PDA

View Full Version : rosewood 2

bowl-basher
2nd March 2008, 06:25 PM
Hi all
Thanks for the response to my request for ideas for the Rosewod fence post
I took the plunge and cut a lump off to make a bowl
The closest I could come to getting the bowl centered is in the pics atached it left a section of natural edge and I am not sure if this is the best way to approach this Any suggestions would be most welcome
Bowl Basher:doh:

wheelinround
2nd March 2008, 06:43 PM
BB thats stunning work

:2tsup:

The closest I could come to getting the bowl centered is in the pics atached it left a section of natural edge and I am not sure if this is the best way to approach this Any suggestions would be most welcome

Not sure I understand you question

I think your asking if the natural edge you've produced is the way to do it.
Certainly did a top job there.
must have had some scary moments:o

Ad de Crom
2nd March 2008, 10:34 PM
BB, not quite a natural edge, but it looks very nice.
Maybe better to make a bowl without a natural edge?
BTW. this wood is very beautiful.

thefixer
2nd March 2008, 11:21 PM
I like it, a lot. I think its fantastic to know that you can create something that cannot be recreated or copied. There's a lot to be said for uniquity.

Cheers
Shorty

OGYT
3rd March 2008, 09:29 AM
"Uniquity" describes it well. Nice work! Way to save a derelict post! Beautiful wood.

artme
3rd March 2008, 10:38 AM
You have a difficult problem with your timber. It is beautilful timber, as your turnings show.
However, You need to think more carefully about the prortions of your work. There is liitle point in turnining not so beautiful forms from beautiful timber.
Sorry to seem harsh in my appraisal, but that is how I see it.

rsser
3rd March 2008, 05:50 PM
Nat edge stuff is often difficult to centre to get a balanced rim.

Only tip I can give is to start roughing between centres, driven with a spur drive.

Then when you get an idea of whether you're off centre, reposition the timber on the spur drive.

Make sense?

Evan Pavlidis
4th March 2008, 04:43 AM
Very good use of an otherwise destined for the scrap heap piece of timber. Rosewood is a very attractive and easy to turn timber. If I had a piece with those dimensions I'd be making enclosed bowls or small lidded boxes.

Cheers, Evan

oldiephred
4th March 2008, 10:58 AM
ARTME: Not sure I understand your concern about the bowl proportions. What would you do different and why? I think it is a beautiful piece of work and, although it might have turned out different if I had made it , or maybe not, I think it demonstrates a lot of talent (and daring).

rsser
4th March 2008, 12:39 PM
Perhaps take a look at Raffan's book, Turned Bowl Design.

An updated issue was being worked on last year acc. to Richard.

It's all about how it meets the eye.

artme
4th March 2008, 02:19 PM
Goes to show that we all have different ideas, Oldiephred.
I have been in touch with bowl-basher concerning the design elements that concerned me. If it is OK by him I will give a brief account of this in a later post.:):)

rsser
4th March 2008, 02:35 PM
Goes to show that we all have different ideas, Oldiephred.

Zaccly.

And one idea is not as good as any other, even allowing for variation in aesthetic tastes.

Tony Morton
4th March 2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Bowl Basher

As some of the others have said design doesnt grab me particulary the natural edge with that shape. I think I can see a beter shape with the bowl cut from the blank the other way up. Good work to keep the natural edge on this kind of timber.

Cheers Tony

artme
4th March 2008, 09:01 PM
Zaccly.

And one idea is not as good as any other, even allowing for variation in aesthetic tastes.

I often have discussions covering all sorts of topics where the ideas of difference , or better, or not as good come up.
My basic attitude is that things are not necessarily better or worse, they are different. It is difference that makes the world such an interesting place in which to live.

Having said that, I'm still convineced that my ideas are better than most!:p:p:p:p

powderpost
4th March 2008, 10:19 PM
I think with that nice timber, I would not go for a 'natural' edge bowl, but use it for a nice formal plainish bowl. Let the timber tell the story.
Jim