PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Adaptor

Woodencrux
7th January 2004, 11:19 PM
I am considering obtaining an adaptor to go from a 1-1/2" x 6tpi male spindle thread to a more common male thread used now, say a M30 x 3.5. I know Woodfast once used this size so I'll contact them (or a distributor). Also, I'll check a few small engineering places here in Sydney to see what a custom adaptor would cost (seems a pretty straight forward job to fashion from a cylinder).
I realise this will increase the forces on the "outboard end" bearing due to increased leverage, though I think it would only become significant when large blanks are mounted.
I am wondering if anyone else has been through this (or similar) and can offer any advice.
Thanks in advance.

q9
8th January 2004, 12:47 AM
Not exactly sure I understand the point of doing that. You will be putting an adapter on that will in turn require an adapter for whatever you put on it (chuck for example).

Bought a Vicmarc adapter through Gary Pye for about $30. Good luck getting an engineering shop to make one for that price. Minimum job prices usually start at $50-$60. And they don't do much for that.

The only sensible thing I can see (that is if 1 1/2" is really uncommon), is to have the spindle machined down to something more common like 1" X 10 TPI.

I think Vicmarc have all the spindle sizes covered, so I am not sure it is worth the cost going the way you are thinking.

Woodencrux
8th January 2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure where you are and I'd certainly like to contact Gary Pye. Can you provide some details to assist me locate him please, if not simply for future reference.

I have identified that Bonham have a suitable adaptor so I can obtain a scroll chuck and I've now found a very helpful contact that assures me the adaptor used can be changed so I'm OK with the chuck if I change lathes in the future (assuming the adaptor wants to come out when I want to change it!).

Vicmarc and Nova don't use adaptors for this thread (Nova runs the thread directly onto the chuck so it becomes dedicated).

Regards,

Sir Stinkalot
8th January 2004, 10:32 AM
GPW (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/index.html)
:D

Woodencrux
8th January 2004, 04:00 PM
Thank you for the link Sir. Unfortunately, the adaptors they handle are dedicated to the chucks (Nova) and I was told I'd need to have an adaptor for the thread I've indicated custom manufactured.
During another enquiry today I have heard that one of the few local lathe manufacturers will no longer be manufacturing. This appears to be accurate but is second hand to me so please take it with that caveat. Anyone wanting a new Australian made lathe from that company may need to act ....fast.
Regards,

Jim Carroll
8th January 2004, 06:52 PM
Your easiest way is to take the spindle you have out of your lathe to an engineering company , have them turn it down to 30 x 3.5mm as this is standard for Vicmarc and Nova chucks & accessories.It may cost you a bit now but in the long run it is more cost effective. This is providing you have a 2 morse taper in the shaft. If you have a 3 morse taper you may be in trouble as the wall thickness may be too thin.
You are correct in woodfast have now changed to 33 x 3.5mm as this is the european size and this is their larger market and yes Nova & Vicmarc supply dedicated chucks for this size threads so if at any time you change lathes you have to change chucks as well. For an idea of what is available at that size shaft 30 x 3.5mm refer to www.cws.au.com

gatiep
8th January 2004, 10:20 PM
Jim

Are you sure about Woodfast???

Jim Carroll
9th January 2004, 08:29 AM
Yup

Little Festo
9th January 2004, 10:22 AM
I don't know if this is of any help but there is a guy at Kippa-ring - north of Brisbane. There was in a write up about him in the latest Australian Wood Worker - (Vermec), his name is Enzo. He's one of the nicest people you could meet/speak to. He's an engineer and he custom builds lathes, hollowing tools sanders etc. He would be worth having a chat to. His EMail address is [email protected] - phone number 07 328437333.

All the best and hope you sort out your problem - Peter

Woodencrux
9th January 2004, 01:29 PM
I appreciate the suggestions and have certainly taken them onboard. At this time I don't want to change the actual threads on the spindle as I do have faceplates (right and lefthand threaded) , screwchuck, cupchuck, etc. Also, the Bonham chuck can be adapted to any new lathe via a change of insert.
If I was to have something manufactured it would be a female/male adaptor (1-1/2" x 6tpi female to "more common male thread"). Having just obtained a three extra faceplates at a good price, I now have lesser pressure to obtain an adaptor.
Many thanks for the replies and I may contact Enzo for a chat.
Regards,
Alan