PDA

View Full Version : Turning Banksia

stevew
3rd April 2008, 07:57 PM
Hello,
I managed to get hold of some well dried Banksia.
I am trying to turn up an end grain bowl.
The bloody thing seems to be as hard as concrete,I have to sharpen the tools every 6 or 7 passes.
Is there any special tips or hints for end grain turning this type of timber.
I usually cut it down the centre to make my blanks,but this was a left over that I would try at end grain turning.
I am getting a lot of dust and small shavings,and very blunt tools.
All tips .hints and comments are welcome.
Cheers.
Steve

thefixer
3rd April 2008, 08:12 PM
G'day Steve

I had the same problem with some tassie blackwood. Couldn't get near it with any tool I owned. Then I made a "oland" hollowing tool. Ripped into it like it was cheese. Search the forums for "oland". Easy enough to make if you can scab the right gear.

Cheers
Shorty

TTIT
3rd April 2008, 11:13 PM
I've turned a bit of Coastal Banksia and found it quite soft to work with but hard on tools because of the silica content. Shorty's suggestion is on the mark unless you're already using something like that. If your budget can stretch to about $80, get yourself a Woodcut Pro-forme Power head (http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=21) - turns endgrain to butter :2tsup:

OGYT
4th April 2008, 11:59 AM
G'day Steve,
Check out this website for Oland Tools. Darrell Feltmate shows how to make them.
http://www.aroundthewoods.com

turnerted
4th April 2008, 04:58 PM
TTIT
How is the Proforme Power head sharpened ?
Does it just fit into a suitable hole drilled in bit of rod ?

Ted

hughie
4th April 2008, 05:12 PM
If your budget can stretch to about $80, get yourself a Woodcut Pro-forme Power head (http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=21) - turns endgrain to butter :2tsup:
[/QUOTE]

I echo that, Proforme is the way to go. :2tsup:

TTIT
4th April 2008, 11:14 PM
TTIT
How is the Proforme Power head sharpened ?
Does it just fit into a suitable hole drilled in bit of rod ?

TedTo be honest I still haven't had to sharpen mine yet - but it is ready for a touch-up. I'll just use a little pen-type diamond hone like the ones they use to sharpen fish-hooks etc. Most of the work I've used mine for is green and the edge just seems to last forever - don't know what type of steel it is :shrug:
Yup! - just a hole drilled in the end of a rod - off-centre suits best so you don't need a metal lathe or anything hi-tech to do it.:U

rsser
5th April 2008, 04:56 PM
The combination of Cliff and the 'mash bowl' at the turnfest last year did a good job of blunting mine. They say to sharpen it with a scalloping motion of a paddle-style diamond hone in the same plane as the hook, dunno why, but I stroked it following the profile.

IIRC you can also send it back to the factory for reshaping.

Cliff Rogers
6th April 2008, 12:40 PM
The combination of Cliff and the 'mash bowl' at the turnfest last year did a good job of blunting mine. ....
Only 'cos I used to push out of the way a couple of times. :rolleyes: :D

rsser
6th April 2008, 01:42 PM
... so that's what bent the cap :D