PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite Woodworking Mag?

silentC
7th January 2004, 01:29 PM
I'm thinking of subscribing to one or two woodworking mags and I'm interested to know what the general concensus is on the pick/s of the bunch.

craigb
7th January 2004, 01:41 PM
Darren,

I cast my vote for Fine Woodworking.

Aus Wood Review is also good but as I only get one vote FWW is it. ;)

Besides, you'll save more money if you subscribe to FWW.

Cheers
Craig

silentC
7th January 2004, 02:57 PM
Fine Woodworking had the edge but Wood Review is catching up.

But what I'd like to know is why so many people have viewed the thread but only 9 have bothered voting? There's 60+ views and even allowing for returning to check the results, there must have been at least 20 individuals who viewed it. I thought I'd covered all the options and why would you bother to look at a poll if you weren't going to vote? :confused:

Maybe I should have made Penthouse one of the options ;)

craigb
7th January 2004, 03:15 PM
Can you vote if your not a member of the board?

Maybe it's got to do with the high lurker to member ratio.

silentC
7th January 2004, 03:24 PM
Ah, you might have a point there. Well, come on you lurkers, sign up and let us know what you think. The more the merrier.

Call me paranoid but I feel a bit like I'm sitting around a camp fire with a few mates and there's all these eyes watching our every move from the trees :D :D

Sorry Doctor, forgot the medication again...

JackoH
7th January 2004, 04:12 PM
You forgot the English Mag "Woodturning". For those of us whose main hobby is turning.:mad:

Ben from Vic.
7th January 2004, 04:40 PM
I've not Voted yet, I thought I'd explain my vote before I place it.
My answer is..... it depends what you want.
Fine Woodworking is fantastic, beautiful colour pictures, profesional articles, written by highly skilled people. But....
The adds are practicly useless, the articles can be to profesional for the (often) low bugget enthusiest. And the articles can tend to be way to narrow minded, rarly encouraging you to think of new or different ways to solve your problem (other than throwing money at it), like using something other than a table saw to cut your finger joints.
(if your going to get this one, the cheapest way is to subscribe direct to Taunton, or else you'll pay through the nose)

Australian Wood Review is practicly the opposite.
There pictures are almost up to the same standard, the adds are interesting and helpful, the articles often demonstrate and encourage thinking outside the box, they have somewhat usefull tool reviews, the timbers are familar and obtainable, and it's so much cheaper. But...
The articles could do with just a little more profesionalism, as they don't really cater to the enthusiest with a bit more cash.
It somtimes comes accross as a magazine run by a couple of older woodies, but that can be a good thing.

Ideally, I'd subscribe to them both, as they complement each other pretty well.

I guess one is pretty American and the other is pretty Australian.

Totally my own views of course. :D

Ben.

Ps. I've not seen any other magazines worth buying.;)

Sturdee
7th January 2004, 04:46 PM
Darren,

I'll join you around the campfire and ignore those eyes watching us, after all they are only lurkers and not willing to join in the fun.

I am fortunate that I live near 3 major library services so I can borrow the first five magazines you listed easily as well as the British magazine the Woodworker. The American and British mags all use imperial measurements so although they have good ideas the projects are too difficult to follow for a dedicated metric man.

I find that some of the Aussie mags cater for a very narrow type of readers so I opted for Australian Woodsmith.

Peter.

Geoff Allen
7th January 2004, 06:13 PM
Lurking! Make me sound like a crocodile!

I call it looking.

Darren,

Like John Hambly I was looking for the English mag Woodturning.

Actually lurking is probably right whenever either Woodturning or Australian Wood Review should arrive in the letterbox. Both are excellent mags and worth the wait, I also subsribe to The Australian Woodworker (must be my turn to win the subscription prize).

I tried the library but feared that I would be skeletonized by the time by turn to read it came around.

rgds

Geoff

Rocker
7th January 2004, 06:23 PM
I subscribe to the three most popular magazines in the poll so far (FW, AW, & AWR). I don't know if that makes me a fanatic.

I would not agree that the ads in FW are useless. It is often cheaper to buy hand tools and accessories from American or Canadian suppliers, most of which have websites from which you can order online.

I would agree that the Aussie magazines could do with a bit more professionalism; I have found that the editing is not as careful as it should be - nearly always, if I decide to build one of their projects, I find that there are mistakes in dimensions. I was very surprised to be told by the editor of AWR that they do not possess any CAD software.

Gumby
7th January 2004, 06:48 PM
Could be that lots of people are like me. I'm keeping a look out here to see what the general consensus is when it comes to a magazine. I haven't been around that long (in woodworking that is) and as yet haven't subscibed or even thought about purchasing any mags yet. So, I haven't got anything worthwhile to add but I'm 'lurking with intent'. :D

Tonyz
7th January 2004, 08:16 PM
The libraries are great our local is part of TAFE so plenty of the most popular mags there, I spend my money on the photo copier with 3 ring binders at home 1 furniture plans
2 Jigs for workshop and tools
3 other bits and sods
Fww gets my vote Tony

GeoffS
7th January 2004, 10:15 PM
This is one where you really need to be able to number your choices.
My favorite is Fine Woodworking - BUT - at the price it wears I limit my enjoyment to the local library with the occasional borrowing so that I can take some notes from it, (I would never let it get near the photocopier of course!)
I frequently buy Aust Woodsmith which I find has many useful little bits on techniques using modern tools etc.
I occasionaly buy Aust Woodworker for a specific project.
They each have their place, I would buy most of them but then there would be no money left for the important things like wood and tools.
A difficult vote ---
Cheers

gatiep
7th January 2004, 10:21 PM
Woodturning, the Brittish mag gets my vote. AWR I'm afraid is a bit bland. I find the reviews of tools or machines a bit shallow.....almost like they don't want to upset the advertisers.
But I stll buy it just in case something of interest comes up, as I never seem to have time in the shop to browse through it.
The 'imperial books' don't bother me as I grew up with feet and toes, damn, I mean inches.
I would really like to see the Australian magazines give us more on our Australian timbers, not only the exotic, but all the timbers. The Australian population is so diverse in origin, I am sure there are heaps of us that really know very little about our local timbers. Some nice pics of the grain and as true to the real colour as possible.

My 1/2 c's worth
Cya
Joe

Wood Borer
7th January 2004, 10:33 PM
If there is room on the log where the smoke and sparks aren't blowing, I'll have a cold one with you silentC.

Australian Wood Review is my preference for reasons already stated but also many of the authors are professional woodworkers.

I haven't noticed any un-professional articles but then I am not a wordsmith. If an article is written by a good woodworker then I'll understand the ideas, that is why I subscribe to this excellent magazine.

- Wood Borer

TrentTheThief
7th January 2004, 10:42 PM
I enjoy Popular Woodworking (www.popwood.com). I only yesterday picked up my first Fine Woodworking. I've been reading Fine Homebuilding for some time, though.

Woodgrub
7th January 2004, 11:39 PM
:( :( :(
WE should all be supporting the localy produced Australian Magazines first !!!
Even if the OS Mags seem to be better.

Which they should be if you look at the population of America and England and the massive volume of mags that they sell each month and also the amount of advertisers

At least we have the choice of very different magazines, running on a very limited bugdet and with only a low volume of magazines printed each month.

I also think that we Aussie Woodworkers do a very good job at producing some fine magazines, with articles that are up to date, not to technical for the average Joe Blow and with reviews and testing of products that are equal if not better than some of the other OS Mags.

:) After all look at the Aussies that built the Triton, Giffkins Jig, Ubeat Polishes, Etc. need we say more?

My vote goes to AW, AWR & Woodsmith Equally.

Regards, :D :D :)

Iain
8th January 2004, 07:37 AM
Australian Woodsmith, even though the hints and tips with the offer of a free subscription are a bit sus.
I have seen the same hints and tips in the USA variety up to a year earlier yet we are conned into believing that a 'local' has taken the pot of gold.
That aside, some of the projects are good and easy to follow.
Product reviews are somewhat non committal but I live with that.

silentC
8th January 2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. Looks like AWR and FWW are on the must have list. No surprises there. I've bought both off the stand in the past.

I apologise to the turners for not including Woodturning. The poll only allows you 10 options and I overlooked this one as I'm not in to woodturning in a big way (yet). That's why I put the "other" option there and you have highlighted my ignorance, so thanks.

I also overlooked scroll sawing, carving, intarsia, pyrography etc., so apologies to anyone else whose favourite magazine wasn't there.

Good points about the advertising. To be honest, I tend not to look at the ads much anyway, being one of the TV generation my brain switches them off.

Also good point Joe on the reviews. In the past, I've seen magazines with a review of a product and, on the next page, a full page ad for the same product. I think I'd look elsewhere for impartial reviews.

Thanks again everyone. No-one was offended by the lurking remark, I hope? It did elicit some responses ;)

Zed
8th January 2004, 08:14 AM
I voted for AWR. I like the colour pics ... I find that if I like something I want to make I can suss out whats involved simply because the photography is usually of high quality. eg: in the last issue there was a picture of a carving called "tree" made from a jarrah burl - I love it - I will make one for myself one day

the things I like most about AWR are :

good spread of oz wide ads (inc schooling etc...)
pic quality
article quality
no pictures of bikini's draped over a felder!
quarterly publication thus I can afford to buy rather than borrow
less repetative nature of article subject
at the last sydney wood show I went to the stand to buy back copies and the lady let me buy 8 mags for $40 then threw in another 3 for free....

the things I dislike are :
when comparing tools or machinary they mostly DO NOT state implicitly "this is the best tool" they simply state that this one is ok for this and this one is ok for that. I want definative opinions dammit!!! especially for high end machinary - I wouldnt mind them introducing a weighting system of measures that allocated points on toolware features.
The web page is basically an ad with letters to the editor thrown in.

anyway thats my bit - i'll throw another log on - surely the fire is getting lower by now....

oges
8th January 2004, 08:41 AM
Scrollsaw Workshop is my main wood magazine, but also get the Australian Woodworker at times

silentC
8th January 2004, 08:43 AM
Have you ever noticed when you're sitting around a fire that there is always someone who the smoke follows? We had this guy when I used to go walking who always attracted the smoke. We made him sit on the other side of the fire to keep the smoke away from us. If he came around and sat on the other side, the smoke would invariably follow him around. Quite eerie, actually.

