PDA

View Full Version : The Titan is massive!

OGYT
21st February 2008, 09:51 AM
Finally got my Titan rigged with it's PowerGrip Jaws. All from New Zealand... at least that's what it says on 'em.
The ideal size of tenon for the PowerGrips is 114mm. That let's 'em amost close to a complete circle. It'll take a tenon 41mm long.
Pic 1. Jaws closed.
Pic 2. It opens up to accept about 125mm.
Pic 3. Size comparison... sitting beside a SuperNova2. (The #1 jaw on my SN2 is blackened so I can mark the piece without searching for the end of the jaw slide.)

Cliff Rogers
21st February 2008, 10:03 AM
OK Al, now go & get a tree to turn it it..... :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
21st February 2008, 10:41 AM
seems big enough to hold a piece of timber as big as a horse:D
don't have too much fun whilst using it:U
You'll have to tie down the lathe but I see that it's pretty bulky in its own right

robyn2839
21st February 2008, 11:16 AM
like they say (everything is big in texas) what a monster of a chuck, i want one ,would be great for big stuff . bob

Harry72
21st February 2008, 11:18 AM
Sweet!

Stuart
21st February 2008, 01:14 PM
Sure make big boys in NZ :D

rsser
21st February 2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah, it's a nice bit of kit alright.

Ad de Crom
21st February 2008, 06:37 PM
Looks very good Al, now lets have some fun !
You have a Oneway, right. Very good machine. :2tsup:

Hardenfast
21st February 2008, 07:38 PM
Man, that thing will have some inertia Al. Don't stand too close when you start it up - it might create its own gravitational field.

What's the finish quality like? I heard someone here having a grumble about some chucks from NZ recently. Maybe they were from NZ via Chinasia?

Wayne

hughie
21st February 2008, 08:25 PM
The ideal size of tenon for the PowerGrips is 114mm. That let's 'em amost close to a complete circle. It'll take a tenon 41mm long.

Al,

That seems a entirely appropriate size of chuck for your neck of the woods

So now we can see some decent sized bowls......:U:U

TTIT
21st February 2008, 11:27 PM
Hmmm - wouldn't look out of place on the Stubby - do those jaws fit on the SN2 Al ????? If they do, they'll also fit on my Vermec chuck - hmmmm :wink:

OGYT
22nd February 2008, 04:09 PM
Took Cliff's advice, but it wasn't a really big tree... this is a chunk of cured native Elm... sorry tree... (smells like pee when it's green, and smells up the house if you burn it in your fireplace...) and it's hard as Texas clay when it's cured. But it makes pretty stuff. This piece will be a large Brandy Snifter... wood's got a crack, so it'll have to be turned down some more... I may have to use glue on it.
Having to use a Spindle Adapter on all my chucks, it sticks it out a good distance from the headstock, so I won't try their advertisement trick (I just think it's a bit heavy that far out from the headstock); so I use my tailstock 'til I get ready to hollow, and then the steady rest. But it spins it true, and really hangs on. The T-Track Steady Rest is modified from the article by Ron Mostel in Woodturning Projects & Techniques Winter 2008 Issue. (Got a pdf file of it, if any of you want a copy of it, email me. It's too big to post here.)

Vern, I don't know if these jaws will fit the SN2s, but I don't think so... they have three alignment gizmos on the bottom... I'll check it out in the morning, and let you know for sure. It would look good on yer Stubby!

Hughie... I wish! :U

Wayne, the fit and finish are superb! It, and both SN2s, have the three rings close to the back end. Excellent workmanship... as I have always expected from Teknatool. The "dowel screws" that hold in the key gizmo will make it hard to turn if you tighten them too tight. I've taken it completely apart to check it out, and lube it well, and everything is machined perfectly.

Yep, Ad, it's a Oneway... and I feel very fortunate that when I was shopping for a new lathe, Her Majesty told me to get it. It paid for itself in a little over a year.

rsser
22nd February 2008, 04:09 PM
Without going over the websites Vern, these Powergrips were designed only for the Titan. They have three screw holes. There's a different set of Powergrips for the SN2.

PS: if you like faceplate rings, these Powergrip jaws work very nicely with the Nova 130mm ring.

hughie
22nd February 2008, 04:48 PM
[Vern, I don't know if these jaws will fit the SN2s, but I don't think so... they have three alignment gizmos on the bottom... I'll check it out in the morning, and let you know for sure. It would look good on yer Stubby!

Hughie... I wish! :U

thought you would like that..:U

Vern if you read the Teknatool specs on both chucks they appear to have the same max capacity, Titan and SN2.

OGYT
23rd February 2008, 11:29 AM
Vern, I was wrong about the alignment ridges on the bottom of the jaws. The Titan PowerGrip Jaws have two alignment ridges on the bottom of the jaws. The second ridge hits the back end of the jaw slide on the SN2 Chuck... so they don't fit the SN2s.

rsser
23rd February 2008, 11:56 AM
Yep.

For the SN2 you have to buy the std Powergrip jaws. Two screw holes while the Titan s/grips have 3.

FWIW, I think the Titan chuck is worth buying for heavyweight turning, since it will take most of T'tool jaws, and esp. the 75mm bowl jaws as well as the Titan Supergrips. That said, the edges of my 75 mm bowl jaws were arrissed (sp?, ie rounded over) and I had a kind forum member machine the faces down to get rid of them.