PDA

View Full Version : Ruminating on Entralling Timber

RufflyRustic
7th March 2008, 10:33 AM
I confess, I get entralled by timber. I cant't help it, but the feel of a beautifully finished timber piece enthralls me.:star2::sleep4::star2:

Last weekend, just before locking up my shed for the week, I ran my hands over my latest project to check the finish after all the hard work I'd put into it. Well, it was wonderful. So wonderful, that I think I even lost a few minutes in awe of the smoothness I'd managed to achieve. Then my hands hit a rough patch and I woke up....:rolleyes:

Since Christmas, I've been building a pine cabinet with pine that is so soft it practically dents and scratches itself whenever I go to move it, pick it up or even look sideways at it. Trying to sand all the marks out, including whatever dressing marks the pine boards arrived with is impossible. For each mark, scratch or dent I remove, I make or find three more. So there comes a point where I either destroy the cabinet, or live with the marks. Having decided the marks and dents were there to stay, I then wondered if this is where the practice of purposely distressing a piece came from. :whistling2:

Why have I been wasting so much time :whatonearth:handsanding marks out of timber when a little forethought and board preparation would save me not only time, but sandpaper, money, sore shoulders and hands!

:think:This got me to thinking back over the discussion Soundman, Star and I had at Dai Sensei's GTG recently, about finishing a project, setting up a new belt sander, on to hand sanding and then into the realm of a few mistakes some people (ok – Me!) make until some kind soul quietly tells/teaches/shows us the better way or we stumble upon the realisation ourselves, whether it be by reading or listening, or even finding our own light switch. While I can't remember the exact words of the conversation, it did help me turn up the glow on my own light bulb. http://www.ubeaut.biz/idea.gif

Gone are the days when I could make a project in a weekend, when jumps in sandpaper grits from 80 to 240 to 800 were perfectly acceptable, when butt joints, glued and screwed, were the only way to make a joint and when a can of spray, gloss varnish was the only finish I owned.

Now, it's the realisation that before I measure, mark or saw the timber, prepping it will not only save me time, but money as well as less frustration when joints fit better the first time round. It's the sad but overdue demise of the very ruff, the extreme rustic that really, is not truly rustic, and no longer belongs, not now. It's time to put the things I've learned into practice, to prepare the timber before cutting the project parts, to using planes, scrapers and much less sandpaper so I can reach that moment once more when the project is finished and I can be quietly enthralled again.:B

[Edit - I decided to change the title and content slightly to remove any chance of misunderstanding, due to the my original misuse of the word den.drophil.e]

JMB
7th March 2008, 11:02 AM
As I read what you wrote I think of how woodworking can stretch my patience to the point where I just want to finish sanding, oiling. shellacing etc and get on the the next project, but still have to go through the 120, 180,240,320 sandpaper etc etc and do the job properly or why else am I woodworking for in the first place??? Sometimes when I am in the middle of a slow, finicky job I long to go and make say a chicken house where there is no plan, and no measurements and I just make it up as I go along.

Andy Mac
7th March 2008, 12:25 PM
It's the sad but overdue demise of the very ruff, the extreme rustic that really, is not truly rustic, and no longer belongs, not now.

Hi Wendy,
Long time no see! That's an interesting observation, some self-criticism without angst. Just a realisation that its time to move on, and not use excuses for the quality of your output! You have improved dramatically over the last year or so with your wooodwork, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. Ideas and projects are not your shortcoming!!:D
It is easy to lose yourself in a finely finished piece, but every time you know that to achieve such a thing, its not easy: it involves dedication and sheer elbow grease.

Cheers,

RufflyRustic
7th March 2008, 01:08 PM
Hi Andy,

Indeed Long time no see, but soon to be rectified, I hope :)

Yes!! that's exactly what I'm feeling and wanting to do with my woodwork as well as letting loose with more plans, ideas and designs :2tsup:

Sheer elbow grease!! must be why my elbow aches every Monday morning :wink::)

JMB - Again, Yes, this is the point I reached with the cabinet. I just want it finished, as I've so much more I want to get into. :) There's definitely room for the 'chicken hutch' style of woodwork, but not for the ideas I've got brewing.

cheers
Wendy

watson
7th March 2008, 01:15 PM
Wendy,
Apart from ignoring the sentiment of your message..........thank you for my new word of the week.....Dend.roph.ile....I love it!!
Can't wait to slip it into conversation :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

JMB
7th March 2008, 01:22 PM
There isn't actually any time for the chicken hutch style of woodworking in my life either at the moment. I think I am just feeling a bit swamped by sanding sanding sanding at the moment and my slow progress with work. Am definitely fixing my sights on the time when I get the reward for all my hard work and get to see the end result.

