PDA

View Full Version : Golding Wood Lathe

Penpal
8th April 2008, 03:24 PM
Just bought a Golding Ornamental lathe with Lay Shaft drive and a host of special cutters,a duplicating device,a 12 volt motor that mounts on the tool rest area,an enormous gizmo with wheels and arms and XY movements etc plus a lot of fancy cutters.I will wait a week or so for my sore back to improve before I take delivery.I believe they were made in Geelong,anyone with info please be in touch.
Peter:2tsup:

wheelinround
8th April 2008, 04:38 PM
Just bought a Golding Ornamental lathe with Lay Shaft drive and a host of special cutters,a duplicating device,a 12 volt motor that mounts on the tool rest area,an enormous gizmo with wheels and arms and XY movements etc plus a lot of fancy cutters.I will wait a week or so for my sore back to improve before I take delivery.I believe they were made in Geelong,anyone with info please be in touch.

A photo would be nice Peter

Hope your back improves

Edwards
8th April 2008, 05:42 PM

Sounds great.
Would love to see some pics.

I think you are right about being made in Geelong but I have never heard that they made an Ornamental type.
Cheers
Edwards:)

Jim Carroll
8th April 2008, 07:08 PM
Jock Golding made very basic lathes. Good but basic.

He also made different jigs and fixtures for the lathes, as well as ornamental jigs.

Most were custom made to what the customer wanted, not even sure if he is still alive as he would probably be in his 90s now.

It would have been made in the 1980-90s he was a very inventive man it may take a while for you to work out what all the gizmos can do.

Penpal
8th April 2008, 10:25 PM
The lathe and bits quite tickled my imagination but I wont see it again for at least a week.The first lathe I bought was a piece of junk prompting me to make one of my own design.It worked just fine,that is my one at some time later we had a visit from the Ornamental Group in Sydney,this gave me an awareness of heaps of variations of the theme of ornamentation using various methods,eliptical turning became real and the great Frenchman showed us how to do the twist with variations on the theme.
In the mean time several lathes including a boys own treadle lathe with a scroll saw attachments made in the 1800 s the same as the American Woodturners had on their advertising brochure.
The Golding reminds me by the very nature of its construction it has incorporated a whole intrigue involving so many pieces.I can tell they have all come from the one workshop,all painted a dark green.
One metal lathe I had was 1800 s anvil lathe cause it was shaped so specially and so well made,a series of metal lathes all second hand done up by me,sold on and after three Hercus lathes from South Australia one Hercus and a small Taig remain.
Neat design and reasoned construction demands and commands as does this lathe.I intend to have fun with this and yes I will photograph it when I locate a home for it,its top speed appears to be around 4000 and a real slow one the slowest by using the drive and intermediate lay shafting.
I intend to muck around with pens and the lathe.
I have posted pics of my modified mini metal lathe that I designed after with an indexing toothed gear of 72 teeth to allow multi faceted shapes using an outboard small router on my hefty mill drill XY axis bed.this is for faceting and inlaying pens.
An interesting time ahead.Am seeking info from successful pic takers of pens to enable top pics to show some of the exciting grain of some exceptional timber.
In the mean time looking for info from owners present or past of the Golding lathe.
Thanks for your interest Peter:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
8th April 2008, 11:35 PM
Looks like we both be learning together. I will have my new ornamental lathe arriving here too, next week. I am so excited.
Toni

ubeaut
9th April 2008, 02:16 AM
At one time I had 16 Golding lathes on the floor for students to use. Cheaper than Teknatool and at the time probably better From memory I paid around $300 each. Golding was the first to use the swivel head 15 of mine swivelled and was one of the first to come up with a good working cam lock for cross slide. Ugly looking rectangular cast head stock. Infinitely adjustable centre height and swing of drive shaft and tail stock. The first and maybe the only manufacturer of a drive dog with a spring loaded centre opoint and a whole heap of other really nifty stuff.

Jock was the brains and innovator as Jim said and son Simon was the manufacturer of the standard range of lathes. Jock made some pretty special lathes. One of the nicest lathes I ever used was a timber bed lathe made by Jock around '86 smoothest running lathe I ever came across just as smooth as the Nova DRV and 20 years before its time.

