PDA

View Full Version : The Cutler-style Desk rebuild is DONE!!!!

Kerry Blue
8th April 2008, 12:13 PM
Finally managed to finish the latest restoration project. The old desk was in very poor shape when I started. Both pedestals had been dragged across rough floors in the past - this action split and shattered the rear frames so that the ply panels were "accessories" rather than part of the structure. Duct tape was all that held everything together!!!

Both pedestals were completely rebuilt with replacement frame pieces made from American Oak. New timbers for the drawers to run on were installed and the bottoms of the drawer sides all replaced and planed to fit. The desk top was too shallow front to back so another piece of oak was added to the leading edge to try and get the proportions right.

All stripped and finished - now back in daily use in the study!

If I can ever finish the six oak chairs that go with the oak dining table (restored it concurrently with the desk), I might get around to building a roll-top and pigeon holes for the desk. There's evidence it was once a roll-top which someone removed - thus the reduced size of the desktop before restoration!

Now if the rain will just stop I'm off to play with the latest toy...a second-hand routermaster.......

Kerry Blue
8th April 2008, 12:21 PM
I'm a VERY KEEN woodworking woman living on the Tweed. After winning a Selleys workshop competition in the 1980s I bought a cheap house so I could renovate and learn to use all the tools! I have been an avid tool collector ever since and have had to keep moving in order to increase the size of my shed. You name it, it's in my shed! :2tsup:

watson
8th April 2008, 12:27 PM
Looks like a great restore!!

RufflyRustic
8th April 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi and Welcome Kerry.

Great job on the desk! I don't supposed you managed to hold the desk together and take a picture of the duct tape with the other hand? that would have been very interesting :D

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum and your future work.

cheers
Wendy

flynnsart
8th April 2008, 09:09 PM
:2tsup:Nice job on the desk. Is there a pic of the table? I do like before and after shots if you have them. And welcome!

donna

tea lady
8th April 2008, 11:32 PM
Hi Kerry. Beautiful job on the desk.:)

kekemo
9th April 2008, 12:34 AM
Hi Kerry...( nice name...must be great lady..)
..laughed when I read...the upsizing shed bit...mmm...yes done exactly that....moved into here...because of shed...then made the house suitable...but shed was the most important...that made the sale...

...great restoration job....although I haven't really done must restoration...I can imagine it isn't very easy....& guessing it would be very time consuming also....

...but my love for old furniture is the reason I replicate....the characters & craftmenship are so delightful...I just NEED/MUST HAVE more...many more pieces....never have nothing to do....always have two or three projects on the go....

Never enough time to complete what I yearn to.....can see we will become very good friends...keep posting ....keep showing us ....your work your shop....your wood!
...& if you find any spare time.....send me some......

sincerely KEKEMO....alias...Kerry

mcarthur
9th April 2008, 10:05 AM
Nice! I've an old rolltop of my grandfathers out of what looks like silky oak. It isn't falling apart like yours, but needs TLC and restoration. I must admit I'm afraid of touching it for fear of stuffing things up - even sanding anything! Your post takes me a little closer to doing it... :2tsup:.

Rob

Sleeping Dog
9th April 2008, 09:13 PM
That's a great restore, do you know what vintage/history it is?

artme
9th April 2008, 11:31 PM
Great job Kerry!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: and welcome to the nuthouse!:D:D

Kerry Blue
10th April 2008, 09:36 AM
The desk has been in the family for over 50 years. It was built sometime between 1910 and the Depression and was originally owned by a shearing machine manufacturer in Sydney. That firm was "taken over" by another, then a series of takeovers took place and the desk was moved (read "was dragged behind a truck")all over SYD. Eventually it was deemed so decrepit that it was destined for the tip but was rescued in the 1960s to become a "student desk". It then made many more moves! The restoration has been on the agenda for at least 16 years but I didn't want to touch it until I felt I had the skills. Looking at the end result, this was a good decision. If I had tried to complete this level of repair even 10 years ago I daresay I would have destroyed the project!

Incoming!
10th April 2008, 06:14 PM
Looks great Kerry and welcome!

jarblinx
27th July 2009, 10:22 PM
Hi Kerry

I saw your restoration post and I am impressed with the results. I need to do some work on a similar oak desk. Can you advise if you had to buy some Oak for the repairs? I am in Brisbane and I need to buy some American Oak boards to repair one of the returns on my desk. The return is the board that slides out of the top of the draw pedestal, just below the desk top. Mine are a frame suround with a thin infill panel all oak wood.

How did you finish your desk after the repairs? Shellac, Varnish, stain.

I would appreciate some advise on natural Oak finishing.

Kerry Blue
30th July 2009, 08:10 PM
I was lucky to do the restoration as part of my weekly class with Michael Borton, fine woodworker extraordinaire, who lives in Murwillumbah. He provided the oak from his stores but I think Lazarides (or similar spelling) is the place to ask for local info in Brisbane.

My desk was completely hand stripped (stripper, metho, water) and then sanded before applying some oak stain which was darkened with pigment (van dyke crystals?). This was followed by coats of Feast Watson (I think) Floor Seal which is great to apply, dries quickly and gives a very durable finish.

Good luck with your desk! And PM me if you have any more questions!