PDA

View Full Version : Makita 2012nb Thicknesser

Termite
8th January 2004, 12:29 PM
Any feedback on this thicknesser. The only review I could find was for the old model which had the base move instead of the cutterhead.
Regards
Termite:confused: :D

MikeK
12th January 2004, 03:35 PM
Termite,

The only reviews I've found are customer reviews from amazon. Try this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000051ZOO/ref=cm_rev_all_1/103-2530409-7545438?v=glance&s=hi&vi=customer-reviews&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also, as a general comment, the price of the Makita is approx $1160 with replacement blades for $80. Carbtec have a 15" machine that sells for $1295......

Update 13/1 - I found a review in FWW 2002/2003 christmas edition. It compared about 8 machines including the Makita and the Dewalt. All up the reviewer stated that if money was no object, he would have the Makita (though he also liked the Dewalt).

Regards,
Mike.

ronh
20th October 2005, 04:14 AM
Sorry , cant find a review either. I've been looking for a comparison between the Makita 2012nb and the dewalt dw735 not only could i not find 1 of each at any one store but anyone expeirenced enough to get the benefit of their own particular knowledge
I'm pretty sure I've settled on the Makita having spoken to a workshop owner of such things....if he had a choice he would buy the makita and he said the parts are much cheaper according to him
Also the best price found has been $1165 at biancos

Noel157
20th October 2005, 05:37 AM
The Makita is a standard single speed, 2 cutter model with a 3" dust port and is a good enough thicknesser, whereas the DeWally is a 3 head, 2 speed model with a 4" dust port and chip blower. I'm no DeWalt fan but the 735 is a nice looking machine, although early ones had dodgy drive belts, now fixed. BTW, has the 735 been released in 230V / 50Hz yet?

Rgds

Noel

mat
20th October 2005, 10:22 AM
The 735 is certainly available in 240V - had one for about a year now. IMHO it is the best "portable" machine on the market.

lyptus
25th October 2005, 12:12 AM
I think Fine Woodworking magazine published by Tauton Press has reviewed both models. Workbench magazine reviewed the Dewalt in December 2004. I own the Makita 2012 NB and like it a lot. If they were priced equally, I'd probably buy the Dewalt because it seem more heavy duty, has a 3 blade cutter head, and I've heard it really minimizes snipe. However, I purchased my Makita from Amazon for about $360.00 new and it has worked great for me. Snipe is an issue- but I usually allow for a few inches of waste on the end of boards when I am thicknessing them anyway.

richardtimmons
7th November 2008, 11:12 AM
:)I have had a 2012 NB for over a year now and use it mainly on oak, at least 12 hrs per week and have just had to turn the bladesm which I think is very good. I am delighted with its performance, the only bit of advice I can give is don't try to take too much off in one pass on the harder wood(only quarter turn and make more passes. I think it is the best bit of kit I have ever bought
Hope this is of help
Richard

LiliB
7th November 2008, 03:05 PM
Hi Termite
I went through the whole process of judging thicknessers against each other, factoring in costs, engineering and service.

I came a short list of two, both essentially similiar quality of build, both having the same or nearly same cost of replacement blade, and I opted for the Makita NB2012 over the Metabo. I am delighted with my choice. The machine is sturdy, easy to set up and use, and well engineered.

I chose Makita not just because it has a good reputation with the tradies, but also because service is regarded as being top notch. Parts are also relatively painless to get, should we owners need them. We have at least two highly experienced service agents in the area, whilst Makita is not so well represented.

I have been given less favourable reports by retailers, when it comes to DeWalt follow up service. As we are in the bush, service needs to be considered carefully.

I was a little skeptical about some of the other options discussed in the forum. For example, some chinese made machines weigh an extraordinary amount, and are not at all portable. You have to wonder why, when the Makita sings happily on the workshop floor, without even being bolted down. The question of parts and warranty was also an unknown quantity with fringe manufacturers.

An example of what I mean, was that my hubbie bought an obscure brand of drill press a few months ago, and had a problem with performance. The retailer suggested that he would probably have difficulty getting warranty, unless the whole machine broke down completely. Not a good feeling when you have a minor breakdown.With Makita or Metabo, there would be no questions asked.

Finally, there is international reputation, which is worth a bit to me in judging quality. Both Makita and Metabo have outstanding reputations for quality and reliability. This kind of respect cannot be bought, only earned. I read good reviews of the Makita on the 'net', and in factors like skew, there were miniscule readings, compared to others like the DeWalt.

Regards
LiliB
:U:U:U