Last I can recall of Jock he was into making small ornamental lathes and all sorts of weird and wonderful chucks and mechanical devices to make patterns etc. He showed up at a few country woodies shown and a couple of our Woodies Swap Meets (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/swapmeet.html) (unfortunately most of the pics have gone) back in the mid 90's.

I once turned 6 ft diameter table top on the outrigger and turned a lot of pretty scary stuff between centres. They had a leg set-up on the later models that would allow for the lathe to sit solid on the most uneven ground.

Innovative lathes, way ahead of their time and could nave been amongst the best in the world had they continued making them.

Simomatra
9th April 2008, 08:38 AM
Congratulations Peter

So we will soon start to see some exotic work coming from your shed.

lubbing5cherubs
11th April 2008, 07:20 PM
Any piccys yet of your machine?
Toni

Penpal
11th April 2008, 07:35 PM
Have not picked mine up yet,good chance to show yours first. Peter

lubbing5cherubs
11th April 2008, 11:16 PM
Penpal mate posted piccies in the WTB thread where I sourced her from there is a picture of my baby that on her way
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
16th April 2008, 05:00 PM
is it there yet? Have you got to play yet?
Toni

wheelinround
16th April 2008, 05:53 PM
is it there yet? Have you got to play yet?
Toni

same to you Toni

Penpal
16th April 2008, 11:51 PM
Picked it up today,just finished part stripping and modifying the drive,need two bearings tomorrow,I will photograph the main lathe if I can,when I figure out the other bits will assemble them,getting help at this time to identify the bits.The lathes like this one were made to special order each one as requested the guy made them and this one he delivered to Canberra many years ago.My comment is it is very like a lathe I would make myself and so as I work on it it is satisfying.Proof that collecting odds and sods pays came true,I have to replace a short shaft and I had five lengths from stripped photocopiers one fits spot on.
Having said the lathe itself I could manage but the accessories are really interesting.
Placing the lathe in my shop I have a powerful 12 volt supply less than two meters that will provide power to the 12 volt motor driven shaft,the drive belt is perished but an O ring will take care of that.This part holds different cutters.Having fun but a long day.Thinking of fitting a winch and ramp on my trailer to load things like lathes.Used my engine lifter and flat six wheel trolley abandoned at a shopping centre car park with two broken wheels that I repaired and I use it quite often.
Getting it together soon I hope. Peter:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
17th April 2008, 12:08 AM
Cool. My girl is also in the building. We unloaded it off the trailer with a crane (mate of my dad's so the price was right). It was rather funny we had the whole neighbourhood out the front watching. LOL I suppose not every day you see a crane in someone front yard. One old fellow went from the verandah to mowing the lawn to getting closer to chatting to next door and then finally came and seen if hubby needed a lift under the house. I think curiosity was killing him. Gees it was funny
Toni

wheelinround
17th April 2008, 09:21 AM
Penpal its sounds so tempting I'd like to ask if I take a drive down to ACT could I come and view it. :D whats a 3 hours drive besides LOML can visit her cousin.

Photo's to quell my inquisitiveness.

:doh: Damn where did that old Spirograph go.

Must have been the strangest sight Toni :o a huge box why? whats in it? all the while you r heart pounding that it doesn't drop fall get broken is still in one piece.
Then unpacking it:D

Penpal
17th April 2008, 03:58 PM
You are welcome any time to visit I have lots of ideas to share this lathe will take a while to figure or configure,as a lathe it will run right now however I have to be satisfied it runs its best possible.I have had a Waldown double ended buff unit for ages,never been used,fitted an old three phase motor that proved faulty then fitted another I had but it took half a day to shift the old pulley off the shaft some ideot had glued the thing with the allen key to the shaft,never know what you will find with purchases.
Send me a pm and I will give you my phone number,Home address and E mail address.Peter:2tsup:

wheelinround
17th April 2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you Peter pm sent

Now to convince LOML a visit to ACT would be great :rolleyes:

Oh where's your photo's o the pride and joy

lubbing5cherubs
19th April 2008, 08:57 PM
have you got it yet?

Penpal
20th April 2008, 12:19 AM
Yes refer page 1. I have and still mystified by bits will reassemble the lathe during the week and take pics then.