PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Aluminium Handle

WOODbTURNER
21st April 2008, 02:06 PM
Was about to chuck out a busted ladder when I came up with this.
I cut off a rung which is 330mm x 25mmID. At the gouge end I cut off the flange and epoxied a 25mm Dia x 70mm hardwood plug with a 5/8" hole drilled for the 5/8" Superflute which was also epoxied.
The balance is just right for me but handle can be weighted with the usual lead shot or timber bung. The grooves in the rung give a good feel and grip.
Beats paying $70+ for a fancy ready made aluminium handle.
Sorry about photo quality.

Cheers
http://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/attach/jpg.gif

Tiger
21st April 2008, 02:34 PM
Good idea, now I need a ladder to cannibalise.

Rookie
21st April 2008, 03:25 PM
Well WOODb's got a whole busted ladder. I'm sure he can provide you one of the remaining rungs for... ooh... maybe 70 odd bucks. :roll:

WOODbTURNER
21st April 2008, 04:00 PM
Well WOODb's got a whole busted ladder. I'm sure he can provide you one of the remaining rungs for... ooh... maybe 70 odd bucks. :roll:

No worries mate as long as he pays the postage from Darwin. It might be cheaper to pay $70 though!!

hughie
21st April 2008, 04:16 PM
excellent idea :2tsup:

orraloon
21st April 2008, 04:36 PM
The green gods of recycling will surely smile on you. Good idea. With the cold weather down here I will stick to wood handles but ideal for up you'r way.

Regards
John

RETIRED
21st April 2008, 06:41 PM
The green gods of recycling will surely smile on you. Good idea. With the cold weather down here I will stick to wood handles but ideal for up you'r way.

Regards
JohnUnless you leave it in the sun.:D:wink:

TTIT
21st April 2008, 11:36 PM
So much for throwing out that crumbling old fibreglass sided thing of mine now - looks like I'll be cutting it up first. Hmmmm - ten rungs - full set there :U:U:U

OGYT
22nd April 2008, 01:19 PM
WbT, very novel idea! Looks nice, too! Bet it handles well... pun or not. :U

Rum Pig
22nd April 2008, 02:04 PM
great idea I hate throwing things out like that you never know when you can use it. Just need to wait till my ladder brakes.:2tsup:

Cheers Justin:drink2:

rsser
22nd April 2008, 05:15 PM
Nifty.

Fredo
22nd April 2008, 06:24 PM
Great idea WOODb, inventive

Fredo

rodent
3rd May 2008, 01:15 AM
If my ladder breaks ill probably be up the top 5 meters or so.

wtrueman
3rd May 2008, 02:29 AM
For what it's worth, I took apart an old shock absorber, slid the "post" down the sleeve and welded it there. The "post shaft" is, for me, pretty strong, sharpens well and I have used it as a round nosed chisel on the lathe. Further explanation: I removed the outside part of the shock and drained the fluid first. Wayne.