PDA

View Full Version : Locud, Locad, Loquad!!!!!!!

Grumpy John
11th March 2008, 07:24 PM
Looking for pictures of a L????? tree, it has small yellow fruit. Tried googling but that doesn't work when you don't know how to spell the damn word :doh:. Any help appreciated.

DavidG
11th March 2008, 07:26 PM
loquat

echnidna
11th March 2008, 07:28 PM
Loquat (http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=Loquat&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2)

Grumpy John
11th March 2008, 07:51 PM
Thank you very much David & Echidna, I nearly had it. BTW it is a lovely timber to turn (IMHO).

Cheers
GJ

rsser
11th March 2008, 08:43 PM
Makes good marmalade too ;-}

GJ, I run www.answers.com (http://www.answers.com) , helps with spelling and definitions; only load it when needed.

Never used to need help with spelling; there must be more words out there than when I was young :-

Caveman
12th March 2008, 05:27 PM
TBTW it is a lovely timber to turn (IMHO).
GJ

Any chance of a picture or two of how it turned out???

Quite a few loquats around town here - I know it's a nice hard wood, but have always wondered what it would be like to turn.

Grumpy John
12th March 2008, 08:48 PM
Pictures as requested. The bowls were turned very graan and left to find their owh shape. The round (ball) one was from a fork section and I thought it would fall apart, but i held together nicely. Homemade danish oil finish

TTIT
12th March 2008, 09:00 PM
Looks a lot like so many other fruit-woods so if it's good to work with I'll keep my eye out for one. Was my favourite fruit as a brat in Vic :U
Loquats are classified as a pest in NSW and here in QLD too I think so there shouldn't be too much fuss about anyone cutting them down - unless of course they own it!:o:; Apparently they bridge the seasonal gap for fruit-fly to jump from one commercial crop to another :shrug:

thefixer
12th March 2008, 10:03 PM
We have a loquat in our back yard that is about 20 ft high and the same across. Messy bloody thing never stops dropping leaves and dumps about a ton of fruit onto the paving every year:((. I have cut off a couple of small dead branches and put them in the lathe. very nice to turn and comes off the chisel very clean with little or no tearout. even with my turning skills:oo:. I can't wait for the bugger to die so I can cut it up and dry it and get many hours of making shavings from it:). Oh, almost forgot. It's very easy to grow from seed. Every year we have pull up hundreds of little trees from the garden after the fruit has fallen.

Cheers
Shorty

Caveman
15th March 2008, 04:18 AM
Pictures as requested.
Thanks GJ.

I can't wait for the bugger to die so I can cut it up and dry it and get many hours of making shavings from it:).
A little judicious ring barking will help it on it's way Shorty!:D If your not fond of the fruit, I'm sure you and the lathe would enjoy chewing up a few lumps of wood:U.