funkychicken
28th February 2008, 10:19 PM
Hare and Forbes sell a P+N 12mm bowl gouge for $50
Everywhere else has them for around $64

This also applies to other tools.

Why the price difference?

Frank&Earnest
28th February 2008, 11:04 PM
Any of dozens of reasons, from loss leader to miscoded item. Only their accountant could tell you.

rsser
29th February 2008, 02:33 PM
Are you comparing gouges with handles, or without?

hughie
29th February 2008, 03:57 PM
Hare and Forbes sell a P+N 12mm bowl gouge for $50
Everywhere else has them for around $64

Its probably called 'getting your business' :U Alot of gear they sell is keanly priced, especially after the Sydney Wood Show.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th February 2008, 06:39 PM
What Ern said. I've seen up to around $40 difference (occasionally over! :oo:) in the same store for handled vs. unhandled...

weisyboy
29th February 2008, 07:02 PM
hare and orbs seem to have the best prices round and will reduce them even more with a bit of hageling.

just shows you how mutch markup everybody puts on there stock.

Sawdust Maker
29th February 2008, 07:04 PM
I found Vermec to be pretty keenly priced for unhandled P&N

funkychicken
29th February 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm talking about handled chisels here

If only H&F sold unhandled ones...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th February 2008, 07:57 PM
Why are you even looking at handled prices? You own a lathe, after all, and AFAICT spindle work should be a breeze for you... :U

Groggy
29th February 2008, 08:03 PM
You'd think Hare and Forbes would keep up a web presence, or at least pay their bills (http://enigma.websiteactive.com/suspended.page/).

funkychicken
29th February 2008, 08:15 PM
Why are you even looking at handled prices? You own a lathe, after all, and AFAICT spindle work should be a breeze for you... :U

Yeah I'm just wondering why there's the huge price difference
I can get a handled 12mm gouge for $50 or an unhandled for about $4 less :?

Sawdust Maker
1st March 2008, 07:35 AM
basic economics, supply and demand, different overheads, different purchasing costs, vis a vis what the market will pay

me I hunt around save the $4 it adds up after ten chisels you've saved $40 and can get another, 11 for the price of 10, bargain

and making handles is good practice and costs hardly anything as I use recycled timber (ferrules are cheap, get a length of brass tube and make your own)