PDA

View Full Version : Small lathe based ornamental device for pens

Penpal
12th April 2008, 09:26 AM
The base is a Clisby Lathe made for metal turning,stripped and modified,retaining the bed,headstock,tailstock.

Tail stock has a turned and fitted brass block,neat fit bored to house the pen mandrel,it is slid off to change blanks.
Corion on brass for the two spacers,there is a brass sleeve on the mandrel for demo.The mandrel is locked onto the drill chuck that is locked on the head stock,the knurled nut locks the blank from moving on the shaft.

On the end of the head stock tapped into the drive gear is a 72 tooth gear wheel to provide indexing,why 72 teeth because I had one and it is equally divisible for my purpose.

Outside framing of 10mm aluminium supports the locking gear that meshes with the 72 tooth one to hold it in posn,held down on swivel with a spring.
Swivel arm steel from a photocopier topped with a spun brass knob(why not have a flight of fancy)

Solid aluminium turning grip to shift from posn to posn.The lathe body is drill tapped to a 1 1/4inch block of aluminium.

This device is bolted to my mill drill bed that provides the X and Y movement,up,down as well.

A small finishing router is used from an outrigger attachment off the quill of the substantial mill drill.

Finished it this morning will use it fully soon as I instal my new lathe.

Fascinating to make and full of what ifs all the way.

Peter:2tsup:

corbs
12th April 2008, 09:33 AM
Peter I must say that looks awesome... keep us posted when you flash it up on a pen:2tsup:.

Corbs

lubbing5cherubs
12th April 2008, 09:40 AM
I had looked at those but are those not minute in size?
Toni

Penpal
12th April 2008, 11:14 AM
Toni the lathe is around a foot long and half a pen just over two inches it becomes almost overkill,it weighs in at seven pounds all up quite solid and when bolted down fantastic as well.It serves to hold half a pen under a small router.
Trust your new lathe arrives safely soon. Picking up the extras on my new one today and the lathe next week.

Peter:2tsup: