PDA

View Full Version : Lathe wood find

Hickory
16th April 2008, 12:23 PM
Got this on going project, rebuilding an antique Model T towncar
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1030193.jpg
when I needed a couple pieces of Maple. So from my stash I pulled a 4X4 and cut it on the RAS. I had seen the worm holes but didn't know what would be inside...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1030192.jpg
I think these need some special lathe treatment rather than car body, Off to go find some more Maple.

Ambrosia Maple, Big Leaf Maples get infested by Ambrosia worm that carries a fungus on its back to feed the larva from the eggs it lays, the results are quite stunning figures in the wood (not as figurative as Aussy wood but a great leap from normal mundane Maple)

wheelinround
16th April 2008, 01:10 PM
Hope you don't mind I did a little work on the pic

WOW :o OMG to both the car and the wood

Ray

please more photo's of the car :2tsup:

Hickory
16th April 2008, 01:21 PM
Wonder which way to mount the wood to get the best effect from the rays that seem to radiate from the core. End Grain like a box or on the side (which side?) hopefully it is through out and not located merely in the cut.

As for the car, I got a load of pictures and am compiling a site with them, when done I will post the site. :2tsup: Here is a beginning... http://groups.msn.com/HickoryNeedIsaymore/modelttowncar.msnw?Page=Last ...More to follow

wheelinround
16th April 2008, 05:04 PM
Hickory sorry took so long to get back FiL in a bad state just returned from Dr's with LOML.

TY for the link will keep an eye on it :D

The pattern I would thing may spread further through not sure how far
I would do a cut about 1inch to 2 inches slices across and rotate to join the star shape either then a turned surface bowl shallow or a box lid. 4x4x4x4 nice size surface to use then.:2tsup:

If it goes deeper :rolleyes:

Ray

artme
16th April 2008, 06:26 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: It's an ill wind.....

wheelinround
17th April 2008, 09:35 AM
would be nice to see such as this come of your find Hickory :U

Zarguld
17th April 2008, 10:59 AM
Wheelin has the right idea cut it into four and glue them back to back like a sun and yourself a nice show piece bowl.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:.

oh and the car looks awesome too.

hughie
18th April 2008, 05:00 PM
nice find, always on the look out myself. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th April 2008, 08:10 PM
I want! :U I keep coming back to this thread and drooling.

I think that what I'd do, with one section at least. is square up a length and then dock off four of cubes. Each cube I'd cut on the diagonal. from two diametrically opposite points - one being at the middle of the "sunburst," resulting in two sets of four matched pyramidal sorta things. Each set I'd glue together into a larger pyramid, and then the two pyramids together at the bases. (Waddya mean "Huh?" I know what I'm on about and that's all that matters. :p)

That'd make for an amazing hollow form bowl...

...assuming that the pattern follows all the way through the grain and not just that localised section, of course.