PDA

View Full Version : Afzelia quanzensis

Caveman
15th February 2008, 06:51 PM
G'day - another new one for y'all (maybe).

Also known a Mbambakofi.
A beautiful tree from the coastal region over here - again an endangered species becoming more and more scarce due to over exploitation.

Used to be commonly utilised to make boats (Arab type Dhows etc) due to it's durability and resistance to shipworm.
Found this offcut at a roadside furniture makers workshop in a coastal village a while back.

A lovely timber to work with - finishes real nice. This piece is about 12" x 2" (30cm x 5cm).
Finished off with linseed. Turned it a wee while back - just got round to buffing on some beeswax.

Harry72
15th February 2008, 07:49 PM
Beautiful grain I like the shape too, well done Andy.

artme
15th February 2008, 08:26 PM
That is stunning! Wonderful shape and fabulous grain.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
15th February 2008, 10:40 PM
Yet another timber that should be in my collection - how many more ya' got up ya sleeve Andy ????? Nice work as usual :2tsup:

ss_11000
15th February 2008, 11:29 PM
wow, really nice colours. great bowl andy:2tsup:

joe greiner
16th February 2008, 12:13 AM
Nabulungi (I think), Andy. And really fine workmanship.

Joe

Sebastiaan56
16th February 2008, 06:32 AM
Hi Andy,

You have some great timbers over there dont you?. Keep posting them as you make them, I always enjoy looking at your turnings!

Sebastiaan

hughie
16th February 2008, 07:48 AM
Andy,

Another great piece of timber. :2tsup: If you were'nt so far away what a great place to have a turnfest. :U

The finish is real good, good definition to the lines and edges, looks like the stubby is paying off in spades. :bgth:

Gets my vote!

Ad de Crom
16th February 2008, 08:29 AM
Wow, absolutely stunning, what a beauty !!
If I could grab it of the screen, for sure I did.
Big compliments. :2tsup:

Caveman
16th February 2008, 05:39 PM
Thank's all for the nice comments.

Yet another timber that should be in my collection - how many more ya' got up ya sleeve Andy ?????
Still saving up some of the better ones for later Vern:D.

If you were'nt so far away what a great place to have a turnfest. :U
A wee bit off the beaten track, but not that far away! Things need to calm down a bit before prople start thinking about visiting:U.

Nabulungi (I think).
Joe
Not quite Joe - had to look that one up - got the meaning though - thanks:2tsup:. Different lingo to the swahili we speak round here.

powderpost
16th February 2008, 09:59 PM
Beautiful piece Andy, well done.
Jim

Gil Jones
18th February 2008, 01:20 PM
Andy, beautiful wood, and a fine piece of turning work :2tsup::2tsup:
I like the beaded foot, and your finish looks marvelous.

Caveman
18th February 2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks again guy's.

I like the beaded foot.

Yep - thanks Gil I like doing a beaded type foot for such forms as it allows one try and follow the curve of the bowl right through to the very bottom - inside the beaded area.

Don't know if that makes sense:?, but I know what I mean:U.

TTIT
18th February 2008, 11:47 PM
...Yep - thanks Gil I like doing a beaded type foot for such forms as it allows one try and follow the curve of the bowl right through to the very bottom - inside the beaded area.

Don't know if that makes sense:?, but I know what I mean:U.Know exactly what you mean Andy - do the same thing to most of the bowls I turn.To increase the challenge a little, have a shot at the one pictured. The person I gave it to thought the 'bead' had been glued on. The give-away was that I didn't quite get the flow-through right so it sort of showed what was going on :shrug:

Caveman
19th February 2008, 04:50 PM
:2tsup:Nice one Vern - can see why one might think it looks like a glue on.

Must try that on the next suitable bowl.