PDA

View Full Version : can do ?

InkSpot
9th March 2008, 05:22 PM
I need a didgeridoo from hardwood, lenght 125 cm with a 4 cm hole possibly tapering out to a flare at the end. Can this be done and how much would it cost?

dazzler
9th March 2008, 06:06 PM
I thought didges came from a certain tree or root that has been eaten out by white ants.

DavidG
9th March 2008, 07:02 PM
Mount the log securely and add a frame to hold a crowbar in the exact line of the hole.
Heat the end of the crowbar red hot, drop into the frame and push into the log.
Repeat heat, push until the bar burns its way through the log.

Or

Go bush and find a white ant eaten log of appropriate size and clean it up.

Harry72
9th March 2008, 10:24 PM
Bah... a 3" bit of PVC works!

joe greiner
10th March 2008, 12:47 AM
All of the above. Also, this bloke: http://www.katools.com/ cuts down the centre of the log with a bandsaw, then hogs out the inside with the Lancelot, and glues back together. Of course, he peddles the Lancelot, so that's his preferred method. Saw a demo about 1 1/2 months ago (Australia Day celebration) and they didn't look half bad. The web site's "Instructions" tab didn't provide anything about didgeridoos AFAICT, but the "Search" window got a couple hits.

Joe

InkSpot
10th March 2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks Dazzler. That is correct. I have a few of those already.

InkSpot
10th March 2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks David. I have tried something like that and it is too much trouble and does not really work.

InkSpot
10th March 2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks Harry72. I have already one of those but timber is much more exciting.

InkSpot
10th March 2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks joe greiner. I have already done that and have a few that worked out quite well but I want one (or several) with a hole drilled through it. All over the world they use different methods and the Alaska didge players club uses something like that plus a type of gourd with a long hollow neck out of Arizona etc. etc. I was hoping there is somebody who could use a lathe to do this out of Aussie timber such as yellow box, ironbark, etc.