PDA

View Full Version : decent lathes under or around 3K

ss_11000
25th February 2008, 10:07 PM
well, after that vl300 on ebay went way out of range. i have a new plan.

dad told me that mums main concern is: buying second hand stuff off ebay without seeing it etc...considering how much it was.

but, i have been told i can buy a new lathe within limit.

i rekon 3 grand will do me, but there is nothing around in that range that i like.

woodfast - awesome, but its 6 speeds and headstock doesnt move.
carbatec. looks great but 450 lowest speed
vicmarc - vl175- 4K. to much

what about a leady i hear you say...i will research that abit but in the mean time, any one got comments on them.

any other lathes around?

also will keep an eye out for second hands ( close to me ).

cheers

ss_11000
25th February 2008, 10:08 PM
btw, how much is the nugget stubby worth?

no one seems to have any prices avail, so i will shoot an email off tonite.

http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/..._id=1107369642 (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884&product_id=1107369642)

dvr 3000 xp.

that is another option i guess.

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com...._id=1107219996 (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107219996)

or a jet perhaps

http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/d...the-13029.aspx (http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/deluxe-electronic-variable-speed-lathe-13029.aspx)

doesnt seem that bad...across the country

Calm
25th February 2008, 10:10 PM
Check out Jims sight - send him a pm or email - another opinion will help

Groggy
25th February 2008, 10:30 PM
Gack:oo: That orange colour, I'm blinded!

Take your time Stirlo, we'll keep an eye out for you too.

ss_11000
25th February 2008, 10:32 PM
Gack:oo: That orange colour, I'm blinded!

Take your time Stirlo, we'll keep an eye out for you too.

kinda is bright:D.

no need to buy it straight away. i will probably end up waiting a few months.:cool:

lubbing5cherubs
25th February 2008, 10:37 PM
DVR 3000... You get second to none service. Jim you cannot fault for after care.
hope that helps.
Toni

Big Shed
25th February 2008, 11:01 PM
This VL175 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wood-lathe-Vicmarc-175-SH_W0QQitemZ280203097506QQihZ018QQcategoryZ84012QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is a bit under 4K:rolleyes:, bit of a drive though.

Caveman
25th February 2008, 11:16 PM
Wivamac look really nice.
DB801 & DB1000 look to be in your range.
http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/WivaMac_Lathes/wivamac_lathes.html

Don't know if they are available in Oz though - somehow doubt it:D. Scared off by Vicmarc and Stubby's.

Harry72
25th February 2008, 11:36 PM
$3k... DVRXP

Ozartisan
25th February 2008, 11:49 PM
Check out the DVRXP at Trend stand this weekend - Newcastle Woodies show at Entertainment centre at Broadmeadow.
Talk to Adrian.....
The people learning to turn at Artisans Retreat just LOVE the DVR!

rsser
26th February 2008, 11:06 AM
You can often bargain at shows. Demonstrators don't like shipping their gear back home.

The DVR is a lot of lathe for the money.

The Nugget won't be cheap; as a guide the S1000 is around $7.5k.

NeilS
26th February 2008, 12:04 PM
Stirlo

woodfast - awesome, but its 6 speeds and headstock doesnt move.

cheers

I have been waiting for the new C-series lathe that Woodfast will have out in about 2 months. Maybe include that one in your considerations. It's in your price range at $2,475 and has swivel headstock and variable speed 20 rpm - 3500 rpm.

It has some advantages over the DVR XP, including lower initial cost, lower min speed, movable on/off switch at no extra cost and perhaps lower repair cost if the motor goes after warranty. No doubt it will also have some disadvantages compared to the DVR XP... depends on what you need/want.

The following details are from about half way down this page (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5).

Model C1000X
Swivel Headstock 0 - 30 - 90 degrees
Spindle Lock
Indexing 24 Divisions
Camlock Toolrest Bracket & Tailstock
Electronic variable speed 20 rpm - 3500 rpm
Spindle thread 30mm x 3.5
Distance between centres 950mm (37 1/2" )
Swing over bed 520mm (20 1/2")
Motor 1.5Hp (1.1Kw)
Movable On/Off Switch position

Although it doesn't state the max outboard diameter, it looks to be about 750mm.

The usual disclaimer: no connection to Woodfast other than being a long time satisfied user of their lathes.

Neil

orraloon
26th February 2008, 12:57 PM
Stirlo,
3K will get you something decent for sure. I am a big fan of the Leady and it is only about $1400. For that I also got a chuck and 3 tool rests. The lowest speed is 450rpm however but I find it does everything I need except chase threads and I don't know if I have the skill for that anyhow. You could fit a var speed to it and still have almost a grand left.

Regards
John

Sprog
26th February 2008, 01:41 PM
You would not regret buying the Nova DVR XP.
I didn't, such a joy to use, so smooth, never have to change a belt again and a big plus is it beeps when you press the buttons :)

Sawdust Maker
26th February 2008, 02:52 PM
Check out the DVRXP at Trend stand this weekend - Newcastle Woodies show at Entertainment centre at Broadmeadow.
Talk to Adrian.....

If you're talking turkey with Adrian from Trend make sure he throws in a Supernova 2 chuck and the cast iron legs (I also got a hat out of him!)

and yep I'm very happy with his service and especially with the DVRXP, lovely and smooth to use

And SWMBO has finally, I think, got over me bringing it home:D:D

ss_11000
26th February 2008, 03:04 PM
thanx for your replies guys:2tsup:

Model C1000X
Swivel Headstock 0 - 30 - 90 degrees
Spindle Lock
Indexing 24 Divisions
Camlock Toolrest Bracket & Tailstock
Electronic variable speed 20 rpm - 3500 rpm
Spindle thread 30mm x 3.5
Distance between centres 950mm (37 1/2" )
Swing over bed 520mm (20 1/2")
Motor 1.5Hp (1.1Kw)
Movable On/Off Switch position

Neil

that sounds good. thanx for letting me know:2tsup:

i wonder how much it wieghs? i'll shoot off an email to woodfast soon.:cool:

Stirlo,
3K will get you something decent for sure. I am a big fan of the Leady and it is only about $1400. For that I also got a chuck and 3 tool rests. The lowest speed is 450rpm however but I find it does everything I need except chase threads and I don't know if I have the skill for that anyhow. You could fit a var speed to it and still have almost a grand left.

Regards
John
i think 450 would be a bit to high for me...but i do like the prices and reviews that i have heard.:cool:

If you're talking turkey with Adrian from Trend make sure he throws in a Supernova 2 chuck and the cast iron legs (I also got a hat out of him!)

and yep I'm very happy with his service and especially with the DVRXP, lovely and smooth to use

And SWMBO has finally, I think, got over me bringing it home:D:D

lol...good work:2tsup:

ss_11000
26th February 2008, 03:07 PM
You can often bargain at shows. Demonstrators don't like shipping their gear back home.

The DVR is a lot of lathe for the money.

The Nugget won't be cheap; as a guide the S1000 is around $7.5k.

the STWWW show seems like the best place to buy it.

the nugget doesnt look as good as i once thought. it doesnt appear to have out board capabilities and i remember reading in the AWR that it had a 2HP motor. i havent had a reply yet from stubby so its still in the consideration.

Talk to Adrian.....
i will definately be checking it out ( as well as alot of otheres )

are you going to the show?

Wivamac look really nice.
DB801 & DB1000 look to be in your range.
http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/WivaMac_Lathes/wivamac_lathes.html

Don't know if they are available in Oz though - somehow doubt it:D. Scared off by Vicmarc and Stubby's.
hmm, they look good.:)

rsser
26th February 2008, 03:16 PM
Stirlo, the Nugget has a 1 hp motor.

http://www.omegastubbylathes.com/Nuggetx.html

This thread can go on for ages. You need to work out what the min. acceptable specs are for the work you want to to.

Swing and bed length are obviously places to start.

