PDA

View Full Version : Free wood Gymea NSw

turnerted
14th March 2008, 01:47 PM
Hi
There is a pile of wood on President Av., on the corner ,two streets east of Gymea Rd . Looks like lemon scented gum or similar . Must have just been cut today . Very little endchecking . Mostly big stuff . Probably need two people to lift it or bring your chainsaw. Got to go and rough out a bowl from the bit I picked up .
Ted

turnerted
14th March 2008, 05:07 PM
When I went to slab the lump of wood I realised that it had been quater sawn and I was able to get two slabs off it to give me one blank just over 300mm x 100mm thick and one just under 300 mm X 90mm thick and i was still at least 100mm from the pith so it must have been a pretty big tree . There must be at least two trees there because the lump of wood I got had a rough bark not like what I thought might be lemon scented gum .The inner blank has a nice deep red colour . I just about needed a rain coat when I was roughing out the bowls . especially the the one from the outer slab . I've now got them soaking in water to dilute out the sap and hopefully dry them without splitting .
Ted

wheelinround
14th March 2008, 05:34 PM
:photo2: good score :2tsup: LOML comes home to tell me that some gum is sitting in the yard where the spinners have their meeting :C a very large branch had fallen and SES has kindly chopped and stacked it.

Logs are about 300x500 all I can recall is the tree is very tall pic of the trunk behind the ladies about 20 years ago leaves are from the Camphor beside

Pat
15th March 2008, 06:10 AM
Hi
There is a pile of wood on President Av., on the corner ,two streets east of Gymea Rd . Looks like lemon scented gum or similar . Must have just been cut today . Very little endchecking . Mostly big stuff . Probably need two people to lift it or bring your chainsaw. Got to go and rough out a bowl from the bit I picked up .
Ted

So cnr President and Premier st Gymea, will look on the way to work this morning:)