On the subject of reviews and ratings, I suppose they could be a bit less non-commital in their findings. However, the problem is how to develop a rating system that is equitable.

There was an article in the SMH a couple of months ago in which the journo decided he was going to answer the ultimate question: which is better, Mac or PC? In the end, his finding was that the Macintosh was better, even though he only scored the Mac higher than the PC in 2 out of 6 categories.

The one that clinched it for him was 'Style & Design', where he gave the PC 4/10 and the Mac 9/10. This obliterated the differences in the other 5 categories and made the Mac the outright winner. But if you were buying a home computer, would you put the look of the thing ahead of the availability of software?

So how would you come up with a scale that reflected what was really important in a product? The best they could probably do would be to have a number of categories, such as "value for money", "accuracy", "ease of setup" etc. and give a score on each. Then you would have to decide how important each of those categories was to you and whether you could accept 2/10 for "ease of setup" if "value for money" was 8/10.

I think I'd better have another beer...

Ruffy
8th January 2004, 09:23 AM
I voted for FWW but I also subscribe to AWR and AWW so they should get a vote from me as well. The other 2 mags that I subscribe to are WOOD and Shopnotes. Yes I know that is 5 mags but I get a little out of each that the others do not have. It sets me back around $250 a year for them all but for the knowledge etc that I gain I consider it a small price.

If I only learn one thing from each then it is a huge bonus for me :D

I agree however with what several other have pointed out, in a couple of the Aussie produced mags they are direct reprints of the US ones with dimensions and materials changed for Australia, this however IMHO is not a bad thing as it means I do not have to do that work myself and gives me more time to create sawdust.

Sir Stinkalot
8th January 2004, 09:45 AM
I voted (and subscribe to) Australian Wood Review as it is well produced with high quality photos and it is aimed towards the middle to upper end of the market. I find the ads to be one of the best parts ..... finding new products that are available in Australia and at Australian prices. I also like to look at the small ads in the back of the smaller suppliers and check out websites if they have them ...... there really should be an increase of the smaller suppliers putting their products on line to at least view if not buy.

I also subscribe to Australian Woodworker. The quality isn't as high and many of the projects are lacking design quality but what the hell ..... it reminds me very much of this board :D . My view of this mag seems to be more aimed at the retired weekend woodie .... but that being said I don't complain when it comes in.

I bought Australian Toymaker who is by the Australian Woodworker people ..... its an annual publication but I felt that it was of a low standard. Many of the toys made were poorly finished in both quality of construction and presentation, the designs were from the ark and I wasn't at all enspired. The train toybox was amoung the best. Something about seeing a toy car that resembles the Flintstones mobile with out of round 19mm pine wheels doesn't float my boat. Sorry.

I also subscribe to the following but that is for different reasons ....

Architecture Australia
Houses
Australian Jaguar
Renew.

So there you have it a snap shot of Stinkies bedtime reading :)

George
8th January 2004, 01:23 PM
My vote is with Australian Wood Review. I find this to be a professional looking publication with some good project ideas and interesting articles. As some others have said the tool “reviews” are a bit weak though. These often seem to be a list of what is available and what the features and prices are. Never seems to be any real comparison or criticism. I like the American tool reviews where they provide opinions, even if they can be subjective.

I’m not a big fan of Australian Woodworker. The Neil Scobie furniture plans are good but in general the content is not what I’m interested in. For me there is too much emphasis on carving and turning. The magazine also seems to supplement the content with a lot of articles from home enthusiasts which give it a bit a low budget feel. The home enthusiasts are obviously talented and enjoy their work but some of the projects are pretty obscure and I can’t see they would have wide appeal (eg building a rose engine, hobo pliers, carving miniature bellows?). Anyway, I’m sure some people love it but it’s not my cup of tea.

Cheers
George

eddie the eagle
8th January 2004, 07:32 PM
I've voted for Fine Woodworking, although Australian Wood Review comes a close second.

Another not mentioned is Furniture and Cabinetmaking out of the UK - it's authors and editors are cabinetmakers and it's similar quality of articles on a slightly cheaper paper. www.gmcmags.com (no affiliation)

I teach woodwork for a living and find that these three cover most furniture requirements (but not carving or turning, as previously said).