Then whether you have to have the convenience of VS.

Min. speed can be important if you intend to rough out big lumps (that said, the min. of an MC900 never stopped me; just made things a bit exciting at times).

Then some of the more difficult prefs to work out about quality and how much fettling you're prepared to do.

And other aspects such as spindle size (affects availability of chucks and faceplates), length of quill extension (long is good if you do a lot of pepper grinders eg.), and amount of grunt (in fact pretty much any amount will do if you're patient).

Resale value? Important if you expect to be in the game for a long time and may want to upgrade.

I could go on!

ss_11000
26th February 2008, 03:25 PM
Ta Ern:cool:

Swing and bed length are obviously places to start.at least 300 over bed and pref outboard 700mm>.

bed legnth isnt overall important 400mm>...

Then whether you have to have the convenience of VS.would almost definately have to have it.

Min. speed can be important if you intend to rough out big lumps (that said, the min. of an MC900 never stopped me; just made things a bit exciting at times).i would prefer as low as possible. definately below 500, some of the peices i have already i tried to turn but the lathe was litterally jumping around because it was too much speed.

Then some of the more difficult prefs to work out about quality and how much fettling you're prepared to do.as long as the centres meet up ( reasonably close ), any more fiddling should be fine:)

And other aspects such as spindle size (affects availability of chucks and faceplates), length of quill extension (long is good if you do a lot of pepper grinders eg.), and amount of grunt (in fact pretty much any amount will do if you're patient).spindle size, would prefer a common thread size. quill extension isnt overly important ( now ). would prefer at least 1HP but thats something i could live without i guess.

Resale value? Important if you expect to be in the game for a long time and may want to upgrade.resale value could be important. depends on how much lathe technology improves over the next 20 yrs or so.

I could go on!please do

cheers

Groggy
26th February 2008, 03:38 PM
Stirlo, it may pay to contact the suppliers well before the show as it may affect how many machines they bring with them. I'm sure they'd like to have a bunch on display but none to have to take home.

ss_11000
26th February 2008, 03:54 PM
Stirlo, it may pay to contact the suppliers well before the show as it may affect how many machines they bring with them. I'm sure they'd like to have a bunch on display but none to have to take home.

good point:2tsup:

BernieP
26th February 2008, 04:34 PM
G'Day Stirlo

There's is vicmarc for sale on buy swap and sell, Vl100

Going to Newcastle show on friday, guess you'll be at school eh.

Cheers
Bernie

lubbing5cherubs
26th February 2008, 06:21 PM
Stirlo in buy sell and swap on this board there is another vicmark for sale. have a look here
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=67643
toni

lubbing5cherubs
26th February 2008, 06:22 PM
Sorry Bernie there seems to be an echo in here
Toni

BernieP
26th February 2008, 06:35 PM
G'day Toni

You know what they say about great minds

Cheers
Bernie

artme
26th February 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm surprised the Jet evs didn't get a mention. Head doesn't swivel but slides to oppposite end of bed for outboard turning.
DVR XP is a ripper of a lathe. Two advantages not mentioned yet are its small footprint, and the add on bed extension.
Another option is to buy an older lathe in good order for as little as you can and exchange motors. Again talk to Jim Carrol.
Good luck.:2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
26th February 2008, 09:41 PM
With the DVR I like the small increments of speed available ie 250 in 5rpm increments up to 3000

Also the technology seems the ants pants to me, ie motor and spindle in one unit, no slipping belts etc

But on the other hand the main drawback is that I don't have enough time to play with it. Apparently I'm expected at work 5 days each week, then take kids to sport etc bvgger

Actually Stirlo
these days with the web you could, and probably should, study the manuals of each machine you are interested in. This will give you a good idea of what each is capable of - it might also stop or lessen the amount of surprises you get, (the Oh damn it won't/can't do that situations):D

any woodwork show is a good place to compare machines if there is a good range available

good luck

mick61
26th February 2008, 10:22 PM
G`day I heard that the nugget is not in production anymore, but the little birdy might be wrong.
Mick

ss_11000
26th February 2008, 11:56 PM
I'm surprised the Jet evs didn't get a mention. :2tsup: it did. :cool: its the one i linked to via gary pye site.

Actually Stirlo
these days with the web you could, and probably should, study the manuals of each machine you are interested in. This will give you a good idea of what each is capable of - it might also stop or lessen the amount of surprises you get, (the Oh damn it won't/can't do that situations):D

good luck

thats a good idea:2tsup:

ss_11000
26th February 2008, 11:57 PM
btw, the little vicmarc, while i would love it...i couldnt see myself buying one before a "full" size lathe

cheers

hcbph
27th February 2008, 04:54 AM
Assuming the models there are the same as here, have you looked at either Jet or Powermatic? I have a Jet1642-2 for a couple of years now. EVSR, 2 HP and works like a champ with a 16" swing over the bed. I do mostly spindle work, so I got a bed extension and it's good to about 60" now, though there is a longer one available for about 96". I have seen a thread where an external stand was bolted to it for turning off the bed, think the stand was by Vicmark. If you want to go bigger, check out the Powermatic 3520B, that ones good to about 20" over the bed and about 38" if you mount the bed extension on the lower mount on the leg. EVSR will take you way down in the speedrange when turning, if required, though I think the lowest I've gone is about 300 rpms.

Paul

robyn2839
27th February 2008, 08:04 AM
there is only one choice nova.bob

artme
27th February 2008, 08:21 AM
Now there's a man of of strong convictions!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
And sound opinions!:D:D:p

clubbyr8
27th February 2008, 11:01 AM
Stirlo,

I've got a DVR (not XP) and I love it. Bought it from Trend and got a bed extension and The Outrigger unit plus a cast iron stand and Supernova 2 chuck. This thing is one helluva lathe.

Adrian is the nicest bloke in the world to deal with and I'm sure he would give you a great deal.

ss_11000
27th February 2008, 01:33 PM
thanx for your replies fellas.

funkychicken
27th February 2008, 09:19 PM
Now I wouldn't mind a powermatic

killerbeast
27th February 2008, 11:25 PM
Now I wouldn't mind a powermatic

uhhhh me tooooooooooo .... in EU itīs jet 3520b same but different..

DoctorBobski
28th February 2008, 05:23 PM
Call vermec and ask for a price on the F400 Omega. When I was buying it came down to a 175 or this. Both were about the same price but I went the 175 due to the longer bed. I've never used the extra length and part of me wishes I had gone the Omega. The price of the omega may not have risen as much as the 175. ($3200 when I got it)

ss_11000
28th February 2008, 05:46 PM
will check it out doc:2tsup:

hughie
3rd March 2008, 09:38 PM
Stirlo,

In your price range of 2-3k, most lathes will be fine pieces of equipment. It will pretty well be your personal preference and what you want to turn that decides it.

This level of $ seems to be the medium price of quality gear.$1500 and down is the bottom of the market and above 3k would be top end.

With this in mind I would look at capacity, capability and power. Add to this what you intend to turn as well.

Then set about getting for the best price, checking as many sources as you can and take your time and you will get what you want. Don't forget to consider local papers for lathes that are no longer wanted.

ss_11000
3rd March 2008, 10:08 PM
ta guys for your replies:cool:

Toasty
10th March 2008, 10:18 AM
The DVR3000 on ebay mentioned at this link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=68450) might be something for you.

