PDA

View Full Version : But it won't hold water???

powderpost
13th April 2008, 08:50 PM
This one was started in 2002, and resurfaced in the clean up a while back. It is 235mm high and 100mm diameter. Made from privot, a weed that is similar to camphor laurel and has a bunch of purple fruit similar to a bunch of grapes. The tree is very invasive and is capable of destroying a rain forest. It has now been put to good use. The base is black bean. Originally it was going to be pierce carved with a vine and leaf pattern but that didn't seem to fit the shape. The 'hole' pattern looked better.
The top section is 1mm thick. That was a bit of a challenge.
The first two photos are from two sides.
No. 3 is looking from the top.
No 4 is of the bottom.
Jim

Harry72
13th April 2008, 08:54 PM
Bit'a silicon will fix it :D

powderpost
13th April 2008, 09:03 PM
Good one... :D
Jim

coffenup
13th April 2008, 09:28 PM
:yourock2:
If I was you Jim I would get my workshop fumigated against those pesky termites

lubbing5cherubs
13th April 2008, 09:29 PM
nice

Ad de Crom
13th April 2008, 09:42 PM
Jim, this is a stunning piece of work. I agree with you that it was a challenge to turn the top so thin. All I can tell you ''I love it"

Ad :2tsup:

artme
13th April 2008, 09:49 PM
A great piece of work Jim!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th April 2008, 10:19 PM
You wanna watch out for them grubs. Once they get into their teens there's no controlling 'em... :roll:

dlim2986
13th April 2008, 10:21 PM
I never knew privot could get so big.

The Brits imported the plants so they could plant their hedges just like back home.

powderpost
13th April 2008, 10:22 PM
Been there done that, got two grubs now in their thirties.... :U It is the termite training that is worse even.... :)
Jim

powderpost
13th April 2008, 10:28 PM
This tree was about 400mm through. Was told by a botanist that when the tree is knocked down with a dozer, the mayor roots must be ripped up too as they will send up suckers. Pretty nasty bit of goods. The timber work well and has a tight grain.
Jim

thefixer
13th April 2008, 10:52 PM
I never knew privot could get so big.

The Brits imported the plants so they could plant their hedges just like back home.

Bloody privots; I got eight of em across the back yard. Must be at least 35 feet high each. I thought the wood in them was boring so I have left them. SWMBO said she wants them cut down and I have been putting it off for ages. Guess what? They're gunna hit the deck very soon after seeing this thread:D

Cheers
Shorty

BernieP
13th April 2008, 11:17 PM
G'Day Jim

Love something different, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Bernie

tea lady
13th April 2008, 11:24 PM
Privet wasn't just for hedges. Botanist friend said that they (who ever they are:rolleyes:) use to graft fruit trees onto privet. we've got a line of them out the back because after Ash Wednesday fires went through and burnt the fruit trees off the privet regenerated. Might explain why you have a line of them Shorty. Left over from an orchard perhaps?

thefixer
13th April 2008, 11:34 PM
Privet wasn't just for hedges. Botanist friend said that they (who ever they are:rolleyes:) use to graft fruit trees onto privet. we've got a line of them out the back because after Ash Wednesday fires went through and burnt the fruit trees off the privet regenerated. Might explain why you have a line of them Shorty. Left over from an orchard perhaps?

G'day Tea Lady

Not left over from an orchard, just planted by some #%&*head who thought he was Don Burke. I'm just down the road from you, not many orchards in Berwick:rolleyes:

Cheers
Shorty

OGYT
14th April 2008, 07:33 AM
Tea Lady: Botanist friend said that they (who ever they are:rolleyes:) use to graft fruit trees onto privet.
Ah, yes... the olde Bureau of They... guilty of all manner of wrongs to mankind, they are. :D

dlim2986
14th April 2008, 08:35 AM
G'day Tea Lady

Not left over from an orchard, just planted by some #%&*head who thought he was Don Burke. I'm just down the road from you, not many orchards in Berwick:rolleyes:

Cheers
Shorty

Must be similar to bamboo. I killed about 30m2 of bamboo. Just cut it down with a chainsaw, get rid of the majority of it and keep hitting it with roundup every month for the next 5 years. Roundup, I love the stuff.

Andy Mac
14th April 2008, 09:54 AM
Very nice work Powderpost! :2tsup: I like the contrast between the two timbers. How did the privet season, any splits?
Privet and camphor laurel are 2 major pest tress around Toowoomba as well, and some of the privet would exceed 400mm diameter. I have used branches a fair bit for stick furniture, peels well and very strong, resilient stuff.

Thanks for posting!

tea lady
14th April 2008, 01:57 PM
Very nice work Powderpost! :2tsup: I like the contrast between the two timbers. How did the privet season, any splits?
Privet and camphor laurel are 2 major pest tress around Toowoomba as well, and some of the privet would exceed 400mm diameter. I have used branches a fair bit for stick furniture, peels well and very strong, resilient stuff.

Thanks for posting!

AH! Stick furniture. Been wanting to have a go at that. Going towards privet with saw as we speak.:D

mick61
14th April 2008, 04:22 PM
Nice work
Mick:D

hughie
19th April 2008, 11:39 AM
its da heat, it thins out the da water too much in Queensland. Need thicker water. :U:U:U