Cheers,

eddie

snappperhead
8th January 2004, 09:32 PM
to me fine woodworking is a fine magazine indeed, but some of their articles etc are very elitist and to far from the normal amateur. furniture and cabinetmaking is by faaaaaaar the best magazine around. comes in at around 12.20 from the uk and has brilliant, practical and inspiring articles. david charlesworth is a regular contributer, which i really enjoy. they also use euro/australian machines (actual crosscut tables, no phucking sleds without guards!).

peace

riffi1
9th January 2004, 11:10 PM
I subsribed to AWR at the last Working With Wood show but also buy Aussie Woodworker at the newsagents as each issue arrives. Both are good but cater to slightly different markets. I feel AWR gives info about the high end which most of us aspire to but Woodworker is aimed at where we are really at. I am very much a novice so can learn from pretty much anywhere at tjis stage. Would love to see a Triton specific mag come out if any publishers are reading this forum!!!!!!!!!!:D

Tankstand
10th January 2004, 11:00 AM
I don't subscribe to any magazines as my postie (I'm sure)
takes delight in creasing them in half and ramming them
into my letter box tearing the pages. :mad:
I have the newsagent hold my copies of AWW & AWS :D

I suppose I'll have to cave in and buy an Ozzy Post "Approved" letterbox.

jhunt_2000
10th January 2004, 10:02 PM
Yup, Woodturning magazine. As a beginner I see things in it I haven't seen before, even after reading my late teacher's half a dozen woodturning books.

Driver
11th January 2004, 09:31 PM
I subscribe to both AWR and Fine Woodworking. They're both excellent. And different. After a lot of agonising, I voted for Fine Woodworking because, having only returned to woodwork after a very long interval, I find that it is more instructive in basic techniques so it gives me more help where I need it most.

AWR is a very good publication. I particularly like the fact that it showcases excellence in design and workmanship. If you use the two publications as a reflection of the state of woodworking in Australia and the US, it seems to me that Aussie woodworkers have a definite edge in modern design.

Col

Oldblock
14th January 2004, 07:08 PM
You'd better put me down for FWW. Bought a copy of an Oz one which was alright, so good I cant remember what it was called, as one of your respondents put it 'a bit bland' but what upset me was the typeface (font?) it gave the mag a sort of fussy look.
ShopNotes is a bit too basic for my needs, tried a year's subscription but haven't renewed.

Been subscribing to FWW for about ten years now there's nothing to compare for sheer publishing quality but Yanks insularity is breathtaking.

There. I voted.

dale
14th January 2004, 08:00 PM
I suppose I'll have to cave in and buy an Ozzy Post "Approved" letterbox. [/B]

Buy?...Buy??? I thought the appropriate verb would be "make" :-)

craigb
15th January 2004, 01:38 PM
So its FWW by a nose to AWR, daylight third. :D

silentC
15th January 2004, 01:53 PM
Looks that way. Wouldn't have gotten very good odds for the win and the place. Probably not the triffecta either.

Subscribed to both the other day, now waiting to see what all the fuss is about :p

rabster
16th January 2004, 12:16 PM
I vote AWR. Considering the small size of the Oz market compared to the US and UK, I think they do a pretty good job. Good articles, good contributers, and good production values.

Bob Willson
6th March 2004, 09:46 AM
First off, I work for Aussie Post and I take exception to the remark that we just ram the mail into letter boxes. I will have you know that the amount of force we use is carefully calculated to Just remove the outside covers and to disfigure the inside contents in some critical areas only. We are professionals, not some damned cowboys. :)

I have just subscribed to Fine Woodworking. That in itself was an ordeal and an excersise in frustration. It took about 20 goes using their $%^& website (and still failing) before I gave up and just sent them an email asking to be subscribed.

I also subscribe to Australian Woodsmith. This is (I believe) a direct rrip off of their American mother mag. I have made several of their projects and have often found that they are using Imperial measurements and then just swapping the measurements into metric. This has been much improved of late, so they may now be actually using CAD software to do the redrawing. Still, I like the detail that they go into and have not had many problems with their mag

I also get (subscribe) to The Australian Woodworker. Mainly, because of the Neil Scobie designs. He designs elegant pieces that are not too difficult to make well.

Also included in this magazine are some jigs by a brilliant Australian jig maker. I don't know if you have heard of him but he goes by the name of David Dundas. I understand that he is quite old and now spends most of his time in a rocking chair. Ah well, comes to us all in the end I suppose. :)

silentC
8th March 2004, 09:53 AM
I arrived back home on Saturday from 2 weeks' leave and was welcomed by the latest issues of FWW and AWR. Could've used them when sitting around the pool in Surfers to break the tedium of swimming and chasing the kids.

Bob, I'm sorry to say but our local postie Greg needs to be sent on a refresher course. Not only were the covers intact but the plastic wrap was still in place as well. I do hope it wont count against his promotion.

I understand that with the weather cooling down a bit up there of late, David will be spending more time in his shed and less in his rocker.

Bob Willson
8th March 2004, 02:40 PM
Preomototion? There ain't gunna be no promotion for this little incompetent. He has already had all the training he's gunna get.
What is his last name? I will see to it that he is drummed out of the service in disgrace. How do you think it makes all the other posties feel when they hear that the side has been let down like this? I will also see to it that his pension and super are revoked. We just cannot have one bad apple in the barrel letting us all be tarred with the same feather.

(Mixed metaphors a speciality)

silkwood
22nd April 2004, 10:08 PM
I've already voted on this poll, for Fine Woodworking, to which I subscribe. I have just been going through the latest AWR, of which I buy most issues, and decided to make further comment.

Firstly, the comparison reviews they do are generally awful. The latest one on drills doesn't describe the testing format well, doesn't explain the scoring or rating system adequately and to top it off uses each drill after one charge, despite admitting that the manufacturers recommend multiple charges to obtain the best results. Better quality battery systems, including the more sophisticated chargers, will improve immensely, whilst the more budget units will improve little if at all. Additionally, little was done to explain why different units were preferred over others.

AWR reminds me a little of the opposite of most of the pommie mags (apologies, but then I was born in Manchester myself). Their mags seem to have terrific detail on tools and techniques, but the work displayed often tends to the pedestrian, and that's being kind.

AWR has many truly dreadful articles and often simpers ad nauseum over it's advertisers product (take the recent article on Forestry Tasmania, it would be difficult to find a more biased perspective) yet the work shown is often amazing, usually beautiful.

Having said all of that, it is often very good and I love being able to read about quality work from an Australian perspective. I've probably got up a few noses out there, time to blast the newcomer!

Cheers,

Woodgrub
23rd April 2004, 11:04 PM
WHAT NO RESPONCE TO THE NEWCOMMER YET

iT'S BEEN A DAY AND A HALF NOW

And whats more he's an admitted Pom

If ya don't like em then don't by em

Regards

Bob Willson
24th April 2004, 09:39 AM
What sort of a response do you want Woodgrub?

I agree with almost everything that silkwood says. I personally do not like AWR and although I sometimes buy it, I am usually a bit disappointed with the contents. I believe that it is generally directed more towards the professional rather than the enthusiast.

Re your comment:

And whats more he's an admitted Pom If ya don't like em then don't by em

You are not actually allowed to buy Poms. Slavery was outlawed (in the west) some time ago. It was always a waste of time and money to own the Pommie ones anyway as they never worked very well.

Oldblock
24th April 2004, 01:37 PM
Re Bob Wilson's comments about FWW website, I have to agree. Trying to subscribe or renew an FWW subscription online if you dont live in the US is a bit like trying to extract teeth.

How such an excellent publication can be so inept about it's overseas customers puzzles me.

They send a little letter reminding me to renew, the fact that they have addressed it to me in in Australia seems to escape their attention. They keep on sending them even if you renew by snail mail. I'm retired and stopped writing out chques and sticking down envelopes about two or three years ago and pay all my bils over the phone or online.

Each year I run the gauntlet of their website but my failing memory prevents me from remembering how I conquered it the previous year and to date I have had:

One subscription not renewed
Two subscriptions renewed but with the wrong address, this took about four email exchanges to get it right.
And finally, One subscription not renewed but treated as a new subscriber resulting in two magazines arriving just days apart.

A visit to the website to correct the error resulted in another session of trying to beat the 'I dont live in America' syndrome.

Maybe we should start a poll rating subsribing online to overseas magazines.

I'll keep you posted about my latest spat with Taunton Press.

Ray

silkwood
24th April 2004, 08:32 PM
Bob's right, I don't (but I am Cheap).

Cheers,

Woodgrub
24th April 2004, 10:05 PM
TO BOB WILSON

I meant no harm to a person, I meant to be refering to the magazine.

My public and humble apology. :confused:

Bob Willson
25th April 2004, 10:23 AM
Hey woodgrub

We all knew what you meant, my reply was a deliberate misunderstanding of what you wrote.

No need to apologise. :)

Iain
25th April 2004, 10:46 AM
What does humble mean (apart from a pie filling)?:p

Woodgrub
26th April 2004, 12:34 AM
VERB Humble 'humbul

1. Cause to fee shame; hurt the pride of
2. Cause to be unpretentious

:D :D :D

Shakaen
18th May 2004, 11:14 AM
Fine Woodworking for now, but I am getting a little sick of the increasing amount of advertising that is included. Other than that the articles are great and well illustrated.

Tip hunter
26th June 2004, 09:30 AM
I like the woodworker its a pommy mag with good variety and reviews a bit closer aligned to the stuff i am currently interested in. I access it with my favourite tool (the library card) when i don't buy it. Good variety and less "glossy" than some of the others. More step by step and i feel more bang for buck in the reviews which suit me as i am in the setting up stage. Ie review of tools i may actually and will buy rather than 7 pages on a hotley plane worth $7g

John Saxton
26th June 2004, 01:39 PM
I dont subscribe anymore to any one mag but tend to only buy depending on a quick perusal of the content in the bookshop but in the main its AWW,FWW, and 'furniture & cabinet making" a pommie mag with reasonable content aside from the ads.

cheers :)

Tip hunter
26th June 2004, 10:00 PM
A little varied from the thread but does anyone else get annoyed by the price comparison betwen these magazines and whole on-topic dedicated book. It doesn't take too many $8 , $9 and $10 dollar magazines before you could have had a book such as those available at carbatec or through AWR that is comprehensive on a topic. My absolute pet hate is a dragged out article over several issues. 3 pages at a monthly interval about a topic or project of interest is my idea of torture. Eg The kitchen installing articles streched over 3 bimonthly issues of the family handyman totaling only around 13 pages vs a BH&G book which was only $25 at Magnet Mart completely dedicated to installs of maybe 150 pages.

Caliban
26th June 2004, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Ben from Vic.] like using something other than a table saw to cut your finger off.

Totally my own views of course. :D

Ben.

Ben
You better hope none of the hand tool crew, like Derek or Darrylf read this post or you'll be in trouble, I personally nearly cut my finger off with a piece of 80grit wet and dry this arvo. I was trying to flatten a Stanley 12-204 plane. My initial attempt was on a 600grit paper. but that only put a shine on 10mm on either end of the plane. The part where the lade is was 1mm off the paper. Several hours and several pieces od 60grit later, there was only small part behind the blade that was still untouched. So muggsy decides to put downward pressure on that part. Put his finger straight through the opening for the blade didn't he? You better believe it hurt. F$%k me it is still tender, pushing a part of your finger over 60grit in the frog opening of a number 4 really f$%king hurts. So what have I learned? 500 odd dollars for a Lie Nielson is money well spent, How crap are the modern Stanleys?
It will eventually be ok but how much machining would it have taken them to save me 8 or 9 hours of pain? and possibly ten dollars worth of 120 grit paper.

Caliban
26th June 2004, 10:46 PM
Sorry guys
Got carried away ther, forgot to mention that I like the Australian woodsmith, I find AWR to be too arty farty. The fine wood magazine would be ok if it wasn't full of articles using timbers that are commonplace in the US but rare as RHS in this country. IMHO none of them are worth a subscription. I'm with Bob, a quick perusal then either put it back or buy it! Problem solved.
Who needs mags with this forum anyway??????

vsquizz
27th June 2004, 12:33 AM
I like the Australian woodsmith, I find AWR to be too much arty farty crap and second rate reviews
Yep, I'm guilty, I subscribe to AWR and being a slow learner it took awhile to wake up to the "influences" in the reviews. Not enough sawdust and details. I look forward to the book reviews which often don't tell you the book's country of origin. It fills a special place in my dunny, but its too glossy......

Woodgrub
27th June 2004, 12:43 AM
I was trying to flatten a Stanley 12-204 plane. Hovo,
You should have sent the blasted plane back if it was that far out.
1mm+ no wonder that it took you 8hrs.
I think i would had used my belt sander first.

Caliban
27th June 2004, 10:05 AM
Skull
It was a present from some friends and I didn't have a receipt. I still haven't finished it.

jstevens
5th July 2004, 08:27 PM
My vote goes for Australian Woodsmith Magazine. I've got every issue from the beginning. I've made lots of their projects with out any hassel. Mistakes are very rare and unlike other Australian magazines I have worked from, their measurements do add up. Of course they have adapted their articles from American Woodsmith so some of the sizing isn't easily available in Brisbane. I usually adapt to suit Tasmanian Oak in 19mm.
Anyway I do think the Australian wood industry needs a shot in the arm. I do think they could do better with the accuracy of their milling.
I have a subscription to US Finewoodworking - its quite affordable by subscription. Marvellous magazine, but maybe a bit ahead of my level of skills. Australian Woodsmith as almost, and I say almost, idiotproof. If you follow the instructions carefully its really great and they do deserve your support I think.
yours in woodworking JOhn in Brisbane.

jstevens
5th July 2004, 08:37 PM
I've got every issue of Australian Wood smith and I swear by it. I've made lots of their projects. Errors are very rare. If you follow the instructions you can't go too far wrong. I know they are adapting from the US Woodsmith so some of the measurements need some re designing is sometimes necessary to suit what is available in Brisbane. I usually re adapt to suit Tasmanian Oak 19mm as much as I can. I also have a subscription to the US Fine Woodworking which is marvellous, but a bit above my skill level at present perhaps!
Cheers from John in Brisbane.

Bob Willson
6th July 2004, 06:01 AM
That's one hell of a stutter you have there John. :)

Honest Gaza
13th July 2004, 03:34 PM
Used to buy this magazine that came out every 2 - 3 months from England. Not sure if it is still available or not but haven't seen it around lately.

It was devoted entirely to the Router....lots of useful hints and jigs to make.

craigb
29th July 2004, 10:20 AM
I still see it occasionally. Most recently last week.

It's interesting that when this poll first started, Fine Woodworking was the clear winner. Since then Aus Wood Review has come home with a wet sail.

kiwigeo
3rd August 2004, 11:30 PM

But what I'd like to know is why so many people have viewed the thread but only 9 have bothered voting? There's 60+ views and even allowing for returning to check the results, there must have been at least 20 individuals who viewed it. I thought I'd covered all the options and why would you bother to look at a poll if you weren't going to vote? :confused:

Im probably like alot of others in this forum....I buy more than one woodie mag and most of them have good stuff in them. I rated Fine Woodworking as top choice only because I couldnt vote for more than one mag. I buy most of the Australian mags on a regular basis as well as occasional purchases of some of the Britich ones. I also get the Guild of American Luthiers quarterly mag on subscription.

I havent done a tot up on my monthly magazine bill but it would be fairly hefty....add in the cup of coffee I have to buy immediately after buying a mag because I cant wait till I get home to read same and the bill soars even higher.

Ivan in Oz
3rd August 2004, 11:40 PM
I'll read them at the Library when I'm flogging the kids into doing some study,
else at the news agents.
I'll buy whichever has something of 'standout' intrest.

Count
NO! i don't flogg the kids,
but from the looks I get when I "require" them to do some homework..... WOW :eek:

kiwigeo
3rd August 2004, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=silentC]But if you were buying a home computer, would you put the look of the thing ahead of the availability of software?

[QUOTE]

Most definitely...Im right into lurking around Qantas club lounges looking for people with their PC laptops open....in particular the ones who have obviously just bought there machine and have it open mainly to show off their new purchase rather than to do any work on them.

I quietly sidle up and sit down beside them and crack open the mighty Ti-book. Up comes the lovely boot up theme and on comes the cute little lit up apple logo on the back of the screen. First there are sideways glances from the hapless PC owner which are soon replaced by a mesmorised stare.....soon the poor chum is drooling down the front of his shirt.................

silentC
4th August 2004, 09:00 AM
soon the poor chum is drooling down the front of his shirt
Yeah right, a non-Mac user drooling over a Mac. Do you REALLY expect us to believe that? The only people I've ever seen go into fits of ecstasy over those Titanium Mac laptops are the owners. It's a wonder they can see the screen for the steamy mist and the drool.

Is it true that the illuminated Apple logo was upside on the first few batches?

bitingmidge
4th August 2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah right, a non-Mac user drooling over a Mac. Do you REALLY expect us to believe that? The only people I've ever seen go into fits of ecstasy over those Titanium Mac laptops are the owners. It's a wonder they can see the screen for the steamy mist and the drool.

Funny you should say that, I have an aluminium one (the titanium replacement) - I was just going to replace my white iBook and sort of got talked into it, and glad I did because it is a terrific machine....I'm a BIT cynical about flashy stuff and the people who have to have it so really didn't want one.... I have to carry a rag to wipe of other people's dribble whenever I open it in public....in fact I rarely do anymore because of all the nerds that actually come up and ask me stuff about it.

IT'S JUST A COMPUTER ...GET A LIFE!!

With regard to the logo, no the first few batches weren't built with the logo upside down....a whole model line was!

From memory the original G3 PowerBook was designed to be carried with the logo right way up, but when the machine was open it was inverted. I don't see what the fuss is about, I've never seen the back of my screen with the thing open anyway. Well just once I looked to see what the glowing Apple looked like....cool actually!!

Cheers,

P
(Still reading FWW to keep this on thread)

Kris.Parker1
5th August 2004, 11:26 PM
Just started out - live in Darwin - not a big selection - DAG NABBITT

wonnie
13th December 2004, 11:21 AM
the logo thing is cool, except for when you would love to have that little bit of extra battery when it dies :D

beejay1
2nd February 2005, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately dont have access to the aussie ones, but read :

American woodworker, the woodworker, good woodworking,practical woodworking,furniture & cabinet making,new woodworking, traditional woodworking. Plus fine woodworking when i can find it.
only problem is i hate throwing them out and now have a hall cupboard full of the bloody things so ive eased up buying them now...otherwise i wouldnt have space for the mucky mags!!
I find in many of the mags that articles/features start to repeat after a while and tend to stop buying them when that happens.
beejay1

MathewA
13th February 2005, 05:30 PM
Playboy... It's not about woodworking but it'll give ya some wood:D

MathewA
13th February 2005, 05:32 PM
Only on the Aussie ones. They were right side up to us up here.

Woodlice
27th February 2005, 01:44 AM
Its great to see so many resourceful fella's on the forum. Means Im not the only one to skimp on the wallet and walk to the local library. I've only just looked into magazines myself recently, and I thought of the library as the best place to get a look at a few different ones closeup, rather than a cover page on the web.

