PDA

View Full Version : question ???????

hughie
23rd March 2008, 08:08 AM
There are a number of products around that will go off in the container. My main offender is the Floods products along with Wipe-on-Poly.

I have had a couple of suggestions.

[1] fill the void in the container as I go with marbles etc [OGYT]

[2] A small wine cask bladder. [Skew]

I was wondering what the collective wisdom of the group might be and what other ideas are out there to help with this problem.

I rang Floods re the problem and got very little response. I mentioned to them of a product thats available in the USA. A spray pack of inert gas to displace the oxygen. That also drew no repsonse.

Toasty
23rd March 2008, 08:41 AM
Read something, somewhere, sometime (so may have misunderstood) that suggested storing such containers upside down so the fluid acts as a seal against the top. Something about no matter how tight you do up the lid some air will still get in, or something like that - or I am totally off base...

Stuart
23rd March 2008, 09:31 AM
When I was doing a lot of (chemical) photography, the developer in particular was very prone to oxidation.

The solution was this - an accordion bottle.
http://www.accessoriesrus.co.uk/PY30113-01.jpg
I'm sure they are still available. (Try good photography shops) Cost was only about $15

(As you use up the liquid, you can make the bottle smaller and smaller)

jimbur
23rd March 2008, 10:44 AM
Toasty's method is good if the liquid forms a skin. Don't think it works for poly. Was going to say have smaller containers on hand (but who has them) but the collapsible containers would fit the bill.

jimbur
23rd March 2008, 10:46 AM
ps should have said that upside down means you don't have to break the skin and don't get bits of skin on the brush.

robert brown
23rd March 2008, 11:42 AM
i have used emty squeeze sauce bottles the wipe on polly lasted to the last drop. robert.

rsser
23rd March 2008, 01:22 PM
Some wine bars with lots of bottles open I believe use something like nitrogen Hughie.

Sprog
23rd March 2008, 06:32 PM
http://www.bloxygen.com/

http://www.psquareagencies.com.au/bloxygen.htm

joe greiner
23rd March 2008, 09:29 PM
Storing the containers upside-down lets the skin form on the bottom, so you don't have to break it for retrieval, as said, but it doesn't address the problem of reducing the amount of reactive air. Filling the void with marbles seems superior to fiddling around with special concoctions of inert gas. This should reduce the amount of skin formed, and increase the amount of product finally usable. Marbles and upside-down sounds like the winner.

Another factor is the shelf life of the product itself. I'd taken on the practise of writing my purchase date on the container. My original objective was simply to identify the source in case I needed to replenish it. After a thoroughly unpleasant experience with one of their adhesives, I (and a few other consumers it seems) persuaded LocTite to print their production codes in human-readable form, visible from outside the blister pack. My suggested remedy suffered from Not-Invented-Here syndrome, so implementation may take a while. Many products have a toll-free telephone contact listed on the packaging, by which information absent on the packaging may be ascertained.

Joe

OGYT
25th March 2008, 01:22 PM
The only thing about the Bloxygen is, I've heard it doesn't work, unless you get the nozzle inside the container, and then spray, then pull, then screw on the lid... all before you've allowed the bloxygen to escape. Some who've tried it can't get it to work, and the only way you know it didn't is when you open it next time, and there's a thick skin.
I use French's mustard bottles, the kind with the twist lid and plastic squeeze bottle, for my Titebond Glue, so I can keep the air out of it. I just squeeze the bottle 'til I get a little glue at the opening, and then twist it shut. Works on the glue, but I haven't tried it with tung oil or my homebrew yet. Just haven't had the nerve to risk wasting a bottle of it, when the marbles work so well. If any of you try it, let me know if it works. :D
I use the marbles... actually, they're clear marble lookin' things with a flat side- used in florist shops to put in the bottom of some plants... I'm afraid of the colored ones, because I think the color is on the outside and not in the glass.
And I'm dense as heck! I used those accordion bottles when I was a photographer, and never even thought of them for the tung oil. They're impervious to the chemicals used in photography, so they would work really well with finishes.

Hickory
26th March 2008, 11:27 AM
My solution is to purchase my finishes in small containers. Yes, I know it costs more but in the long run.... Blah Blah Blah...

Another trick I heard of (although I never tried it) is to take a soda straw with the lid near closed blow your exhaust air (high levels of Co2) into the opening and slap the lid shut, seal, etc.

I once heard of the turn it upside down solution and passed this on to a friend who was painting his house. Not long after, he called to say "bring some rags and come on over..." When I got there, paint was oozing down the wall from upside down paint cans... I never tried that one, either....

The items I use often and in abundance I purchase in bulk but finishes I opt for the smaller containers and buy fresh often. I also select mine in a store where I think that there will be a quick turnover in stock. Often you buy a product only to find that it has warehoused in the store for a long period of time, although fresh and new it is still old.

joe greiner
26th March 2008, 09:27 PM
Often you buy a product only to find that it has warehoused in the store for a long period of time, although fresh and new it is still old.

That was the source of the grief I mentioned in my second paragraph. When in doubt, telephone or e-mail the manufacturer. If contact info is absent on the packaging, their website may provide it.

Joe