PDA

View Full Version : Delta planar

sinjin
20th January 2004, 10:57 AM
Hi guys, has anyone purchased the Delta 8' jointer by chance which i think is the same as the Jet.
Just curious to see if the tables were true and did they stay that way.
Have been quoted a price of $1100.00 for one and they seem super cheap for what you get. Also looking at there 15" thicknesser. But this is a new model as the standard unit has a fixed table with moveable head. The new model has a fixed head and moveable table. Its supposedly a scaled down version of the 20" machine. Both 15" machines will be offered for sale so wondering if anyone has seen or heard of the new 15" and how it went.
Cheers

DavidW
20th January 2004, 11:13 AM
Where were you quoted $1100 for the Delta 8" jointer? Even the Carbatec copy of the Delta is more than that.

sinjin
20th January 2004, 12:19 PM
Hi Dave its on special at carba-tec and sorry just checked my price as of yesterday and its $1190.00

DavidW
21st January 2004, 08:09 AM
sinjin

I cant see it on the Brisbane web site, is it on the Melbourne one?

do you have a link?

sinjin
21st January 2004, 01:52 PM
Hi Dave yes your right i am in Melb. And i have the price in a cat. they gave me on Monday.
They have sold out but a container of the 8" models arrives in the Melb office this Thursday.

The long bed 6" weighs in at 150kg and on special for $690 bed length 1410
The 8'" weighs in at 245kg and costs $1190. bed length 1943mm. Paying roughly $1 per mm of bed length......is it worth it????

$500 is $500. But i don't think if you have the space that is you can never have a Jointer long enough.
Anything more i can do to help just ask would be more than pleased.
Cheers

Sir Stinkalot
21st January 2004, 01:57 PM
Is there some problem at the moment with the Melbourne Carbatec site? I have tried a bookmarked link for the past week or so with no luck.

Carbatec Vic ???? (http://www.carbatecvic.com.au/)

sinjin
21st January 2004, 03:03 PM
hi guys tried the melb site and couldn't get onto it
Although went into the head office and the 8" is shown..
Cheers
http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-693public__0-0.html?cache=no

Suresh
21st January 2004, 03:21 PM
I was in at the Melbourne Carbatec shop last week. The guys there were surprised when I said I had seen something on their website, they said that their website is usually down.
I had a few things to say to them about their ordering, they never seem to be able to keep up their inventory. If you want anything you can be pretty sure that they have run out of it and have no idea when they will have it back in stock.
Suresh

DavidW
21st January 2004, 06:07 PM
Aaaah now we are getting to the bottom of it. The original post said Delta Jointer. The one in the link is the Carbatec clone although to look at it I would say it came off the same line as the Delta but perhaps without the same degree of quality control. Never the less I am sure its a good machine and I hope to have one in my new workshop after its built.

sinjin
22nd January 2004, 07:47 AM
Sorry David didn't mean to misslead you.

I haven't yet found anyone who actually has the Delta to see just how close they really are. The clone's finish quality looks very good compared to even a few years ago.
The other well know brand is of course is jet but they are quite a bit more and no one i can find has one in Vic to have a look at. But when i ask there motor size and cutter block diameter etc. They are the same as this clone and evenj the fence arrangement. So who knows which factory they are coming out of.
I put a straight edge along the long bed 6" and it was perfect and i had a couple of 300mm parrellel strips to look for wind. And again they were perfect.
So i hope the 8" will be as good and if it is i will but that i think.

DavidW
22nd January 2004, 11:34 AM
No worries sinjin, i got a little excited for a second there. The reason I believe they came out of the same factory is that when I saw the Carba-tec 8" it looked a lot like Norm's. I then put up both machines on the poota and they looked almost identicle.

As for the jet I haven't seen one but as these are made in Taiwan I wouldnt be surprised if they were all made in the same factory.

sinjin
22nd January 2004, 12:44 PM
Ok latest news....rang a mate who sells machines.
He then rang about the leda machine.
Exactly the same bed length exactly the same weight as the carba-tec.
Here is the funny part ..... the leda guys says for sure they are made in China not Tiawan.
Carba-tec says there are made Tiawan so really i have no idea.
I think i will just wait and see the machine when it gets here.
I rang carba-tec in Melb and they said they were due 2 days ago...So hopefully soon.
l

sinjin
22nd January 2004, 12:46 PM
I forgot to mention i gave the idea of the Jet away as the bed length is roughly 300mm shorter than Carba-tec. And it would appear quite a bit more expensive.

nic
22nd January 2004, 01:25 PM
I have the carbatec 6" (short bed) and they are made in china, it's all over the box !!
They had a special going on until 31st DEC I think, I got mine for $496 or something like that can't remember.

I'm very happy with it, apart from the drive belt which seems to be made out of chewing gum, and the blades that now have 2 big dents after running a short piece of particle board.

Anyone know where you can get a good (eg:german made) set of blades ?

Cheers

Nic

sinjin
22nd January 2004, 02:51 PM
Hi Nic,
Carbi tool can make u some blades......but if u look in the yellow pages. There are quite a few who can do that sort of thing
Carbi tool 9555 2966

nic
22nd January 2004, 03:16 PM
Hi sinjin

If I can get quality Oz made even better, thanks for the info

Cheers

Nic