So far AWS has my vote, and I ordered some back issues last night actually. I think I will be visiting the library and look out for interesting projects there (so as to avoid paying for all the crap) and purchase the issues that grab me by the throat. Im another who doesnt read the reviews/adverts. Too much of a cynic. Why take the word of a mag, when you can get heaps of first hand advice from a forum.

Im a practical kinda hobbiest who hasnt got time for frivolous projects just yet. Still learning how to use most of the equipment I have (plus hand tools,) let alone buy that that I dont have etc... So, with magazines I'll just keep going the way I am for now. Books are a different matter.

J!

Jill
7th June 2005, 10:50 AM
Keep the fire burning, SilentC - I am sure most who read this thread would be appreciative of the info it contains, but perhaps not so confident in putting forward their opinion, like me. I only buy the odd woodworking magazine, and will buy whatever magazine has the inspiration for me at the time. I do buy The Owner Builder magazine regularly, though, and their website has links to some projects with some inspirational woodwork on a grand scale!

Cheers,

Jill

P.S. Watch those eyes!

RufflyRustic
7th June 2005, 02:53 PM
Lets see

Better Homes and Garden - it was a gift subscription ok!!! :)
Country Looks/Style/Decorator/Collector - very occasionally - great for pictures and ideas for things to build, only need a picture sometimes :D

Family Handyman - was good until they changed the style and format, and when did they change it???? the month after I renewed my subscription!!!!! :mad: *b********* *b************ *f************* *x************

Other than that, I buy wood mags that interest me specifically, doesn't matter what country they are published in, though I tend to buy Aussie mags more as they cost less.

Otherwise I normally read them cover to cover in the Library.

cheers
RufflyRustic

alf t
7th June 2005, 06:07 PM
On a recent trip to Vic I purchased a US based wood mag called "Woodwork"
It had Wendy Maruyama on the cover..April issue. They have a us website and the mag is excellent. I think it cost about $10 au.
I have tried to find the distributor but no luck. Has any of the Vic woodies seen it and know where I can get it in Aus?
Alf

numbat
9th June 2005, 04:13 PM
Actually I like a DVD magazine called woodworkingathome (look here http://www.woodworkingathome.com ) Dean has done a review of it at onlinetoolreviews. I think it pretty good - it is basically a DVD that plays and you can select the segment you want from a menu - it also has PDF transcripts of the projects with plans. I just took a 1 year subscription - 6 issues for $US50.

In the more traditional paper stuff I like the US finewoodworking.

Cheers

TEEJAY
17th August 2005, 04:00 PM
Presently subscribed to AWR and have been for a few years. I find the occassional pearl amongst a lot of oysters. Do like the furniture articles especially by Toowoomba Frank. I also find tips about tuning machines worthwhile - such as the planer and bandsaw. I am always in humour about their articles and photographs where the craftman is measured by how big is his handplane or how small is the tenon saw. No photo seems allowed unless there are glimses of these somewhere and no sign of machine tools. Next year I will most likely scan the newsagent for any of the magazines that appear to offer something of interest.

HoutBok
26th August 2005, 06:07 AM
Haven't seen any of the Oz magazines over here - I subscribe to FWW and Popular Woodworking and buy Furniture and Cabinetmaking when there are articles of interest to me.

Don't you find that the issue you can't get your hands on is the one with the continuation of an article you particularly want? That's the only reason I started subcribing - our news agent is useless at holding onto anything.

Waldo
2nd September 2005, 07:54 PM
G'day,

I don't subscribe to any of them, just to the C/T and H/F catalogues coz they're free. :D

I lurk at times in the newsagent, after looking at any g/design magazines I might wandder over and flick thorugh the mags mentioned. Might get one one day if has something I want - but first I have an endless desire for more and more tools in the shed. :D

j.stevens
2nd December 2005, 09:52 PM

got my attention!

strictly-wood
4th December 2005, 04:59 AM
re: router/lathe thank you to all who sent me info. i am an avid woodworker, but as a result of an accident i have very limited use of one arm... still want to play with wood. so i am just figuring ways that i can continue. thanks again ----- George
stay safe

Lignum
6th December 2005, 12:39 PM
Two other worthy inclusions.

One was a mag i used to get in the late 90`s untill it stopped being sold called "WOODSHOP news" it was the same format as the daily news paper. its aimed at the professional American market, but was a wealth of infomation. Fabulous mag. It is still over there but im not sure if any newsagents stock it here. http://www.woodshopnews.com/ME2/Default.asp

And the other whilst not a magazine but the best bedtime read was the "older" Garet wade catalogues. The new ones sux. The old ones are fantastic how to catalogues with page after page of not only all the tools but everything you wanted to know about their use and maintanance. Lucky i still have a few to keep me company at night in bed:o