PDA

View Full Version : Help needed cutting burl...

killerbeast
7th April 2008, 07:16 PM
Hello all... well im digging in on the gloat load tomorrow.. and i need some helt cutting up the burls and mounting ad turning.. I am after all still a beginner...

this is the burl i plan on starting with itīs chestnut. i can post more pics later today/tomorrow..

bowl-basher
7th April 2008, 10:53 PM
Don"t cut it just send it to me as is:D:D:D:D
I Green with envy:D:D:D:D
But enjoy your haul
Bowl Basher

TTIT
7th April 2008, 11:31 PM
I would normally sit a chunk like that on my bench for however long it takes to work out just what I want to get from it. Then it could sit there another few weeks until I work out exactly how I should cut it to get the best out of it. In short, there is no singular definitive way to cut and turn any piece of wood Rasmus! :shrug: Use the force!!! :;:U:U:U:U

killerbeast
7th April 2008, 11:37 PM
Bowl-basher : And santa is real :)

TTIT : hmmmm i figured as much... but some kind of hit would be nice :-) And the other thing is a have a lot of thees :) så i if i put them on my bech i wont be able to see it hehe

oldiephred
8th April 2008, 08:50 AM
Regardless of how you cut it , you will say s--- shudda done that different. Alot like life:doh:

rsser
8th April 2008, 12:35 PM
+1 to TTIT's advice.

I take it that it's too big at the moment to fit your lathe?

Do you want to retain the natural edge?

Do you want burl figure consistent through the blank? (Your piece has some ordinary grain so will you want to trim that away?)

If you want a bowl out of it (rather than slices for clocks, barometers/thermometers etc) then try to visualise where it might sit in your lump. This can be a real mind tease and Vern's advice to think your way into it is wise. (I've had pieces sit on my bench for months before inspiration strikes).

And one tip if you do want a bowl out of it: start roughing with a spur drive and tailstock so that you can reposition the piece to avoid voids and other flaws and to optimise it for the best form.

Good luck.

ticklingmedusa
8th April 2008, 02:46 PM
These illustrations might be useful. http://www.dallaswoodturners.com/NEWSLETTERS/2006/Bowl_Blanks_from_Log.PDF
tm

rsser
8th April 2008, 03:48 PM
Darn good post TM.

Came across it some time back and forgot to BM it.

And how's SoCal after the fires?

killerbeast
8th April 2008, 05:13 PM
Thank you all, will tyr the patien approch... (right hehe) ah vell looking to make a bowl from it and i want figure all around... good sound advice with the spur setup !! and the PDF is great for reff. will most def. need to add that to my shop guides...

ticklingmedusa
8th April 2008, 08:37 PM
Darn good post TM.

Came across it some time back and forgot to BM it.

And how's SoCal after the fires?

Hey Ern,
I think I posted that here once before.
Todd Hoyer, a well known US turner created the images.
We are okay here. The fire burned to an area about 8 miles from my house.
I drive a van & was on call to pickup some rehab / wildlife rescue animals
that were almost evacuated at a coworkers house but it didn't happen.
Lots of smoke in the air and ash everywhere.
I decided the healthiest thing to do was to simply keep turning wood.
With the trend airshield I couldn't smell the smoke.
We had rain this winter so things are greening up nicely ...
with lots of wildflowers in our mountains & desert.
I saw wild turkeys while driving through a burned area so I reckon
things are on the mend.
The spur drive & tailstock idea is sound advice too.
tm