PDA

View Full Version : Guachipelin box

joe greiner
29th March 2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I said when I saw the word.

Guachipelin box. 4" (100mm) diameter x 5 1/8" (130mm) high. Paste wax finish.

A month ago, I'd never heard of such a timber. One of my friends brought a chunk back from a visit to Costa Rica. He and a mate stopped for tiffin at a restaurant about 1000m above Playa Haco on the Pacific Coast. There's a wood shop behind the restaurant, where the owner also carves wooden doors. My friend told the owner about a turner friend in the States, and asked for a sample. This chunk was a cutoff from a fence post. The pith is drastically off-centre from the log. This usually occurs in trees that grow off-plumb, or in branches, where the grain growth responds to eccentric stress. (gwa-cha-puh-LEEN, BTW)

I hunted down a writeup about Diphysa Americana. It extends from Mexico to Panama. Guachipelin (aka guachepelin) is one of about 30 local names.

I made this box in sort of a "bombe" (bombay) shape to better display the grain. The knob is a somewhat squat version of an onion dome, most often found on Russian Orthodox churches. I couldn't make it much higher, or the box would have been more lid than box. The point of the dome is less sharp than I've made in some other species, but it's safer this way.

Joe

TTIT
30th March 2008, 12:09 AM
Nice rich colour Joe - the box shows it off well. An egg from it would go well in my collection but it's a bit far for the ute to get to South America to get some :C.

Had to google 'tiffin' also - I think it's what we call 'smoko' :;

joe greiner
30th March 2008, 01:03 AM
Nice rich colour Joe - the box shows it off well. An egg from it would go well in my collection but it's a bit far for the ute to get to South America to get some :C.

Had to google 'tiffin' also - I think it's what we call 'smoko' :;

Really?!? I thought it was standard English except in Murrica.

And thanks for clearing up "smoko." (I think).

Joe

Ad de Crom
30th March 2008, 01:08 AM
Very nice lidded box Joe, I like the onion shaped dome, or if you like to say finial. Was in 2004 in Mexico, saw there many woodspieces, but not with this strange sounded name. Well you made the joint almost invisible, which is very good.
Keep up your good work!

Ad :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
30th March 2008, 01:33 AM
Really?!? I thought it was standard English except in Murrica.

And thanks for clearing up "smoko." (I think).

Joe

"" Smoko , smoko , billy on the boil ,
smoko , smoko , a rest from ceaseless toil ""

Smoko , the shout that went out , when the smoke from the cook's fire was spotted by the men working .
They downed tools , and by the time they got to the camp , the water had boiled , and the billy of tea made .

Manuka Jock
30th March 2008, 01:35 AM
PS. excellent box Joe , cheers :2tsup:

OGYT
30th March 2008, 04:46 AM
Nice box out of hard (to say) wood, Joe. I like the design-over all. Well done! :U

artme
30th March 2008, 08:46 AM
Nice little box Joe!!:2tsup::2tsup:
What is it like to work?

killerbeast
30th March 2008, 01:25 PM
Nice box. The shape and color of the wood is really nice...

TTIT : speaking of your egg collection.. i may have something that you havent got in your collection...Laburnum...

hughie
30th March 2008, 01:55 PM
Joe, Nice one.The name is a bit of a mouthful though.

You've gotta make allowances for TTIT, he lives kinda out behind the 'Black Stump' and does not get out much. :U:U

orraloon
30th March 2008, 02:30 PM
Nice box Joe out of -that wood.

Regards
John

La truciolara
30th March 2008, 06:36 PM
Thank you Joe to show us this Guachiplin wood. It is always fascinating to see new woods.
You did a very nice piece, and while there the wood is used for fences, I think that here we would celebrate it like we do for box wood.

TTIT
30th March 2008, 10:28 PM
........... You've gotta make allowances for TTIT, he lives kinda out behind the 'Black Stump' and does not get out much. :U:UThat may well be but I'll take our billy tea over your cappalartay stuff anyday!:U

.............TTIT : speaking of your egg collection.. i may have something that you havent got in your collection...Laburnum...If that's an offer, I might take you up on it. It's supposed to be in garden plantings over here but I haven't been able to find any (yet!) PM me if you want to trade something for it!:;

"" Smoko , smoko , billy on the boil ,
smoko , smoko , a rest from ceaseless toil ""

Smoko , the shout that went out , when the smoke from the cook's fire was spotted by the men working .
They downed tools , and by the time they got to the camp , the water had boiled , and the billy of tea made .So you guy's call it 'smoko' too Jock? or have you been over here for a spell and picked up bad habits:; - or maybe you just like bush poetry too?!?!:U

joe greiner
31st March 2008, 12:36 AM
G'day, mates. Thanks for your assessments.

Artme, it's pretty nice to turn. Hardly any tearout of consequence. The original piece was oval cross section about 5" x 6" (125mm x 150mm). It was fairly dry and hadn't been end sealed; it had a few cracks which I filled with CA and sawdust as I turned to the final shape.

Claude, they use it for almost everything wood-related. A lot of use for sculpture in Costa Rica.

I didn't know the Black Stump was so close to the coast. Heck, Gil drives about half the distance to Emerald for our WT club meetings.

Joe