PDA

View Full Version : MC1100 capacitor need advice

killerbeast
15th April 2008, 04:09 AM
Im in need of advice! i think my condensator/capasitor is defect... the lathe almost needs a push to get started and im not able to make anything other than light cuts.

I have an 20uF 450V capasitor Would it be ok to use that insted of the 16uF 450 thats installed now?

And would there be any gain i doing so ??

BobL
15th April 2008, 06:39 AM
Im in need of advice! i think my condensator/capasitor is defect... the lathe almost needs a push to get started and im not able to make anything other than light cuts.

I have an 20uF 450V capasitor Would it be ok to use that insted of the 16uF 450 thats installed now?

And would there be any gain i doing so ??

You should be OK as most capacitors are only made to a 20% tolerance anyway. 20uF +/- 20% could be as low as 16uF and the 16 +/- 20% could be as high a 19.2uF.

You won't notice anything in performance as they are just used to start the motor.

Cheers

killerbeast
15th April 2008, 04:11 PM
thank you BobL :-)

wheelinround
15th April 2008, 04:13 PM
Killer could you post pic of your MC1100

just curious re this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=719891#post719891

killerbeast
15th April 2008, 04:29 PM
Shure :-) I have this one .. what are you looking for ??

It is the MC1100 no doubt about it... And im sick and tired of it.. itīs sloppy loos tailstok needs rebuilding... it slides all over the place...

Have not decided exactly witch one i want... Have been looking allot at the PowerMatic 3520 B (sold as Jet 3520 B i europe) .... Well i know you guys are fans of the Vimarcīs ... witch one coresponds to the 3520 ??

BernieP
15th April 2008, 07:07 PM
G'Day Rasmus

I note your speed handle is on full and lathe not running, then realised you didn't get a handbook, must turn back to low speed before switching off or takes a lot of help to get going again. Try that and probably may not need a capicator.
Also have find mine performs better with head mounted over legs, seems to sit more stable. With the tailstock the little handle they put on it to tighten to ways needs enlarging so you can get a better tug on tightening it.

Cheers
Bernie

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2008, 07:16 PM
If you can get it running by pushing it, and its slowing down when cutting, it sounds more like the belt is slipping then the CAP. The CAP is only there to start it spinning, once its spinning the CAP shuts off.

I'd be checking that your pulleys are moving freely and gripping the belt before you do anything, my old one did this quite often.

BobL
15th April 2008, 08:00 PM
If you can get it running by pushing it, and its slowing down when cutting, it sounds more like the belt is slipping then the CAP. The CAP is only there to start it spinning, once its spinning the CAP shuts off.

I'd be checking that your pulleys are moving freely and gripping the belt before you do anything, my old one did this quite often.

Another possibility is that, if in the past the motor has been placed under load so that it was continually being slowed down to the point where the starting capacitor needed to kick in to keep the thing running, this can eventually fry your starting cap. If you get used to operating in this way (blunt tools etc) then your motor is always sitting on the overload point where the starting cap activates in-out and after a while, no wonder it fails. This happened to me on my table saw a while back - trying to slice up too much raspberry jam wood!

killerbeast
15th April 2008, 08:09 PM
it was an old pic... i usually always slow down to zero before shutting off..

And thankīs for all the good advice :-) But i have come to the decision to buy something bigger and better.. my tailstock on the 1100 is so lose that most work ends up off center... moves front and back 2-3 mm ..... i could use a lot of time trying to fix it but i havent got the time or the skills and i would MUCH rather be making shavings than fixing machines :-)

I will be keeping the 1100 wihle i save up the courage to tell SHMBO that im spending ALOT of money on a bigger better lathe,....

wheelinround
16th April 2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks Rasmus for the photo seems the model MC1000 MC1100 are worlds apart

killerbeast
16th April 2008, 05:03 PM
Yep the MC1000 can also be found in denmark but itīs not worth anything.. I had to change the capasitor Again yesterday... and lost a pen and a bowl du to the bad machining of my lathe.. grrrrrr have begun saving for a new and bigger lathe... now all i need is to convice SHMBO that i need to spend the 25.000,- dkr on a new lathe...

hughie
16th April 2008, 08:27 PM
It is the MC1100 no doubt about it... And im sick and tired of it.. itīs sloppy loos tailstok needs rebuilding... it slides all over the place...

Rasmus,

:U Yup its definitley a MC1100, Got one in the shed........muchly modifed

killerbeast
16th April 2008, 08:59 PM
hugie : Yes i know you guyes do lost of mods, but i just havent got the time or want to do that... i would cost me more in terms of buying parts, taking the time to do... than just buying my way out of the issu...

The most expensive part will be convincing the misses that i need to buy it :-)

Claw Hama
16th April 2008, 10:05 PM
Rasmus, have you tried tightening the nut under the tailstock? You can adjust it tighter or looser so the quick release lever bites in more. Usually only needs 1/4 to 1/2 turn with your fingers.