PDA

View Full Version : When it all goes egg-shaped!!!

TTIT
27th February 2008, 01:02 AM
Got inspired by Gray Hawks work on the SA federal courthouse and started work on this project 3 or 4 months ago but everything went pear-shaped when I started gluing the pieces together so I spat the dummy and threw it to the back of the bench in disgust:~. Having a bit of a clean-up a couple of weeks ago and rediscovered the parts so I sat them together and found to my surprise that everything was almost round again. Decided to give it another shot even though it's unlikely to stay in one piece with grain running in 3 different directions. :C
Didn't realise there was mould growing in the sapwood of my Yarran stocks until I turned this - I've since sorted my stockpile humidity problem but will have to use something else next time for a sharper contrast - maybe some of the Myall that's stored at Thunkners. :shrug:
When I originally turned the joining sleeve in pic#4, it was too green and shrank so much overnight that it pulled the glue apart and split in 2. This time around I turned the sleeve from 30 year seasoned ash - very stable!
The pics show the basic turning sequence. I filled the gap by first just putting some shavings in for bulk and flooding it with CA. I then took off any high spots with the Dremel so there was at least 2mm deep gap all the way around. Then proceeded to fill the gap bit by bit with Australian Ebony dust flooded with CA.
I had to go back out to where I felled the tree several months earlier to see if there were any branches still intact to use for the lid and was amazed that months later, left out in the sun and typically harsh conditions we get, the small branches were still solid - no cracking, no mould - nothing - can be lucky sometimes.:U
Extremely happy with the finish on this piece even though it made it difficult to photograph. Yarran reacts strangely to DO but after more than a dozen coats it started to build on the surface. I then cut that right back with EEE and gave it a buffing with Ubeaut Traditional wax - silky smooth and glossy without the 'coated' look - well worth the effort and will be doing this a lot in future. :2tsup:
The stand is also turned from Yarran but was 'ebonized' with black stain and coated with Wipe-on poly followed by the EEE and Traditional wax treatment.
Don't now how many Minties she holds Ern but it would leave ol' ma emu a bit flustered (specially the pointy bit :o )! About 190mm high overall and 100mm wide.
Still can't help thinkin' I should have done the finial out of Ebony - wadjareckin????

La truciolara
27th February 2008, 05:04 AM
Superb!
Not only the technique but the inspiration.
Congratulation

Ad de Crom
27th February 2008, 05:53 AM
WOW, that's a stunning piece of work, love it :2tsup:

wheelinround
27th February 2008, 06:08 AM
TTIT magnificent it just goes to show what can come of a sows ear.

DJ’s Timber
27th February 2008, 06:58 AM
Very different Vern, as usual you have pulled it of well :2tsup:

artme
27th February 2008, 08:14 AM
Brilliant!!:)(:brava
As per bloody usual!!:D:D:D:frustrated:

Stick that in the egg collection!

Sebastiaan56
27th February 2008, 08:19 AM
As usual, amazing work Vern, I would keep the finial as it is, but then again Im a bit nervous once Ive got a piece looking OK

lubbing5cherubs
27th February 2008, 08:27 AM
vern this is just beautiful.
Toni

RufflyRustic
27th February 2008, 09:24 AM
Another unique masterpiece Vern!! :)

cheers
Wendy

tea lady
27th February 2008, 09:30 AM
Lovely shape. Just want to touch it. With both hands. And put it under the jacket, and walk nonchalantly towards the door.:D:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
27th February 2008, 09:32 AM
Good one Vern. :2tsup:

A finial to match the fill in belt around the middle would look good.

BobL
27th February 2008, 09:49 AM
Now that's the duck's nuts!, or is it emu's, hang on it's eggs - whatever?

ptc
27th February 2008, 10:57 AM
, That's a stunning piece of work,!

Gil Jones
27th February 2008, 11:18 AM
Great ideas, and fine work!!!!!!!!!!:2tsup:

hughie
27th February 2008, 01:45 PM
innovative and well excuted. :2tsup:

I think your probably right about the final.

hmmm do you get much ebony up your way?

ss_11000
27th February 2008, 01:52 PM
awesome work vern:2tsup:

OGYT
27th February 2008, 03:54 PM
Never seen anything like this one. Stunning work! You must have a strange mind, Vern. Unique and stunning!

Hardenfast
27th February 2008, 04:03 PM
Quite an amazing finish Vern! I guess the joint gets its strength from the sleeve you have fitted, but the concept of just a CA glue and shavings filler for the gap is somewhat fascinating - especially the ebony dust /CA topping.

Must have used a lot of those little tubes. No probs sanding?

Wayne

Caveman
27th February 2008, 04:28 PM
:2tsup:Amazing piece Vern.:2tsup:

Wot Cliff and Hughie said re. the finial.

In pic. 1, how have you attached the blanks to the chuck???

BernieP
27th February 2008, 06:35 PM
G'Day TTIT

How can you keep bettering yourself each time, that's magic! As far as offering opinion on finial, your the Master.

Cheers
Bernie

funkychicken
27th February 2008, 07:25 PM
Now that's just showing off!

Good work Vern:2tsup:

TTIT
27th February 2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all the very flattering comments everyone - glad you all liked it.:U

.......hmmm do you get much ebony up your way?Not enough :C. Find plenty of young trees but they have next to nothing in them. You have to find real gnarly old trees to get anything decent and even that might only be just a 40 or 50mm core in a 200mm log.

Quite an amazing finish Vern! I guess the joint gets its strength from the sleeve you have fitted, but the concept of just a CA glue and shavings filler for the gap is somewhat fascinating - especially the ebony dust /CA topping.

Must have used a lot of those little tubes. No probs sanding?

WayneIt's a bit like ready-mix concrete Wayne - just add CA and it sets hard real quick! As long as your design won't be affected by the darkening the CA causes, it beats the cr@p out mucking around with epoxies. The ebony dust/CA mix is quite fascinating to watch - from a distance (the fumes are pretty potent). About a minute after you pour the CA on, it starts bubbling and fizzing and smokin' - like something out of a horror movie!:o TIP: Don't use an accelerator - it causes white patches that spoil everything - DAMHIKT :B

:2tsup:Amazing piece Vern.:2tsup:

Wot Cliff and Hughie said re. the finial.

In pic. 1, how have you attached the blanks to the chuck???My usual method to start NE blanks Andy. Drill a shallow hole with a Forstner bit on the drill press to suit whichever jaws you choose. Foolproof really - much shallower hole than needed for a screw chuck, good firm grip and the bottom of the hole is always parallel to the sawn face of the blank.:;

Caveman
28th February 2008, 12:22 AM
My usual method to start NE blanks Andy. Drill a shallow hole with a Forstner bit on the drill press to suit whichever jaws you choose. Foolproof really - much shallower hole than needed for a screw chuck, good firm grip and the bottom of the hole is always parallel to the sawn face of the blank.:;

Yep that'll work well - thanks.

Have never got them screw chuck thingy's to work all that well - don't know why:shrug:.

killerbeast
28th February 2008, 07:44 AM
My usual method to start NE blanks Andy. Drill a shallow hole with a Forstner bit on the drill press to suit whichever jaws you choose. Foolproof really - much shallower hole than needed for a screw chuck, good firm grip and the bottom of the hole is always parallel to the sawn face of the blank.:;

so just to be shure. You drill a hole and use a regular chuck in expand mode?

Cliff Rogers
28th February 2008, 10:08 AM
Yeap, a large shallow hole just deep enough to get a good grip on the chuck jaws.
Get a forstner bit that is just a bit bigger than the outside of your chuck jaws when they are closed.

killerbeast
28th February 2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks i will try that, and why didn't i think of that

Baz
28th February 2008, 07:02 PM
Beautilful work TIT.

Cheers
Barry

Mrs Woodpecker
28th February 2008, 08:31 PM
Spectaculer as usual, and superb craftsmanship. :2tsup::2tsup:

Regards, Shirley

Sawdust Maker
29th February 2008, 07:27 PM
What everybody else said:2tsup:
inspirational work

powderpost
1st March 2008, 10:53 PM
Very interesting job, Vern, and well done. Good to hear you found some ebony, will now add Emerald to the ebony zone.
Jim