PDA

View Full Version : Green Timber Sealer

stevew
21st February 2008, 06:24 AM
Does anyone out there make their own green timber sealer.
Have managed to get some fresh,large camphor laurel logs and I want to seal them when I break them down to bowl size blanks.
Wanting to seal the end grain before storing them away.
Thnks again
Steve

journeyman Mick
21st February 2008, 09:31 AM
I just use whatever left-over acrylic paint I've got hanging around.

Mick

OGYT
21st February 2008, 09:56 AM
Some folks buy paraffin and melt it. Before I got my AnchorSeal, I used old oil-base paint, and old wood glue.
I never though of using acrylic paint, but I think any old paint should do better than nothing, but if you use latex, I've heard you need to put on two or three coats.

hughie
21st February 2008, 08:10 PM
Steve,

Bunnies have a real cheap acrylic paint...$14 per 4litres to this I add PVA glue..of which they sell :U I get the cheapest one which is for gluing paper. Mix about 500ml into the 4litres and it works fine.

Failing that consider polystyrene foam melted down with Turps. 1/2 to 1 Litre of turps will melt a truck load of foam. Consistency should be like treacle...maybe light treacle at that. Use a spatula or something similar to spread it on, seals and dries in a few hours.

mick61
21st February 2008, 10:07 PM
G`day Hughie I have heard the poystyrene and turps(?) mix used as a sanding sealer.
Mick:D

P.s I use a wax emulsion that the woodsmith sells,don`t know what`s in it.

joe greiner
22nd February 2008, 12:15 AM
I'm currently using paraffin wax (in canning supplies at supermarkets/grocers). Melt it in a spare pot on a dedicated (SURPLUS) hot-plate and swab it on with a stick; natural-bristle brushes get clogged too easily, and artificial bristles melt. My demands don't favour AnchorSeal, but many serious turners use it. Our hazardous-waste dump makes old paint available for free, and paint suppliers may offer blending mistakes at reduced price. I've found it takes several coats, though, and too much attention.

Joe

BobL
22nd February 2008, 01:13 AM
I used to use the paraffin based sealers and waxes but they generally take a longer time to dry and when they do grit/sand/rocks can easily still stick to that stuff. Acrylic paint dries quickly and one can just brush or wash grit/sand/rocks off. The disadvantage is that thin paint can penetrate cracks and it is harder to remove before filling. One way around that is to let the paint go a bit goopy/thick before using it so that it doesn't penetrate as far.

glock40sw
22nd February 2008, 07:10 AM
G'day.
Just go to your local BP depot and buy a 20 lt drum of log end sealer.
Easy.

Calm
22nd February 2008, 07:25 AM
G'day.
Easy.

I bought mine at Mobil and it was about $80 and does a lot of timber

DJ’s Timber
22nd February 2008, 07:27 AM
G'day.
Easy.

:whs:

mick61
22nd February 2008, 01:46 PM
G`day do you mean BP service station?

glock40sw
22nd February 2008, 03:03 PM
no. BP Depot supplies the servo with fuel.