de Crom
11th February 2008, 05:41 AM
G'day, Ad. Very nice design, and excellent execution. A wee question about the feature ring: Are the segments made from a sandwich assembled on the bias? Or a natural part of the timber, with the pattern shown achieved by selective cutting? Really nifty trick either way (or any other way, for that matter).

Joe

Hoi Joe, if you mean the segmented ring showing the pattern. it's made of three glued up layers, with in the middle the dark brown one. So not a natural part of the timber.
I made first a 3D model of my design to see the outcome, before I started with this project.
Well I can tell you, a time consuming job, but also a fun job. Thank you for looking, and for your nice comment.

wheelinround
11th February 2008, 10:07 AM
Ad for me you have made Pine take on a new dimension great looking vase :2tsup: