PDA

View Full Version : Handy Punt newbie

Mike Redmond
5th April 2008, 10:09 AM
Hi,Ive just purchased prints n instructions for the Handy Punt ,kinda lost in there.:o.I have every intention of building the little boat just that the instructions and prints:doh: would like to know if there were any preceeding threads about this little rig would be quite glad to read up on them Mike R

Daddles
5th April 2008, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the nuthouse Mike (we do still let in Canadians don't we? :?)

I haven't seen the Handy Punt plans so I can only talk generally, but I can assure you that the 'Oh my sainted aunt' reaction is pretty normal when you see a set of plans for the first plan. However, as you stare at the things, you'll find that bits of information rely on other bits and it all starts to fall together after a bit.

Really bad plans have little information and hence appear easy at first first sight. Really good plans have lots of of information and can intimidating at first glance. Bit of a paradox but believe me, you want plans with lots of information.

Just sit down and work your way through the building sequence. Building a model is a good move because it allows you to see how things fit together and goes a long way towards breaking the ice.

It pays to remember this bit of advice (from John Welsford I think) - the boat building mistake has not been made that can not be fixed with epoxy :doh:

Much of the information and methodology for the GIS, the PDRs and the Eureka canoe will apply to your Handy Punt so wide reading through here will help.

Just gibbitago mate :D

Richard

gibbitago - say it slowly, break it into sylables and replace the 'b's with a 'v' :wink:

hairymick
5th April 2008, 11:30 AM
G.day Mike,

Welcome aboard mate!

I am sure Boatmik will be along shortly to answer your questions.:2tsup:

Cybernaught
6th April 2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Mike

The more you think about it the more misgivings you'll have. The more you study the plans the more complicated the whole process will seem.

No matter how you think it will be; it will be different. Maybe worse or maybe better but different..

Grab the tools and start with the comforting knowledge that there isn't a screw up you can make that can't be fixed with enough epoxy and covered up with enough paint.

Perhaps most importantly. Try not to take any of it too seriously, because fifty thousand years from now we'll all be looking back laughing.

Welcome to the insanity.

CN

Boatmik
6th April 2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Mike,

The advice is good - but cybernaught is a bit confusing - making it sound like things get worse and worse - but really they get better and better!

Start at the beginning - every step is in there. Start marking out the side panels as the plan suggests. Then cut them out and join them up following the plan sequence. Start to get a few bits cut and joined and maybe epoxy coated (see the appendices) and it will all start to make more and more sense.

There is quite a lot of information about similar building methods on our PDRacer website - under "building" there is probably enough pics to give you a better idea.
See http://www.pdracer.info

And of course if you have any questions you can ask me (email address is on the front of the plan) or put them up in this section - I read it most days.

If you wanted to take digital pics and post them here that would be fantastic - some others have done that with other boats of my design and those threads attract huge numbers of readers - because people find them useful and interesting.

Best wishes.
Michael

Mike Redmond
6th April 2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words will read up and down them instructions for a bit more.Temp was about 5c yesterday was loking for a hasty sring and warmer weather to tinker around in my unheated garage.But sadly so went to bed last night there was this tiny sprinkle of snow....woke up to 6inches of the nasty stuff this morning...AARRRGHHHH!!! itll be a while before Ill be making sawdust, guess itll give me more time to study them plans and instructions.But thank you again for them encouraging words much apreciated:2tsup:Mike freezing his a*** up in northern Alberta

bitingmidge
6th April 2008, 11:01 AM
Mike,

Freezing is a novel concept to us!

It's all been said above, as Mik pointed out, the PDR is similar in shape if not in execution, so you should get some pointers there.

Don't get too scared, we're all here to laugh at your every move!

Cheers,

P
:D:D:D

Boatmik
15th June 2008, 11:45 PM
Should be thawing out in Northern Alberta about now!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/2579687363_0e363e6a2a.jpg

I thought I should put a couple of Handy Punt pics up to keep everyone's appetite wetted!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/2580515986_b72ef216f2.jpg

The picture above shows how little vacuuming is required while the boat is being built.

And she goes - I originally stressed her for around 15hp - remember the discussion that often 10 and 15hp models are almost the same weight for some manufacturers.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/2580515894_b2c6a37717.jpg

Well - she is so light and flat that the situation has been described that - the Punt can handle 15, but the owner who tried it reckons he can only handle a 10!

And finally - like all my boats ... she looks rather nice - yes!? (for a box). It always amuses me a bit that people try to put some vee in punts - like a five degree vee is going to make any difference at all!?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2580516642_54b0dc717a.jpg
http://www.flickr.com

Though you can blame it in part on the builders - whoever picked that dark blue! Do you like the accent line below the sheer? it took forever for me to get it right!

Best wishes.

Mike Redmond
16th June 2008, 02:01 AM
Yes,its summer here now.Up and building that John boat nott following anyones prints though.Got plans from Michael Storer's Handy Punt ,Plans from Jim Michalak junoir john boat(and for the full sized one also )and prints from Uncle Johns john boat.I just couldnt quite make up my mind , so I am taking some ideas from all of them and building something of my own.We will see how she handles on the lake when Ill be done ....Mike R

Vernr
16th June 2008, 10:26 AM
Ah!!....the Handy Punt!!!.........thanks guys for reminding me of this plan!!
I have been considering what to build for use in my local river/lagoon system for chasing Bream. Until now I was close to deciding on a GIS but I had completely forgotten about the Handy Punt........it would be perfect, shallow draft, wider, more stable fishing platform than the GIS.....and I already have an 8hp Mariner OB to power it (as an aux on my current boat)........purrrrrrfect!!

Very interested to hear how your build goes Mike.....and some photos as you get in to it would be great!!

taymere
19th July 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi, I am considering ordering Handy Punt plans and I want to know if the dimensions are metric or standard, and whether the plywood sheets and dimensional lumber have the same call out sizes Down Under. I already have Payson's book with the Skimmer plans but the extra rigidity and flotation afforded by the extra seats in Handy Punt are attractive. Skimmers plans are very straight forward, how much longer do you think the Handy Punt would take to build than the skimmer?

Does Handy Punt have enough flotation such that if it were swamped it could be bailed out back to floating nicely without having to remove the motor? (my motor is a 2 stroke 10 hp mercury, wouldn't want to lose it)

Boatmik
20th July 2008, 12:07 AM
Hi, I am considering ordering Handy Punt plans and I want to know if the dimensions are metric or standard, and whether the plywood sheets and dimensional lumber have the same call out sizes Down Under.

There are two timber lists in the plan ... imperial and metric. All dimensioned drawings are in metric only, but almost everyone adapts to the method quite quickly - also there are generally enough redundant measurements that if you make a mistake then something nearby will make it obvious there is a problem. Through the plan text the first time a piece of timber is named I give the dimensions in both systems as at that point the builder will be searching through the stack for the right piece.

I already have Payson's book with the Skimmer plans but the extra rigidity and flotation afforded by the extra seats in Handy Punt are attractive. Skimmers plans are very straight forward, how much longer do you think the Handy Punt would take to build than the skimmer?

Don't forget the extra size either!

The difference in building time is probably more to do with the building method and materials used. The skimmer is designed to be an almost throwaway. But the Handy Punt makes use of the advantages of epoxy to produce a boat that will be around for many seasongs

Does Handy Punt have enough flotation such that if it were swamped it could be bailed out back to floating nicely without having to remove the motor? (my motor is a 2 stroke 10 hp mercury, wouldn't want to lose it)

It has LOTS of buoyancy. I wouldn't guarantee that it would be OK, but there are quite a few cubic feet and it is right across the boat - so it should be stable laterally.

Best wishes
Michael

taymere
21st July 2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for your detailed answer Michael