PDA

View Full Version : How much do you drink?

silentC
19th January 2004, 03:23 PM
I went to the doctor for a check up the other day. The inevitable question was 'do you drink and if so, how much'. This was followed by the usual lecture. I wonder what I'd see in the fridge if I went to a doctor's house.

Apparently, 2 beers and half a bottle of red per day is too much. Not alcoholic but bad for your health. I don't consider that to be excessive, it's a substantial cut back from what I used to drink BC.

A few people have made reference to 'having a few beers' on this site, so I'm wondering if there is a link between making sawdust and consuming alcohol.

Please register your vote above.

BigPop
19th January 2004, 03:42 PM
Even though I make my own and have a few different varieties sitting in kegs in the fridge - I don't drink it that often or drink that much but have been known to partake of 'a few' on the odd occasion ( my mates come over and drink more of it than me. they reckon free beer is better than buying it - gonna have to start charging them soon)
So I s'pose I have to tick the rarely/never side because none of the others apply

silentC
19th January 2004, 04:08 PM
Big Pete,

I suppose that's like a fisherman that doesn't eat fish. I'll bet you're a popular chap!

I don't really drink 3 or 4 every night of the week, but I do more often than not and when they ask you how many you have per day, it's a bit hard to say 'x' because every day is different.

However, I love a good beer and a good drop and as I said to the doctor when she told me 'only one a day or you'll be dead' I said 'lady, only one a day IS dead'.

ozwinner
19th January 2004, 04:30 PM
If your only alowed 1 per night, better stock up on Darwin Stubbies.:D
Cheers, Sir Rowsis

silentC
19th January 2004, 04:33 PM
I've got one of them somewhere. Wouldn't be game to drink it now, it's about 15 years old. Someone told me it tastes worse than XXXX anyway ;)

rodm
19th January 2004, 04:41 PM
I admit to being a binge drinker. I save all the credits during the week and blow the lot on the weekend. I understand this to be the most damaging drinking pattern but it has been part of my lifestyle for thirty odd years. Can't imagine being at a BBQ, having a skipper and not drinking. I suppose until I get a health shock it will continue.

ozwinner
19th January 2004, 04:45 PM
Guys,
We all die one day so enjoy it...........The drinks are on me.:eek:

silentC
19th January 2004, 04:46 PM
Rod, 'A few beers on the weekend' was a nice way of saying 'I mostly binge drink'.

As for the most damaging, I've heard that 2 drinks a day on a regular basis is enough to sustain permanent brain damage.

ozwinner
19th January 2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by silentC

As for the most damaging, I've heard that 2 drinks a day on a regular basis is enough to sustain permanent brain damage.

Bugger!

kenmil
19th January 2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by silentC
Rod, 'A few beers on the weekend' was a nice way of saying 'I mostly binge drink'.

If you are binge drinking every weekend for 30 years, I would say you had brain damage to begin with.

rodm
19th January 2004, 06:26 PM
Sorry Ken - what are you trying to say:)

Kev Y.
19th January 2004, 06:56 PM
I only have ONE drink a night.........at the moment I am on the drink for FEB 21st 2011

;)

BigPop
19th January 2004, 08:27 PM
I suppose that's like a fisherman that doesn't eat fish. I'll bet you're a popular chap!

Yep sure am!!! I have a mate like that - LOVES fishing and anything to do with fishing, enters competitions etc - yet won't eat a bite - same goes with prawns crabs etc. Can't stand the taste of them but loves going out and catching them. (that's why I take him fishing with me all the time I s'pose :D )

With my brews I enjoy drinking them but do so in moderation and only now and then - but my mates think otherwise and always come around 'just incase that can get a freebie or 60'. :( :(

But I do enjoy having a few on a hot day after mucking around in the sauna/torture pit.

Cheers

DarrylF
19th January 2004, 08:41 PM
I was looking for the option 'Not enough' :)

I went for 'Glass of Chardonay at dinner parties' in the end - though not right it's as close as there was. I love good scotch, and the occasional good beer - but I just never seem to get around to it, so my tolerance is pretty low, so I rarely have more than a couple these days.

The bar and wine rack are always well stocked, and I got a full size fridge full in the workshop - but it tends to last a while around here :)

Rocker
19th January 2004, 10:28 PM
Darren,
I think that, strictly speaking, your doctor may have been right, if you drink the equivalent of two beers and half a bottle of red, day in and day out. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you are unlikely to cause yourself any damage, if you drink less than 21 standard drinks per week and you do not binge-drink regularly. Also that the damage will be minor, unless you exceed the 21-drink limit substantially.

The limit is obviously somewhat uncertain, since the effect of alcohol depends, among other things, on your build. If you are tall and well built, you can drink more than someone who is skinny and short.

Anyway, I have drunk one or two drinks daily, and occasionally a bit more, for the last 35 years without noticeable harm to my health or brain function.

I reckon that, if you were to cut back to two beers and a glass of red daily, you would be fine.

Rocker

silentC
20th January 2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks Dr Rocker!

Trouble is, it's so hard to put the cork back in the bottle. I might have to make it one beer and two glasses of red instead ;)Besides, the doc told me a glass of red a day is good for your heart, so two must be doubly good :D

Grunt
20th January 2004, 09:30 AM
Teatotalers have a noticably shorter life span than those of us who drink one or two a night. Those who regularly drink more than six or more a night have a shorter life span again.

I love my beer but hangovers these days last for a week so the fun of getting drunk is far out weighed by the pain and suffering of a hangover.

adrian
20th January 2004, 10:10 AM
A couple of stubbies of Tooheys Old every other day (mothers milk). An occasional red.
All you have to do is add a packet of chips or beer nuts and you have got nearly all the major food groups covered. At least the major ones I like.:o

silentC
20th January 2004, 10:17 AM
Adrian,

I've been drinking the black schooners lately too. Makes a nice change from VB.

If you like Tooheys Old, have you ever tried James Squire Porter? Now that's a nice brew. I also like their Pilsner and IPA. I don't mind a case of Boags every now and then when the wallet can stand it.

Grunt
20th January 2004, 10:41 AM
IMHO the James Squire Pilsner is the best beer in Australia. I like my beer to have lots of flavour. The flavour leaps out of this one.

I also like all of the other James Squire numbers, most of what comes out of the Coopers stable, Becks is pretty damn good, Cascade has a few goodies as well.

kenmil
20th January 2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by rodm
Sorry Ken - what are you trying to say:)

Sorry Rod was I not clear ? I am saying that binge drinking is just plain stupid in the first place. I doubt you will find a medical practitioner who would disagree.

rodm
20th January 2004, 07:20 PM
Fair enough Ken. By the way I am a social drinker and not a habitual drinker. I refer to binge drinking in clinical terms as apposed to socially acceptable standards. I enjoy my weekend daylight hours too much to let hangovers interrupt them.

whiskers
20th January 2004, 09:34 PM
;) A flagon of port a day used to be the go!!

Baz
21st January 2004, 07:26 PM
Grunt, IMHO James Squire Original Amber Ale is the go, available on tap in a lot of the pubs/bars in The Rocks/CBD/Darling Harbour.
Toohey's Old is a great drop too, I agree that a lot of the Cooper's brews are good, particulary the Vintage Ale about 7% alcohol from memory, or what's left of it.
Cheers
Barry:)

Kev Y.
21st January 2004, 08:54 PM
whiskers, you have my deepest sympathy in having Doorstop as a neighbour.. guess that the property values around your way would be depressed at the moment..

Kev;)

adrian
21st January 2004, 11:18 PM
SilentC.

I've never heard of the James Squire stuff. I'll have to see if they have it in Port Macquarie.

silentC
22nd January 2004, 08:13 AM
Adrian,

They've got it in Pambula (pop. 700 odd) so I'd be very surprised if they don't have it up there. Although we are a thristy lot down here!

Glad to see I've got some company in the 3 to 4 a night.

Iain
23rd January 2004, 03:43 PM
Silent C, most of us are only thristy when pished:D
I enjoy a couple of coldies after work, and a glass of whatever is desirable on occassion, I am not a great fan of port though.
While I enjoy Tooheys old what I have not seen for a long time is Kent.
Can it be found in Melbourne or surrounds (looks likes Tooheys but tastes a bit different).
Whilst on the subject of a coldie, over Xmas had some friends over, yes, I have a few.
Sitting under the tree's (the ones at the front Brudda) a stubby was raised, just as it was about to hit the lips, a white flash entered the neck from the birds nest above.
Poor bugger drank it before he knew what happened, we thought it was funny and the bird got away.
I am assured it does not improve the flavour of the brew.

silentC
23rd January 2004, 03:52 PM
Iain,

All the pubs round here, yes both of them, used to have Kent Old on tap but when VB came on tap about 15 years ago, something had to give. They should've gotten rid of the Fosters or the Carlton Draught instead :mad:

I love Port. Can easily sit down and share a bottle of that with someone. When my brother-in-law and I go walkabout, we always take a cask of port. Can't be beaten around the fire on a cold night and more convenient to carry than a six pack.

Supposed to be a good brewery down your way at Mirboo Morth, ever been there?

AlexS
23rd January 2004, 10:48 PM
I don't drink much...I spill most of it.

Alex

Don't rush me: the hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

John Saxton
24th February 2004, 09:04 PM
A good red,sigh.......Bushmills double filtered,si.....gh Toohey's Old, Hic.
Alcoholically preserved is how the other 1/2 describes me .....often said I look young for my age hehe hehe naturally preserved with natures good will!!!!

Cheers:)

Jigsaw
11th April 2004, 03:38 PM
Depending on the season, I am into Red, White, Port or Tooheys Old with a dash of Stones Green Ginger wine. My favourite is the Tooheys, I can taste it now.

You are only an alcoholic if you drink more than your Doctor.

Nic0
11th April 2004, 07:01 PM
I dont thing there is anything wrong with one or two stubbies a night, its a good way to relax after work.

Backyarder
1st July 2004, 04:29 PM
I never go into the shed without a beer in my hands.

silentC
1st July 2004, 04:32 PM
I never go into the shed without a beer in my hands.
Then you're lucky you still have a hand to hold one with when you come out!

:D:D:D:D

Cliff Rogers
1st July 2004, 11:40 PM
Then you're lucky you still have a hand to hold one with when you come out!

:D:D:D:D

G'day.

I'm with you on that one...

I can bowl over a bottle of red or a 6 pack of OLD but AFTER work, not during.
Too damned dangerous.... I'm already down to 9 & 1/3 fingers, I don't need to loose any more.
I'll sit in the shed talking s'it & drinking but WON'T touch a power tool while drinking.
Opps, told a lie there, I did have a beer the other day while I used the tormek to sharpen a kitchen knife. ;)

silentC
2nd July 2004, 01:18 AM
Where've you been Cliff? Haven't seen you much round here lately...:rolleyes:

vsquizz
2nd July 2004, 02:32 AM
Lips that touch wine will never touch mine

DavidW
2nd July 2004, 07:22 PM
All you need in life is something to do.....make beer, something to love.....beer, and something to look forward to.....the next beer.

mmmmm beer the versatile beverage.

Guy
2nd July 2004, 10:06 PM
Used to be able to ddrink 14 pints of bitter per day, or should say in an evening. Not anymore though age caught up with me

Iain
3rd July 2004, 06:27 PM
Lips that touch wine will never touch mine
The avatar sort of says it all :D :D :D

Grunt
3rd July 2004, 06:49 PM
Lips that touch wine will never touch mineThat'll will put Alcoholics Anonymous back 10 years.

vsquizz
5th July 2004, 12:52 AM
Iain:
The avatar sort of says it all
Thats the results of too much cordial, especially the red stuff. Only drink green now

Grunt:
That'll will put Alcoholics Anonymous back 10 years
Apparently there is a beer shortage in WA at the moment??

Zed
5th July 2004, 03:46 PM
I deliberatly havnt replied to this thread previously as didnt have too much to add, I dont really drink (occasional glass of wine or beer). However when I travel to Germany or feel like a knees up I drink a beer called Paulaner Hefe-Wiess bier. Its a german wheat beer - closest here would be a redback or coopers - but they arn't in the league at all. Theres a pub at the circular quay o/s shipping terminal (Cargo bar?) that sells a belgian wheat beer on tap - its great too but inflated yuppy prices me off.

I used to be a "naughty boy" in my youth (I wont go into detail) and have had enough of escaping reality - a mild buzz is the go these days. when i get my current avatar pretty much describes my behaviour.... :D

bob w
20th July 2004, 12:30 AM
:p Had bypass surgery about 11 years ago and was told to cut back on the booze. Used to travel all over NSW so had a "couple" in the motel each night.
The doctors said two drinks each night would be alright (beer or red wine but not both) They dug their heels in when I asked if I could save them up and drink the lot on Sunday. (No sense of adventure.)
I no longer travel so just have a couple on the weekend now and must admit I feel a lot better for it.
Our daughter and one son are both chefs so when we get together the red wine flows. I only have 2 glasses but sh#t they're bl@@dy big glasses.

Bob

Kris.Parker1
6th August 2004, 12:07 AM
Don't drink alkyhole, Don't drink coffee, just drink water and milk (not together).

TassieKiwi
6th August 2004, 11:06 AM
Is there a lie detector poll too? "tab at the bott'lo" MUST have more hits.

Salut!

maglite
7th August 2004, 12:23 AM
With the benefit of youth on my side....if its cold, wet and alcoholic count me in.

If i must stop playing with power tools whilst inebriated....from where am i to draw inspiration.

The only downside so far is actually remembering what inspired me to muck around with that other wise perfect pice of jarrah .

kiwigeo
7th August 2004, 01:00 AM
I've got one of them somewhere. Wouldn't be game to drink it now, it's about 15 years old. Someone told me it tastes worse than XXXX anyway ;)
Those Darwin stubbies make an excellent cheap alternative to IPAC syrup.

kiwigeo
7th August 2004, 01:05 AM
However when I travel to Germany or feel like a knees up I drink a beer called Paulaner Hefe-Wiess bier.
Sounds like you were pi....ed when you were trying to read that label :)

kiwigeo
7th August 2004, 01:09 AM
Don't drink alkyhole, Don't drink coffee, just drink water and milk (not together).So you must be the chap who voted 25 times in the poll.

(looks at avatar) Darwin..teetotaler.....it doesnt add up :)

beejay1
5th March 2005, 08:55 PM
I used to drink an awful lot of booze, beer spirits and wine. It wasnt a drink problem but It was too much. After our daughter was born 27 years ago, and for no apparent reason i just began to drink less and less and actually didnt enjoy the taste at all, to the extent that within avery short time I wasnt drinking at all. Now I may have half glass of wine once or twice a year at most but thats about it. Im not against drink or anything like that but it just doesnt appeal to me anymore.
Daughter doesnt touch it and has never had a cup of tea or coffee in her life, only drinks water and fruit juice. Spoooky!
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com?user/eunos9

Rusty
5th March 2005, 10:30 PM
Well, as long as it's "drag up an old poll" night...I'm on the wagon and having intrusive recollections of pints of guinness consumed in good company...where's this wagon going, anyways...?

Oh, well; maybe I'll just rip open another box of fundraising maltesers.:o

Rus.

Woodlice
7th March 2005, 02:27 AM
Usually after a hard slog for me. Or when I need a dose of medicine. Bundy neat or home made Mead for me.

J!

Harry72
7th March 2005, 03:07 AM
Ol No7'n'coke, full in schooner glass for me(jacks)
I cant stand the taste of beer or the bloating... when I gave up the smokes I didnt drink at all for 6mths(was reg beer drinker)once I was game enough to drink again I tasted my 1st beer thinkin "oh I been missin this" until it hit the taste buds... yuk def an aquired taste.
So now I only drink socialy, I do binge drink when I do start tho... hic lucky tha missus dont drink, after all she's drivin me home!

Glenmore
2nd April 2005, 03:03 PM
Quit drinking 2 years now only god knows why sort of miss it.