Edwards
12th March 2008, 03:12 PM
With the DVR I like the small increments of speed available ie 250 in 5rpm increments up to 3000

Also the technology seems the ants pants to me, ie motor and spindle in one unit, no slipping belts etc

But on the other hand the main drawback is that I don't have enough time to play with it. Apparently I'm expected at work 5 days each week, then take kids to sport etc bvgger

Actually Stirlo

any woodwork show is a good place to compare machines if there is a good range available

good luck

Sawdust Maker.
just thinking. What happens when the motor goes down on this machine some time in the future. Will the motor / head assembly be still available or would you have to scrap the lot and look at buying a new lathe. Think I would prove a standard motor version that will be available all of my life time.
Cheers
Edwards:no:

TTIT
12th March 2008, 04:17 PM
Sawdust Maker.
just thinking. What happens when the motor goes down on this machine some time in the future. Will the motor / head assembly be still available or would you have to scrap the lot and look at buying a new lathe. Think I would prove a standard motor version that will be available all of my life time.
Cheers
Edwards:no:Ooooooerrr! Now you're gonna stir up a hornet's nest :o:o As long lasting as many machinery companies might be, the changing economic strengths on this planet make me think the same way :;:U

hughie
12th March 2008, 06:28 PM
Ooooooerrr! Now you're gonna stir up a hornet's nest :o:o As long lasting as many machinery companies might be, the changing economic strengths on this planet make me think the same way :;:U
[/QUOTE]

Crikey! last time I made a comment about DVR's etc not along these lines. I got a bit of a serve from the overly sensitive. :U

funkychicken
12th March 2008, 08:11 PM
http://www.powermatic.com/Products.aspx?nav=ByPart&ClassID=332178&Part=1352001

The Powermatic 3520B lathe...

TTIT
12th March 2008, 08:52 PM
Crikey! last time I made a comment about DVR's etc not along these lines. I got a bit of a serve from the overly sensitive. :U I don't think he's been back since but this might bring him outta the woodwork eh!:;

Sawdust Maker
12th March 2008, 10:08 PM
It's one of those things. If it dies in the bvm (in the long term) then I'm stuck.:((
That's the risk with newish technology. I note it's in its second iteration, so hopefully some of the bugs have been ironed out. But I recall that my dad told of similar comments going around about the time of the release of the first holden.
I suppose the thing then is to wear it out before teknatool goes bust. And to note some other other posts in this forum I can always use the bed for something else:D
I also note that there is a standard motor version that fits the bed, so maybe if the worst comes to happen then it will not end up as a flower pot stand:U
In the end am I worried:no:
In any event if it does die in the bvm then maybe I can convince SHMBO that I need something in a higher price bracket because these cheaper ones die:D:D
Time will only tell.

Harry72
12th March 2008, 11:28 PM
Undoubtedly a DVR will die in the long run... so will any machine thats used for many hours... even the stubbys Vic's and oneways.
Just buy a lathe if you want one.

ss_11000
13th March 2008, 12:14 AM
that the only thing i can think of about the dvr thats bad.

Harry, the stubbies and vicmarcs etc can have their motors replaced where as the dvr would need the whole headstock replaced (?)

cheers

DavidG
13th March 2008, 08:07 AM
When I looked at the DVR I did not like the speed change.
Nice lathe, fine speed control but it took ages to change from slow to fast. Maybe that is now changed.

I like the VL knob because I am not interested in the actual speed but how it feels and I need to be able to alter the speed quickly.

Taffsmania
13th March 2008, 11:23 AM
<st1:stockticker>From the manual

NOVA</st1:stockticker> DVR XP delivers incredible turning smoothness. With no belts or pulleys to cause vibration, a computer that automatically adjusts performance and solid cast iron construction, the DVR XP is one smooth operator. This delivers the ability to turn faster and more efficiently and cuts down on sanding time. The 5 FAVOURITE SPEEDS function also enables you to preselect your most used speeds, finishing your project faster.
Keith

Harry72
13th March 2008, 09:15 PM
that the only thing i can think of about the dvr thats bad.

Harry, the stubbies and vicmarcs etc can have their motors replaced where as the dvr would need the whole headstock replaced (?)

cheers

Like any electric motor you can get it rewound... would you replace a stubby motor with a cheap piece when you could get the original rewound.
You got to remember here for one of these motors to burn/ware out its needs to be mistreated(not likely on a lathe unless its on purpose)or have many 1000's of hours use.

ss_11000
13th March 2008, 09:47 PM
what does rewinding a motor do??? i've never heard of that before:(

Big Shed
13th March 2008, 09:50 PM

Puts a new rubber band in it?:D

artme
13th March 2008, 10:31 PM
Good answer Big Shed, just slightly short of hilarious!:q:q

Stirlo, did you, or do you do science at school? If your answer is yes you should have covered basic electric motors by now.

Briefly, electric motors have copper wire (lots of it, that's why they are heavy) wound around a central piece called an armature. If the motor overheats this wire can have the thin coating of insulation that is on it burn off. The causes the electickery to go where it's not meant to go which in turn cause burning, smoke and smell. This means the motor has
gone to God. This being the case the armature will need to be removed and rewound with cnew copper wire thus bringing about a wonderful reincarnation.

DavidG
13th March 2008, 10:31 PM
Replaces all the wiring inside the motor with new wire.
Should replace the bearings at the same time.

ss_11000
13th March 2008, 10:40 PM
Replaces all the wiring inside the motor with new wire.
Should replace the bearings at the same time.
thanx for the reply:2tsup:

RETIRED
13th March 2008, 10:41 PM
The smoke gets out of the tubes and they have to put it back in.:wink:

ss_11000
13th March 2008, 10:42 PM
Stirlo, did you, or do you do science at school? If your answer is yes you should have covered basic electric motors by now.
i came 1st in yr ten at my school and got a band 6 in the school certificate in science. either, i didnt listen or we didnt cover it ( bothe are equally as likely lol )
Briefly, electric motors have copper wire (lots of it, that's why they are heavy) wound around a central piece called an armature. If the motor overheats this wire can have the thin coating of insulation that is on it burn off. The causes the electickery to go where it's not meant to go which in turn cause burning, smoke and smell. This means the motor has
gone to God. This being the case the armature will need to be removed and rewound with cnew copper wire thus bringing about a wonderful reincarnationcool:2tsup:.
:cool:

Sawdust Maker
14th March 2008, 08:27 AM
Actually I think it's the electronics that are likely to go in the XP in the long run. Given mother boards in computers can die at the drop of a hat

In any event one hopes that Teknatool does the right thing and keeps spares and repair manuals etc so it can be fixed or refurbished

As Taffsmania says the smoothness is brilliant. The five set speeds are programmable and the change is quick. With the cast iron legs it is also pretty hefty but have had it jumping around. All in all I'm very happy with it:D and SWMBO has almost stopped complaining about the cost

artme
14th March 2008, 04:47 PM
This doesn't seem to be getting Stirlo any closer to his lathe but I think all this information has been wonderful for all of us thinking about a "new" or "another" lathe.
I've looked at the DVR XP and heard about its wonderful abilities from lots of people.
My only slight concern is its very small foot print once you start on somethig really big.
The smaller footprint is a decided advantage in other ways.

rsser
14th March 2008, 05:09 PM
Sorry to be picky, and glad to hear that the posts have been useful to some, but bottom line is you have to be clear on your 'must haves' and 'like to haves' or else advice can't be tailored.

All lathes are good lathes cos they'll do something useful.

And testamonials are not very helpful unless they specify what the user was and was not prepared to make trade-offs on.

Jim Carroll
14th March 2008, 05:10 PM
It all depend on what you are trying to turn.
The DVR can turn anything up to 740mm and quite capable.

The biggest trouble you have is getting timber that big.

As Ern indicates all lathes are a comprimise of what we would like to do one day.

Most people rarely use any lathe to its fullest capability but it is there if we need it.

ss_11000
14th March 2008, 10:21 PM
thanx for your replies fellas, ahh - the things to think about :cool:

NeilS
15th March 2008, 11:27 AM
... turn anything up to 740mm ...

The biggest trouble you have is getting timber that big.

And then selling them when you do. There isn't much of an unmet demand for bowls that big. The market drops off at about 500mm.

Neil

Harry72
15th March 2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah probably... a 740mm bowl takes a lot of salad to fill!
What about platters that size would they sell?