PDA

View Full Version : Female Timber Cutter

LogDog
15th April 2008, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone, I am a female timber cutter in Far North Queensland. I have been doing this for just on 3 years. I use a Lucas Mill and Sambron 4wd forklift. I cut mostly for myself but occasionally for others who need their logs milled. I have a male business partner who is also crazy about cutting timber. Up here we cut the most amazing logs and every log is like cutting open a gemstone. I wonder if there are many other female timbercutters in the world? Or am I a rareity. One day soon I will start to work with my mountain of cabinet timbers and would love to connect with some other women who get into fine timbers too. I live on a large Cattle station near Mount Garnet and would like to meet some other wood women. I am coming to the sunshine coast for the Maleny wood expo, Cooroora wood and craft show and the Brisbane working with wood show, I am hoping to sell some timber to help fund my future in furniture making. Maybe I will see you there, or just email me if you can't make the shows and want to chat.
Cheers!:B

RufflyRustic
15th April 2008, 04:46 PM
Hi and a Big Wecome Ms LogDog!!! :D:2tsup::D

It's exciting to hear what you do and how much you enjoy it!

Sorry, I'm no timber cutter myself, more of an avid wood listener who enjoys building boxes, cabinets and the like from timber, all sorts of timber, though at present, I'm having a bit of fun with birdseye pine.

So, you'll be at the Brisbane Wood Show. Fantastic! I'll be there too. Would love to meet up:)

Cheers for now.

The other Wood Whispering Women will be around soon too :U
cheers
Wendy

Ivan in Oz
15th April 2008, 05:11 PM
G'Day LogDog,

Welcome aboard, Gal.

Wendy [I believe] didn't quite tell you all.....
She and I and a WHOLE lot of others had a Woodworking GTG at Nerang
[Where we DIDN'T get lost:p:B well not more than once:- ]

At the Get To Gether,
we had a Log Slabbing Demonstration....Very Interesting and GOOD:2tsup:

It was on the footpath,
and only ONE Neighbour took exception to it.
Gave most of us an insight into Timber Cutting........Ta again Ppl:D

My 16YO Son went Timber Cutting with his Uncle over the School Hols.
NOW!!
He enjoys woodworking after being Oh! So Boored with it. Go figure????
Like you, His Uncle also has a 'Lucas Mill'

I hope to get to the Wood Show at Bris.

If so, might see you there.

Oh??
Your Name; LogDog,
Shouldn't it be Log B.... Nah! Won't go there yet:;

Sorry Gals:~ I shouldn't have:no::no:

Incoming!
15th April 2008, 05:35 PM
Welcome LogDog! Good to have you here. Yep, will probably catch up with you at the Brisbane WWW show. Will you have a stand at the show, or are you going to sell your timber through word of mouth?

tea lady
15th April 2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Logdog. I am nearly the other end of the country to you but still good to here what people are doing every where. Welcome to the forum.:D

kekemo
15th April 2008, 09:43 PM
.........Hello LOGDOG....Big hi.....Oh boy..... do I wish you were closer.....
I love making furniture.........don't get me started I will talk for hours
about furniture....replica....county cottage stuff.....

Looking forward to your post's....keep in contact....I feel little off colour today...been four days & I haven't been in the shed.....only thing that comes before wood.... is my kids....LOL....& their all over 27....but still that's all I have left...they are my world....woodwork is my therapy....& my passion.....lost the love of my life to cancer.....my woodwork keeps me sane....LOL...some people would say that's debatable ........?????

Hope you like the pictures on my woodsite....go into Pictures there are about 60-80 photo's of furniture....mostly my stuff using "encasement technique"....
....welcome aboard.... from KEKEMO

flynnsart
15th April 2008, 10:06 PM
Hi there, welcome to the forum. Hope to be at the wood show in brisbane all going well.

Donna

Burnsy
15th April 2008, 10:14 PM
I am trespassing here :D but......................... welcome logdog, would be great to see some pictures of your milling in the timber milling section.

In answer to you question regarding other female millers, Westford Mills had a female operating one of their chainsaw mills at the WA Woodworking Expo last year.

