PDA

View Full Version : who said you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

cedar n silky
11th April 2008, 08:57 PM
I was helping my girl friend start to pack up her house (in a rural location outside of Lismore) which she has been forced to sell due to "Mortgage stress"! I was taking all the old crappy wood back to my place and docking it on the drop saw for fire wood, when I noticed a familiar smell. I looked at the end grain of a particularly nasty bit of framing, and saw the lovely golden colour, and tell tale oily appearance of Australian Teak. A very rare tree, that was all but taken in the pioneering days. It turns beautifully. Hard but smooth. Used for all sorts of things like house frames, and fenceposts (and boats I imagine) in th old days. Alas it is only a 75x 50mm and only about 2meters length, so I guess I will make lots of egg cups, unless someone else has a suggestion. I thought about napkin holders, but i don't know anyone that uses napkins up around here!
I know of one spectacular Teak which must be 3 meters or more across the trunk at the base. It is in the Toonambah National Park near Kyogle in Northern NSW. Its on a walk known as the "Murray Scrub", a tiny patch of huge Red Cedars (maybe 50 trees) and this one Teak, (sorry, no photo) in amongs some magnificent rainforest.

DJ’s Timber
11th April 2008, 09:11 PM
Nice one Cedar, looks like a lovely grain there

RufflyRustic
11th April 2008, 09:52 PM
Now that's what I call a major, glorious find! :)

cheers
Wendy

funkychicken
11th April 2008, 10:27 PM
I know of one spectacular Teak which must be 3 meters or more across the trunk at the base. It is in the Toonambah National Park near Kyogle in Northern NSW. Its on a walk known as the "Murray Scrub", a tiny patch of huge Red Cedars (maybe 50 trees) and this one Teak, (sorry, no photo) in amongs some magnificent rainforest.

Hey I'm off to Kyogle tomorrow.. Maybe I can persuade the parentals to take a small detour...

Good find:2tsup: Old construction timber can be a great source of amazing wood. For example the big pile of Jarrah 4x2 from my uncles house:q

TTIT
11th April 2008, 11:03 PM
He's back !!!:o You been walkabout again Cedar???:; Don't go and blow the whole lot of that board just yet - should at least save a 50x50x70 plug for swapping :; never know what might pop up!!!! (PM comin' at ya)
Pity I don't have a need to go down that way anymore 'cos I'd love to go have a look at that patch of bush - maybe 'one day'!

Frank&Earnest
11th April 2008, 11:24 PM
Don't go and blow the whole lot of that board just yet - should at least save a 50x50x70 plug for swapping :; never know what might pop up!!!! (PM comin' at ya)

Some day you are the eggcup, some day you are the egg...:D

Here you have another suggestion, Cedar. :wink:

artme
11th April 2008, 11:35 PM
Lucky bugger!!:o:o

Don't forget to keep a sqmple so you can show others about it.

Can't work out that second cup. Is it a small egg, or a big cup!:D:D:D

Nice turning!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Burnsy
11th April 2008, 11:40 PM
Nice timber, what about some handles for a scribe or some chisels, something that is always at had to smell and feel.

rowie
12th April 2008, 01:00 AM
Is it Crows Ash(Flindersia Australis) you are speaking of?

lubbing5cherubs
12th April 2008, 01:14 AM
nice find. and cool egg cups.
Toni

cedar n silky
12th April 2008, 10:02 AM
Some day you are the eggcup, some day you are the egg...:D

Here you have another suggestion, Cedar. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion Frank! Why didn't I think of that.:B

cedar n silky
12th April 2008, 10:03 AM
Nice timber, what about some handles for a scribe or some chisels, something that is always at had to smell and feel.

Another great suggestion. I think I have seen Teak in tool handles before, and the size I have would be good for that. Thanks Burnsy:2tsup:

cedar n silky
12th April 2008, 10:12 AM
Is it Crows Ash(Flindersia Australis) you are speaking of?

I beleive so Rowie. I googled it and came up with these.
http://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/good_wood/oz_avoid.htm
http://www.brisrain.webcentral.com.au/old_site/database/Flind_australis.htm
The seed pods are amazing, and i have picked up a few in my travels.
As you are aware there is huge amounts of "Teak" outdoor furniture from Asia available, and it does look similar, but the "Australis" seems to indicate it might be unique Australian species.

cedar n silky
12th April 2008, 10:17 AM
Lucky bugger!!:o:o

Don't forget to keep a sqmple so you can show others about it.

Can't work out that second cup. Is it a small egg, or a big cup!:D:D:D

Nice turning!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The small egg?!? Well, it's like this. I have 5 chooks. 2 black and 3 brown. They have been laying diligently for a year or so now, nice "normal" size eggs. and the other day, instead of 5 eggs in the box there were 5 plus the tiny ony. I guess one chook is trying extra hard!:D My grandson is going to be amused!:)

rsser
13th April 2008, 03:34 PM
Picked up a green 'Crow's ash' bowl blank at the last WWW show. Colour and figure look similar to this.

Crotch piece; b*gger to dry without checking.

powderpost
13th April 2008, 11:07 PM
Hard and oily, check up on hickory (Flindersia Ifflaiana). Supposed to only grow in North Queensland, but who knows?
Jim