PDA

View Full Version : Fluting jig

groverwa
28th March 2008, 05:41 PM
Gday

I am starting my woodturning hobby again after a long break and am hoping to do a lot of hollow turning as well as bowls with fluting decorations and am in need of plans or whatever to make a jig that will use a trimmer

SWMBO has threatened to burn all of my wood if I dont do something with it

I also have mobs of rough turned sheoak that is dry by now-Allocasuarina Fraserana - that can benefit from fluting also

PM if you want to

Regards

Mike

littlebuddha
29th March 2008, 06:10 AM
You don't need plans to be able to do fluting, all it is, is a sled to hold a trimmer/router .Take a look at the link and follow the link it will give you some ideas. but a sledge and an index system and your away, the rest is imagination.

DJ’s Timber
29th March 2008, 09:34 AM
Take a look at the link and follow the link it will give you some ideas. but a sledge and an index system and your away, the rest is imagination.

And what link would that be littlebuddha :dunno:

groverwa
30th March 2008, 11:23 AM
littlebuddha - what is the link please - pun intended but it is the missing link

After a bit of a search on the net I did find something like what I think will go towards what I want. See link shown below
http://www.phoenixwood.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=1424

My ideas extend to be able to do flutes on different angles on the same piece of wood when required. A sliding "sledge" that has stops to control the length of cut and the ability to follow a predetermined shape

When any prototype is made I will update this thread but it will be about 3 months as I am going to Townsville for a while

Mike

wheelinround
30th March 2008, 11:30 AM
Looking at same sort of thing a sliding sled able to do almost anything.

Will watch this thread with interest and post any thoughts i have

groverwa
30th March 2008, 01:09 PM
wheelinround

Thanks for that

Any thoughts, ideas and pics from interseted people will be a help to all of us

Mike

wheelinround
30th March 2008, 01:19 PM
Have seen a sliding compound vice set up with cutters in it on a sliding bed but I cant find the link

rsser
30th March 2008, 03:25 PM
IIRC correctly there's a Seppo who does intricate panels; there's a website with pics of his pieces and setup.

Anyway: see camlock table and router holder here:
http://vermec.tripod.com/id1.html

BernieP
30th March 2008, 09:15 PM
G'Day Mike

Have an old plan from 1985 on a jig that might interest you, however don't seem to be able to get it small enough to post on the forum, managed to cut it down but ended up with one corner only. Will attachthat to here and if it looks interesting PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Cheers
Bernie

groverwa
30th March 2008, 09:52 PM
Bernie P

Thanks for that but I am lookong for something a bit more complicated than that but will forward any ideas to all

Mike

TTIT
30th March 2008, 10:49 PM
Just posting so I can keep tabs on any ideas you guy's find.

I had a simple rig I used on the old MC900 for fluting spindles but I'm about to buy a trimmer to set up to do more complex stuff. I've seen one very simple arrangement for following a template - very much like the copy system on a Symtec lathe I think (never actually seen a Symtec - don't get 'em outback eh Hughie!:;).

joe greiner
31st March 2008, 01:20 AM
Google ["fluting jig" lathe] produced several hits. The pdf by John Lucas (2nd page of hits) is fairly general purpose. He doesn't mention it, but you'll need an index wheel for positioning the workpiece at regular intervals. For flattish spirals, you might get away with sloping the sled surface, but for more pronounced, you're getting into Ornamental Lathe territory. The Legacy Mill (Google also) couples the workpiece rotation with the router traverse.

I've used a cross-slide vise holding a Dremel for slightly different applications, but the vise movement capacity is somewhat limited.

Joe

littlebuddha
31st March 2008, 07:40 AM
My appols about the link not sure what happened but this is it.

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip39.htm

wheelinround
31st March 2008, 08:00 AM
Thats the site Little Budda :2tsup: he has some top ideas

wheelinround
8th April 2008, 05:36 PM
Hows this http://www.legacywoodworking.com/demoVideo.cfm

OGYT
9th April 2008, 12:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, John Lucas' jig (the one mentioned by Joe Greiner) followed the curvature of the piece on the lathe.

joe greiner
9th April 2008, 09:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken, John Lucas' jig (the one mentioned by Joe Greiner) followed the curvature of the piece on the lathe.

Almost, but not quite. He uses an adjustable straight fence to follow tapered pieces. For a curved piece, the sled could be provided with a tracer at the foot of the sled (in line and the same shape as the cutter), and a pattern the same shape as the piece. There are duplicating-type tool holders that function this way. Only difference here is you replace the scraper with the rotary tool.

Aha! Found it. In littlebuddha's (post #13) link. BTW, I suggest that any serious turners bookmark Richard Stapley's web site. Tonnes, really tonnes, of useful info there. For less heroic production requirements, much of the metalwork can be replicated in plywood or other timber substitutes; T-nuts can often be used in lieu of tapped fastenings.

Joe

wheelinround
9th April 2008, 09:37 PM
Almost, but not quite. He uses an adjustable straight fence to follow tapered pieces. For a curved piece, the sled could be provided with a tracer at the foot of the sled (in line and the same shape as the cutter), and a pattern the same shape as the piece. There are duplicating-type tool holders that function this way. Only difference here is you replace the scraper with the rotary tool.

Aha! Found it. In littlebuddha's (post #13) link. BTW, I suggest that any serious turners bookmark Richard Stapley's web site. Tonnes, really tonnes, of useful info there. For less heroic production requirements, much of the metalwork can be replicated in plywood or other timber substitutes; T-nuts can often be used in lieu of tapped fastenings.

Joe

Links Joe where's the links :doh:

Its ok Joe must be slow tonight been a long day with little sleep last night