PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed

Stufart
10th April 2008, 06:04 PM
G"day guys, Im new here and I need some urgent help finging a tool that will cut this shape. I have looked at copy lathes, router lathes and so on. Im only a beginer at wood work so this is a bit new to me. I build and sell fishing rods and this handle has caused me much greif over the past few years. The photos will show a beofre and after shot. this shows the angle or curves I need cut out of the timber. Any help would be great.

Stu

wheelinround
10th April 2008, 06:09 PM
Stu can hardly make out the shape but guess part of it from second pic

Off setting it will work

Like doing table legs of similar shape :2tsup:

Stufart
10th April 2008, 06:24 PM
Don’t mean to sound stupid, but what do you mean by off setting it? Im only new to wood working and although I love it, Im still very green. Thanks very much for the reply. Would you have any pics of off setting or the tool to do it with?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Stu

Stu in Tokyo
10th April 2008, 08:19 PM
Hi Stu!

We are talking about the wooden knob on the end that goes onto the base of the rod (looks like some kind of graphite?)

I'd turn wooden part like a normal spindle, I'd do it with the flared end in the chuck, then I'd drill a hole to take in the round part on the rod, then I'd cut the curve on the piece with the bandsaw.

Here, a bit clearer pic of your rod

Here is the first step I'd do, turn a spindle like this, with a hole drilled into the left end of it.........

Then cut the curve to match your rod on a bandsaw.

You would have to make up a jig to hold the piece while you cut it, but that would not be a big deal.

Well, that is how I'd do it.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

hughie
10th April 2008, 08:23 PM
Stu,

Failing that look around for a cnc router with 4 axis's it would do it very easily.

Stufart
10th April 2008, 08:25 PM
Stu in Tokyo

The timber you see is in fact the front grip which has to be glued onto the reel seat which is the dark grey section. The red line you have drawn is spot on, however the jig is the thing I need to work out. The jig is the crux of all my migrains and hair pulling. I was thinking about using a bobbin sander in conjunction with the jig. If you could show me or explain to me how to make a jig for this thing I would be in your debt.

Kind Regards
Stufart

Zarguld
10th April 2008, 09:26 PM
The jig is just so you have somthing to hold the odd shape while you cut it on the bandsaw some sort of clamp for it would do or you could router a nice one to hold it and then use it over and over again allot easier.

joe greiner
10th April 2008, 09:27 PM
The bobbin sander could be used to finish the cut from the bandsaw. For both operations, you just need a sled to retain the piece. Because of the odd shape, it might be best to leave a round tenon beyond the flared part and clamp to that via a two part wood block with a drilled hole. After final sanding, cut off the extraneous tenon and sand the end. The temporary tenon will have to be larger than the hole of course, if the hole goes all the way through. I'm not a fisherman, so maybe I've misunderstood the whole thing.

Joe

Stu in Tokyo
11th April 2008, 12:48 AM
Joe that is a very good idea, you could easily leave the tenon long, beyond the flare on the bottom of the wooden piece, the handle butt, in fact, you could easily leave it square, which would make it even easier.

Stu, I'd use some sort of a template to cut on the bandsaw, and then the bobbing sander to finish it, like Joe said.

A toggle clamp would be good.....

take a look at >> THIS (http://www.woodcraft.com/articleprint.aspx?ArticleID=410) << article about using a template on the bandsaw.......

Cheers!

robyn2839
11th April 2008, 08:06 AM
stuart where on the sunny coast are you ?i am near bribie ,sandstone point ,maybe you could come down and i can show you how to do it ,..........bob.

wheelinround
11th April 2008, 08:54 AM
you could always use hand tools such as spoke shave

oldiephred
11th April 2008, 09:53 AM
Would it be possible to turn the piece from square stock and leave some of the square sticking out to allow easier holding and alignment on the bandsaw table.? This would probably require drilling for the reel holder before cutting. Finally cut off the square piece and sand the end. I think you will have some trouble trying to keep that round piece well aligned in the saw.
Possibly I am way off based on what appears to be needed. I can fish with them but can't makem.

Stufart
11th April 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks heaps guys, very much appreciated. robyn2839 Im just near Nambour, takes me around 40 minutes to get to Bribie Island. I go down that way a fair bit so if you dont mind I would love to drop in if thats ok by you. Could you PM me with your details and I will be down with bells on. Thanks again for every one that helped out.:2tsup: It quite funny, I have built large alloy sportfishing boats, alloy boat pontoons, boat ramps, boat trailers and yet this very small peice of wood has got me stumped. :C

Stu

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th April 2008, 03:03 PM
A bit late, but Stu's approach makes sense.

However, I think I'd change the order of things so that the curve is one of the first major shapings. That way you could test fit it to the handle, say to yourself "Nup. It needs a bit more off here" - marking it with a pencil - and tweak the curve until it fits really nice without running the risk of taking off too much for the handle to be useful.

A process something like:
drill a squared blank to fit the shank make a paper template of the curve and xfer it to the blank cut the curve test fit fine tune the curve repeat above two steps as as needed make a dowel to fit the hole so you can remount it on the lathe turn the handle to final shape

Leaving the blank squared until the last step makes for simple cutting of a fairly accurate curve on a BS or similar, no jigs required. :)

If I wanted to get into mass production, the only real differences would be xferring the paper template to a more durable material and then doing each step in batches.

joe greiner
11th April 2008, 11:19 PM
... in fact, you could easily leave it square, which would make it even easier.

Righto, if you start with square stock. I usually start with tree trunks or firewood, so I hadn't thought of that.

Joe

robyn2839
12th April 2008, 02:14 AM
worked out how to make jig scanned drawing to adobe acrobat but cant shrink.,will make one then photograph and post....................bob

Stufart
12th April 2008, 12:32 PM
Bob

Missed your call mate, could you ring again and if I miss it this time could you leave your number so i can ring back. Im building an alloy boat so I may be grinding or welding and cant hear the phone.

Stu

robyn2839
15th April 2008, 05:39 PM
this idea seems to work, have made three ends and all have turned out the same,still need a small fine tune with dremmelljust make blank ,place in jig and cut along face

Outbackrr
15th April 2008, 08:18 PM
Good thinking Bob, looks like it'll do the job.

Much blood involved?

robyn2839
16th April 2008, 01:29 PM
works better now i added a metal guide for the blade to follow,not perfect but not too bad.bob