PDA

View Full Version : grass tree

Elbow
14th April 2008, 10:03 PM
A mate of mine returned home from Perth and brought back a dead blackboy (politically correct name grass tree) I didn't want to paint it orange and put it in my driveway so I thought I'd try a lamp stand. <O:p</O:p
It seemed really hard but when turning couldn't get nice curls, very fibrous. I was surprised as the internal part was quite yellowish with a snakelike finish.

ss_11000
15th April 2008, 01:27 AM
nice work mate:2tsup:

artme
15th April 2008, 06:36 AM
Looks good!:2tsup::2tsup:
Hope you took all the precautions possible with dust. One of the most carcenogenic plants known.:o

Hickory
15th April 2008, 07:55 AM
A mate of mine returned home from Perth and brought back a dead blackboy (politically correct name grass tree) I didn't want to paint it orange and put it in my driveway so I thought I'd try a lamp stand. <O:p</O:p
It seemed really hard but when turning couldn't get nice curls, very fibrous. I was surprised as the internal part was quite yellowish with a snakelike finish.

You guy's different woods really intrigue me, so I did some research.... http://www.pawlan.com/Monica/xanthor/index.html Xanthorrhoea by species... Perhaps you should call it Balga Grass then only Aborigines would be politically offended.

From what I read, it would appear that the slow growing to produce a trunk would date your piece as quite old.

Thanks for posting and introducing this Yank to yet another wonderful Aussy wood. :2tsup: