PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow and Bunya

Little Festo
20th April 2008, 08:59 AM
Hello All,

Went to start turning this lump of Bunya yesterday dut was greeted with this stie outside the workshop door. Had to take a photo and share the site with my fellow woodturners, make you glad you are alive, also a photo of the Bunya on the lathe - will be an end-grain pot/bowl.

Peter

wheelinround
20th April 2008, 09:20 AM
Life throws things at you like that makes feel good

Now hope the Bunya doesnt throw something at ya

Thats one big piece of wood

don't forget the progress shots.

Barry Hicks
20th April 2008, 09:33 AM
That's a scary lump of wood LF.

artme
20th April 2008, 09:52 AM
Skite, on both counts!:p:p:p
What lathe ya got there?

JackoH
20th April 2008, 10:12 AM
Lovely Rainbow. Great lump of wood, and a bloody marvelous beer fridge in the background!

Sawdust Maker
20th April 2008, 12:51 PM
No eye protection or are you wearing contacts? :D
I'd be looking at ned kelly's headpiece for a hunk of timber that big:!
nice view, makes us city dwellers jealous:rolleyes:

WOODbTURNER
20th April 2008, 01:53 PM
Peter,
No safety gear Pete!! You won't be able to enjoy your nice views if you cop s..t in your eyes. (Just joking mate)
We made it back to Trevor's place after our visit. He took a wrong turn and we were heading to Coloundra instead of Maryborough. He tried to blame it on the GPS. Ian was quite impressed with your setup.
Anyway thanks again for you and yours hospitality especially Heilke's (close ?) muffins.
Cheers
Jeff

OGYT
20th April 2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for posting, Peter. That rainbow is gorgeous... and so is that chunk of timber! If I remember right, I thought you had VL300 and a very large, very old, nicely restored, Lathe... was it an Oliver? A General? Just guessing, now. Hard time recalling some thing from so many different lands!!
Be sure to show us the Bunya when it's done. :U

Dennis Millard
20th April 2008, 05:46 PM
Hello All,

Went to start turning this lump of Bunya yesterday dut was greeted with this stie outside the workshop door. Had to take a photo and share the site with my fellow woodturners, make you glad you are alive, also a photo of the Bunya on the lathe - will be an end-grain pot/bowl.

Peter

Beauty! I took this a couple of years ago from my back door. Like you, I went out and it topok me by surprise.

Little Festo
21st April 2008, 08:14 AM
Peter,
No safety gear Pete!! You won't be able to enjoy your nice views if you cop s..t in your eyes. (Just joking mate)
We made it back to Trevor's place after our visit. He took a wrong turn and we were heading to Coloundra instead of Maryborough. He tried to blame it on the GPS. Ian was quite impressed with your setup.
Anyway thanks again for you and yours hospitality especially Heilke's (close ?) muffins.
Cheers
Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Must admit the lack of safety gear is not a good look, but I did have that bit of wood very firmly attached to the lathe and the speed was low. It was really out of balance, a lot of the moisture seemed to have settled in one half of the log, must have settled as the log was lying on the ground (????) If it came off I don't think that a face shield would help much. I had to change the belt around to the slowest speed, even the 400KG+ stubby rocked about a bit on the "normal" drive setting. I used Enzo's deep hollower for the last bit when the gouge was "too unsupported". It worked really well.

It was great to catch up, always good to see the boys from the "North". One of the guys from the Woodworking club here is making a timber board up to put up on the wall in the club house and is after some small timber samples, about 120mm X 50mm, can you or Ian Mac help with some samples??

OGYT said:
"Thanks for posting, Peter. That rainbow is gorgeous... and so is that chunk of timber! If I remember right, I thought you had VL300 and a very large, very old, nicely restored, Lathe... was it an Oliver? A General? Just guessing, now. Hard time recalling some thing from so many different lands!!
Be sure to show us the Bunya when it's done. :U"

OGYT,

I'm very lucky to be living in such a lovely area, the workshop is a great place to work, just very fortunate.

I had a VL300 but the wife has taken possession of it now and it sits in "HER" corner of the workshop, if I use it now I have to explain. She bought me a Stubby 1000. A local guy gave me the wood, three large chunks, and wants some large bowls/pots, hence the big pieces. Also scored two smaller Bunyas from my nieghbour, it turns really well, good for thin walled vessels.

Finished roughing the piece yesterday will post a pic later. Oh, I have to say that I am very safety conscious, always exercise care.

Peter

WOODbTURNER
21st April 2008, 12:42 PM
It was great to catch up, always good to see the boys from the "North". One of the guys from the Woodworking club here is making a timber board up to put up on the wall in the club house and is after some small timber samples, about 120mm X 50mm, can you or Ian Mac help with some samples??

Peter,

Ian Mac would be better to help out. He made up a sample pack for someone in Canada (?) a few weeks ago. Give him a call. Nothing like passing the buck eh!
Cheers
Jeff