PDA

View Full Version : A Vase and a Bowl

joe greiner
18th April 2008, 06:10 AM
I turned a cherry vase on Tuesday and Wednesday, and a viburnum bowl on Wednesday. These are 80th birthday gifts for an aunt and uncle (unrelated except by marriage to my direct uncle and aunt, respectively). Her birthday party is Saturday 19 Apr, and his is Sunday 20 Apr, so I dare not dawdle.

The vase is 3 7/8" (97mm) diameter x 8 1/2" (210mm) high. I missed gifting her husband's 80th last October, so this is also a joint gift. I added three captive rings to allow for an oops (which didn't occur for some reason), and at the end snipped the supernumerary - an agonising choice, but the design called for only two rings: His 'n' Hers, their two offspring, or whatever significance they want. And absent other specific signifance, Feng Shui says pairs of things are better than singles or triples anyway. I used an empty Rolaids jar for a waterproof insert; just the right size and HDPE is easy to trim to size.

Up until now, I've left pieces with captive rings either unfinished, or waxed by hand on and off the lathe. For the present effort, I tried a quick and not-quite-dirty expedient for spray finishing. I mounted the vase on a rotisserie drive (5 rpm), and formed some insulated wire fingers to urge the rings away from each other and the vase bowl and foot. The fingers are well clear of everything, to avoid their own marks and to allow the rings to drift. The fingers also have a drip curve, so that excess coating falls to the newspaper below. The rings swab the stem as the process proceeds, but left surprisingly little evidence. The finish is clear semi-gloss polyurethane, about 10 coats in close succession over about 4 hours to avoid sanding, then left the rotisserie running overnight. Satin might have worked better; gloss probably worse, but lacquer would have allowed subsequent polishing. (Minwax is silent about polishing PU.) There's more than one way to skin a cat, so I'd welcome other ideas.

The viburnum came from a shrub I cut down a few months ago. The trunk has a bizarre cross section. Another blank shown here is one of the more orderly ones. The lump at hand suggested a natural edge. I reinforced the bark with some CA dribbled onto it and rubbed dry with a paper towel. Some of the CA soaked into the sapwood, which I more or less ignored. I'll claim that the darker spots add "character." The bowl is 4 1/4" (110mm) diameter x 2 3/4" (65mm) high, finished with paste wax on the lathe. I considered CA for an overall finish, but the wood is still somewhat green.

Joe

artme
18th April 2008, 07:35 AM
Great turning Joe!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Love the lines and colouring of both pieces but the viburnum bowl is particularly nice.

Ad de Crom
18th April 2008, 08:33 AM
Joe, what a very nice gifts for your aunt and uncle.
The cherry vase with the captured rings came out very well, and sofar as I can see without any crack, had you luck, or had you it in store for a long time.(cherry cracks so easely) The viburnum bowl has an attractive shape, unknown woodspieces for me, I guess this woodspieces grows in South America, right?
Nice description about the treatment of the vase.
Great work. Ad :2tsup:

cedar n silky
18th April 2008, 09:13 AM
Nice work Joe, and the natural edge bowl is lovely!:2tsup:

wheelinround
18th April 2008, 12:21 PM
Top idea with the finishing of the rings well done

Love the bowl

I have yet to attempt a captured ring anything.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th April 2008, 07:07 PM
Nicely done. Rings are always such a pain to finish, aren't they?

I usually finish mine with Shellawax, mainly 'cos I've worked out a simple method that works for it (being a friction polish), whereas any other finish becomes... complicated.

OGYT
19th April 2008, 04:30 AM
Nice Birthday pieces, Joe. Rings are a pain to finish.

Hardenfast
19th April 2008, 09:44 AM
Most excellent Joe, but just too damn daunting for trainees like myself to at this stage.

Captive rings, you say? Methinks a few WIP series may be in order here, or perhaps for the next one.

Wayne

joe greiner
20th April 2008, 09:22 PM
Hello, mates. Thanks for your remarks.

Ad, the blank for the vase came from a log about 250mm diameter. The cracks were on either side of the blank. I split the log with a wedge, so cracks didn't intersect the piece. The viburnum came from my back yard. I think they're an ornamental shrub here. They grow almost like weeds in this climate.

Wayne, try Googling [woodturning "captive ring"] for some likely procedures. I'm pretty sure they've been mentioned on the forum, so maybe just "captive ring" in the Google search on the bottom of the page.

I'm on the road, and using unfamiliar computers, or I'd write a bit more.

Joe

Mobil Man
21st April 2008, 02:15 AM
Hardenfast-- You could go to "woodturningonline.com" to their "projects" & it shows the how-to on a captive ring. I know I've seen a video on this somewhere but can't remember where. That site has a lot of interesting projects. It can be done with a Skew but I've got the 3/8 CR tool.