Andy Macs words remind me again of what is important with woodworking - dedication and sheer elbow grease. I think I also need to add that I have to keep focussed on the skills that I have developed, and am developing, rather than becoming disheartened by mistakes that I make and all that I still need to learn.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th March 2008, 02:08 PM
Y'know, I haven't been out to my shed for any "me time" at all this year? The last time I spent any time fondling my tools was just before last Christmas...

I've been flat out building chicken hutches; decks, house framing, stumping, laying floors... and ya know what? I'm as happy as a pig in... whatever makes pigs happy. :roll:

There's a lot to be said for low-precision woodwork, like 'no sanding necessary.' :hapy: Mind you, while the hands have been busy the mind has been off in la-la land, thinking up new projects for the next time I have a spare day or three and can get back into the "me zone."

RufflyRustic
7th March 2008, 02:41 PM
Watson, I just did a google search on d.endr.op.hile - YIKES!!!!!! Be wary of which definintion you use!!! :oo::oo::oo:

My definition - one who enjoys timber and the act of taking the timber from the tree to the finished item to bring to light the hidden beauty of the tree by use of design and finish as well as being enthralled by what has been created. :U

Ian Smith
7th March 2008, 02:48 PM
:D Just as well English is a living language:D

RufflyRustic
7th March 2008, 04:09 PM
Yes Indeed!!! :D

watson
7th March 2008, 04:29 PM
Watson, I just did a google search on den.d.roph.ile - YIKES!!!!!! Be wary of which definintion you use!!! :oo::oo::oo:

My definition - one who enjoys timber and the act of taking the timber from the tree to the finished item to bring to light the hidden beauty of the tree by use of design and finish as well as being enthralled by what has been created. :U
The Oxford English Dictionary is my bible.

RufflyRustic
7th March 2008, 04:51 PM
Google is mine....:rolleyes:

wheelinround
7th March 2008, 05:04 PM
Wendy I hope not just sent Pm with Googles Wiki deffinition

the first one that came up I was not going to send it would have offended

But hey takes all kinds

Andy Mac
7th March 2008, 06:10 PM
Yep, that takes tree-hugging waay too far!:wink:

Cheers

flynnsart
7th March 2008, 08:07 PM
You know when you have done it right, when you keep going out of your way to have a peak and a touch of what you have just made, excuses to go out to the shed etc.

It is so easy to forget to start from the start and get your wood square properly, and to work your way through the different grades of paper, but you really reap your reward as you work through your project, things just go so much easier.

Donna

RufflyRustic
8th March 2008, 08:42 AM
I changed the wording somewhat. I feel like such a fool for not checking the meaning before posting this.:- Thanks to those who pm'd their concerns and even more so, thanks for the responses ignoring my major phoopar!

(There's another word for you Watson :D)

Donna, bet you can guess what I've been doing every day this week :D

cheers
Wendy

kekemo
8th March 2008, 03:23 PM
HI Wendy…great to see you ‘re back & wow….how I understand your sentiments…felt like I was writing the post….only difference....I am not worried about feeling for “dents” once the piece is finished…

:rolleyes:...if I discover them then, yep its back to patch them…but must confess I have one piece of furniture that I actually bring the sander inside to sand back & buff it up, just taking out the “scratches”…..WHY…well it’s the bottom rail on my bed…my cat jumps from the side bureau to the bed…a leap of about 3-4 feet…and yes sometimes obviously a little lazy and grabs hold with his claws….its amazing….how it marks…so yes every now and then I sand it up again…as it’s the piece that I feel each day…yes got no-one else to make the bed…so I find the scratches all to often!
Just finished making a Queen sized bed…my first major commission job….turned out glorious…starting new job on Sunday….so its all going on in my head right now….oh isn’t it such a joy when we realize the fact of truing up the wood first….lol….think that is the point when we go from a “greenie to a novice…” or beginner to starter….LOL….
......gosh yes, I still have lots to learn but hey…enjoying every minute of it….the hardest thing in life I find is finding someone else that understands & shares your sentiments ….sadly I had that….& now don’t think it will every be replaced….still trying to come to terms with loosing my soul-mate….. we both just loved wood & woodworking together!...
Ok…before I start to get too upset…must go…house work doesn’t wait…its the weekend, so must get that done so I can play during the week….
Cheer KEKEMO...Kerry:2tsup: