PDA

View Full Version : Nice, cheap and fast bandsaw Upgrade

Dean
8th January 2004, 04:35 PM
Hi all,

I have the Carbatec SW-1401 bandsaw, which is working well, but have always hated the tension adjustment knob.
I came across this video:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt031.asp

which shows you how to extend the tension knob up over the top of the machine so no knuckle grinding needs to take place.

I decided to give it a shot, and 15 mins of time, and $5 of material from Bunnies later, I have a much better blade tensioning knob to work with.

Here's a pic:
http://members.optushome.com.au/dbielanowski/bandsaw.jpg

In the video, they dont really mention grinding down the end of the threaded rod where it engages into the slot on your machine. This made turning difficult, so a couple mins on the grinder and now it turns very easily. I recommend it to all of you that have short bandsaw tension knobs :)

Dan
9th January 2004, 03:20 PM
On the SW1401 and probably most other saws sold in Oz the threaded rod will need to be 10mm and not the 3/8" mentioned in the video. If in doubt, the parts list in the back of the manual should list the thread size of the adjusting nut.

Dan

Dean
9th January 2004, 03:25 PM
Yes correct. Forgot to mention that sorry.

10mm Threaded Rod - $4 per metre
2 x 10mm nuts - 30c roughly off memory
1 x 10mm coupler nut - 70c roughly off memory

You only use about 6-7 inches of the threaded rod so there is a bit left over for other purposes if needed. It's sold in 1 metre lengths at bunnies.

You can get nice brass 10mm rod, but it was around the $20 mark.

gatiep
9th January 2004, 10:47 PM
That mod works very well. On mine I added a 10 mm domed nut, thats a blind nut that has thread on the one side and a domed surface on the other side. Screw the rod thru the square nut that adjusts the slide up and down but before it pushes onto the cast frame, screw the domed nut on. It makes for a perfect sphere that presses onto the frame and makes adjustment easier and also stops the threaded rod from wandering while being adjusted.

A drop of superglue or Locktite in the threads of the domed nut will ensuse that it doesn't unscrew when you take the pressure off the threaded rod

Cya
Joe

barrysumpter
31st January 2004, 11:58 AM
Excellent!

Thanks for the info guys.

I've been looking for a way to do this for a year.

Now I've got exact instructions.