PDA

View Full Version : Cheap chisels

Frank&Earnest
16th April 2008, 09:54 AM
Having taken my beloved shopping for gardening items at Stratco, yesterday I saw a shiny wooden box with 6 large turning chisels - Medalist brand, discontinued item, going for $48.99 - so I bought them on impulse, just to reward myself for being there. :D

I thought that at that price they would be good even as wall decoration, and I have not tried them yet. I googled it though and Just Tools sells them for $137, the price of just one good gouge.

My question to the learned members is: is the difference between good and bad chisels only the ability to hold an edge, so that bad ones need to be sharpened more frequently and therefore do not last long (which is what I have always thought), or is there some other reason that makes lesser quality chisels not worth buying at any price? (besides of course holding the edge so badly that they are virtually always blunt).

artme
16th April 2008, 06:32 PM
You are basically on the money F&E. Some people prefer a particula gouge because of its flute design. I have a friend for instance who will onl buy and use Henry Taylor bowl gouges. Hes has his own particular grind that he maintains works on no other bowl gouge.
The only other thing people seem to reall care about is the handle length and design.

orraloon
16th April 2008, 06:53 PM
As long as they are HSS they will not be too bad. Perhaps not up there with the best but still quite usable. If need be make replacement handles. That is what turning is about. They are also good to experement with grinding cutter
profiles to suit your requirements like one of a kind jobs or just to try out an idea. At that price you can afford to grind a bit of steel.

Regards
JA

Frank&Earnest
16th April 2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Artme and JA, it seems common sense, but I have been known to be wrong occasionally...:D

jimbur
16th April 2008, 06:58 PM
Couldn't resist sharing this. Are you sure they are turning chisels?

NATIONWIDE RECALL OF MEDALIST BRAND PIG EAR PET TREATS DUE TO POSSIBLE SALMONELLA CONTAMINATION.

Jim :U

Frank&Earnest
16th April 2008, 07:01 PM
Well, they would be very keen ears...:U

funkychicken
16th April 2008, 09:21 PM
The difference is steel quality (hard wearingness, weight), Handles (Length, Weight), Ferrules (Good chisels had brass ferrules, pinned ones are best)

The biggest thing you notice is the quality of the steel