Cheers,
Mike

LogDog
28th April 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome every one:B I have been offline for a while because I am not at home but Have followed my timber down to Woodford on the Sunshine coast. I am glad that you will all be going to at least the Brisbane Working with wood show. Yes I will have a site there in the outdoor/undercover area. It will be great! I just bought a drum sander from Carba-Tec and they were so helpful.That place is a woodies heaven.
It is so refreshing to hear of you lovley ladies doing such creative work and loving it. Keep it up. Till next time. Your new friend.:U
LogDog

Incoming!
28th April 2008, 05:37 PM
Was wondering where you'd got to. Female timber cutter has got to be one of the rarest occupations in the world. You've completely changed my perceptions of the "Lumberjack Song" by Monty Python. I used to get a chuckle out of the line ".. and put on women's clothing and hang around in bars".

Now it seems perfectly normal!

SAISAY
15th May 2008, 08:44 AM
Hiya there LogDog.
Just landed here.
I am in Tully Heads, 15 k from Tully the wettest place in Australia, even though we lost the golden gumboot to Babinda by a few millimetres this year. We still have the record for the highest rainfall ever.
Anyways, I haven't graduated to furniture as yet but am busy building a new kitchen and have just taught myself how to make doors.
We just had a white apple tree cut down and slabbed, it was very interesting to watch but THE NOISE :oo:
The slabs are now sitting in my backyard waiting to graduate into useable timber.
I have a few slabs of milky pine screamimg to be used for something once we have finished the kitchen.
Lots of trees to cut up here but most farmers have their own mills.
Would love to wander your way one day and see what you have to sell.
Cheers
Wolffie

clare
24th May 2008, 06:45 PM
Hello LogDog,
Only just seen your post, but welcome anyway.
Your work sounds brilliant.
Clare.

Allan at Wallan
11th June 2008, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the Forums Log Dog.

It is a fantastic site to visit once or twice or
ten times each day. Always something new and
informative and a great bunch of woodworkers.

A couple of weeks ago at my son's bbq lunch
I met a young lady and she is a "tree lopper".
Cant say I have met any other females in that
occupation but I nearly cried when she told me
of some trees that go straight through the chipper.

Allan

You can't teach an old mouse new clicks.

LogDog
3rd April 2009, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone, I have only just surfaced again, the rains up North were drowning me.
I decided to sell the mill and forklift and return to brighter weather on the sunshine coast but have'nt seen too much sunshine yet. Wow what a year it has been, I have managed to bring down 3 semi trailers of my precious timber (Queensland Maple)
and have it stored at my parents place. Lucky they are on acerage:doh:
However because I brought the rain and cyclones down with me I am looking for a BIG shed to put it all in.:2tsup: Know anyone with a Big shed on the Sunshine Coast?

I am also looking for talanted woodturners and carvers to make some items for me to display around the world. I will have some things made for the Maleny Wood Expo to display at the indoor stand and there will be copious amounts of timber for sale down in the cattle stalls. I have seen some really good work on this forum and If you are interested in doing some contract turning on the prettiest timber in the world and can keep it world class please contact me.

prozac
19th April 2009, 11:06 PM
Welcome back Laura.

Claw Hama
19th April 2009, 11:24 PM
Laura, we still need to see some photos of your sumptuous slabs girl, get the camera happening.

LogDog
15th May 2009, 01:13 PM
I found my big shed:D It is in the Industrial estate at Woodford (14 Chambers Rd.) on the Sunshine Coast. It has been a massive effort moving from mum and dads to the new shed but the last ute load went in today. That is 60t Mapleman and I have moved by hand and ute in the last few months. I need a badge and a holiday.:ohyaaa:
Can't stop now! We will be at the Brisbane Working With Wood Show again this year. With a stand of finished products and one with raw timber for sale.
Mostly Queensland Maple or Maple Silkwood.

The whole timber milling process was with whe woodturners and carvers in mind because there are not many people cutting for the hobbyists. The stock that we will have this year will blow minds, so don't forget to tell your friends.

If you want some photos check out MAPLEMAN's album, we did this together.
I have really enjoyed this leg of the timber salvaging process, this is where it gets made into beautiful things for all to enjoy and drool over!
Cheers!
Laura Lou

tea lady
15th May 2009, 03:35 PM
:oo: :drool: I think I need some of that to give me a break from Blackwood. :cool:

Claw Hama
15th May 2009, 06:34 PM
Sweet, very sweet, wouldn't mind a bit of that to play with.