PDA

View Full Version : Warning

Elbow
27th February 2008, 02:05 PM
I ordered a forstner bit extension from Carbatec ($31 +P&H) it duly arrived, went to insert the 2 grub screws and the thread was that sloppy they came back out :(attached to the allen key (not included). Fortunately I had the right tap size, so drilled through the other side & threaded.:rolleyes:
You expect things to usable immediately when you buy them:((
Allan

Hardenfast
27th February 2008, 05:24 PM
Nice work & initiative to rectify the problem Allan, but the defective item should have gone straight back to Carbatec for replacement. I understand that you probably needed it for a project straight away and that it would have been a pain in the acre to send it back and wait for the new one to arrive etc, but as you say:

"You expect things to usable immediately when you buy them".

Its therefore important that our suppliers, whether it be Carbatec or others, are made aware of these issues and our extreme dissatisfaction every time they occur. I'm sure they would have been helpful in replacing the piece as quickly as possible, and more importantly, kicking the skinny little a*r*s*e of the offending manufacturer with a pointy-toe boot. I imagine its somewhat impractical for any retailer to check the condition of every single item they sell - especially the smaller items, so its sometimes up to us to confirm that quality control is being maintained.

Having said all that I share your dismay at the general decline in engineering standards that we have seen lately. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you close all of your local manufacturing businesses down and source your goods from countries & companies which pay their workers a comparitive pittance. On the other hand, we all like to see prices for our toys kept ridiculously low, don't we? :-

At the end of the day Carbetec will appreciate the feedback as well, because the last thing they would want is threads like this appearing around the place.

Wayne

TTIT
27th February 2008, 10:17 PM
Gunner - heed the advice on the paperwork regarding grinding flats on any shafts you use in the extension. I ignored it and paid the price :C:~:doh:

joe greiner
28th February 2008, 03:28 AM
At the end of the day Carbetec will appreciate the feedback as well...

And to revise Al Capone's expression, "You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a gun alone."

Joe

Barry Hicks
28th February 2008, 04:10 AM
TTIT, you have me worried with your warning about
grinding flats on shafts used in extensions.

I bought a large forstner bit and an extension piece
over the counter at Carbatec some time back but there
was no accompanying paperwork with warnings. I should
add that I had no trouble with the grub screw thread but I
did drill a shallow hole in the drill for the grub screw to
lock into.

Would you please tell me what the warning was about.

petersemple
28th February 2008, 10:02 AM
Barry,

I haven't had any paperwork with my extention either (from a different source). I was told at the time though to grind a small flat on the shaft so that the locking grup screw has something positive to lock onto and prevent the bit spinning in the shaft. Your shallow hole should do the same thing.

Peter

Elbow
28th February 2008, 01:02 PM
Vern
fortunatley I read the instructions (normally don't) and did so

Wayne
couldn't be bothered sending it back ($8 postage) when it was so easy to fix and I wanted to use it.
Allan

Calm
28th February 2008, 04:26 PM
Allan so how are the s&p grinders going? Will we see photos soon?:D:D

Elbow
3rd March 2008, 02:47 PM
David
on the back burner at the moment

Allan

masterwood
3rd March 2008, 09:57 PM
I ordered a forstner bit extension from Carbatec ($31 +P&H) it duly arrived, went to insert the 2 grub screws and the thread was that sloppy they came back out :(attached to the allen key (not included). Fortunately I had the right tap size, so drilled through the other side & threaded.:rolleyes:
You expect things to usable immediately when you buy them:((
Allan

I know every one of us expect things to be usable immediately but things can happens without sellers control i have done many dealings with carbatec & i have found them very helpful & nice people to deal with.

have you tried to contact them? i'm very sure they are more then happy to deal with your problem instead you are making a such a big deal over something so small.

Masterwood

weisyboy
3rd March 2008, 10:05 PM
i dont think hes amking a big deal just lettig us know to check it out befor we buy it.:2tsup:

thanks for the heas up i was going to get one next week will go in and check it insted of gettign them to send it out.