PDA

View Full Version : glue for window joinery

ChrisH
17th February 2003, 10:06 AM
I am making my own windows out of cypress macrocarpa. I am not an experienced wodworker but I am taking my time and it's coming out fine so far.
-What glue would you recommend for the joints? I am oiling the windows (Aquaoil Timbre Plus Old Gold), NOT painting them. I assume that PVA would not be suitable, is that right??
Thanks.
Chris.

Neal
17th February 2003, 10:39 PM
Chris
Iam deffenitly no expert but for my 2 bobs worth i was after some glue for a bathroom cabinet i was making out of pine ,at the h/ware shop a elderly guy overheard me talking to assistant about it & recommended 24 hour areldite(not 5 min)as it was developed to glue together aeroplanes during the war?.After 7years sold the house & cabinet was still going strong,so it gets my vote plus it mixed well with sawdust to hide mistakes (1 or 2 little ones).

Neal

ChrisH
18th February 2003, 12:13 AM
Hi Neal, thanks for that.
>>>mixing sawdust with glue to fix gaps...
My dad is/was a carpenter, now retired, and when I was a teenager in the seventies he showed me that trick. (sawdust and aquadhere in a gap in a dark stained built in unit).
In woodwork lessons at school I made some wonky gappy thing and said to the teacher, could I mix some glue and sawdust to go in the gap? The teacher fell about laughing, and made some pretty uncomplimentary comments about my Dad's carpentry abilities... Dad's house is now over forty years old and remarkably crack free... a testament to the powers of aquadhere and sawdust mix...
Chris.