PDA

View Full Version : 11'' Platter Grenen (yellow pine)

Ad de Crom
16th February 2008, 08:40 PM
Well I had a leftover piece Grenen (300x300x32mm), just enough for making a platter.
Maybe not the right wood for a platter, but I did :?
Anyway I had fun, and that's what count :D

hughie
16th February 2008, 08:57 PM
Ad,

Well I reckon you have made very good use of shape and the knot hole. We can all turn out something, but the trick is to have the shape and timber go together in a successful merger.

So for me its a keeper, well down! :2tsup:

wheelinround
17th February 2008, 08:22 AM
Ad I'm impressed it looks great and that knot must have given you some heart stopping moments.

artme
17th February 2008, 09:46 AM
that is a wonder fully turned and sbtly beautiful piece.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
17th February 2008, 09:21 PM
Ad I'm impressed it looks great and that knot must have given you some heart stopping moments.

Not that my heart stopped, but when I saw that big knot, a huge one, than I thought, what kind of a tool I'm going to use.
Using my bowl gouge would give me a catch on this hard knot, I was pretty sure about that.
So I decided to use a HSS tooltip to tackle this knot, I'm glad I did. :roll:

tea lady
17th February 2008, 09:29 PM
Great plate.:D The knot looks like the shadow of a spoon.

joe greiner
18th February 2008, 12:55 AM
Very well done, Ad. And amazing that the knot stayed on board. Is your "HSS tooltip" something like an Oland Tool? Like this?: http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml Almost impossible to catch, especially in the smaller sizes, e.g. 1/8 inch.

Joe

Ad de Crom
18th February 2008, 01:58 AM
Very well done, Ad. And amazing that the knot stayed on board. Is your "HSS tooltip" something like an Oland Tool? Like this?: http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml Almost impossible to catch, especially in the smaller sizes, e.g. 1/8 inch.

Joe

Hi Joe, here is a picture of the HSS tool tip, size 1/16'' sqaire.
Heard of an Oland tool, I think it's scandinavian, but not sure about that