PDA

View Full Version : el cheapo tool rest

hughie
22nd April 2008, 04:43 PM
I was messing around in the welding bay with some scrap and come up with the idea of fabricating my small right angle tool rest out of scrap flat bar, instead of the usual 25mm round bar or hefty flat bar

The idea was to see if it would work and to produce a low cost tool rest.
Have yet to attach the pin, but holding it in the vice and giving a good whacking with the hammer , It turns out to be very solid and very stiff. But if I drop it on the concrete floor it gives off the characteristic dull thud of Cast-iron, not the normal ringing sound of solid steel. So I am anticipating it will have similar vibration absorbing characteristic's of Cast iron

Its made from two pieces of 50x5mm flat bar over lapped about 25% and stitch welded. The bend came later in the press and gives all the appearance of being as good as any solid bar. But at a lower cost and much easier to work with in regard to bent and curved tool rests.

wheelinround
22nd April 2008, 04:47 PM
Hughie
In the process of making a cheaper one I picked up 2 $2 gate drop pins from discount bargain store this gives you the 90 deg just cut to length and add a post a good solid bolt will do the trick of size dia of your banjo hole :2tsup:

bowl-basher
22nd April 2008, 06:44 PM
Hughie
That looks good
I had a lump of angle iron that made a great corner rest and am working on an "S" shaped rest from a bit of 3/4 round bar I just have to work out how to bend it:C

hughie
23rd April 2008, 05:01 PM
I had a lump of angle iron that made a great corner rest and am working on an "S" shaped rest from a bit of 3/4 round bar I just have to work out how to bend it

Bowlbasher,

:U I did not have any large angle iron so just started playing around with what I had.

As to bending, I bent mine in a 20tonne press as I dont have enough heat to bend it otherwise.

artme
23rd April 2008, 07:28 PM
Some good ideas here! Keep 'em coming!

BobL
23rd April 2008, 10:51 PM
My home made tools rests including a right angle jobbie made from angle iron are posted here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=67474) - in case you didn't see them.

In the same thread I also posted some nova jaw chucks I turned up on the metal late at work.

hughie
24th April 2008, 04:49 PM
My home made tools rests including a right angle jobbie made from angle iron are posted here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=67474) - in case you didn't see them.

In the same thread I also posted some nova jaw chucks I turned up on the metal late at work.
[/quote]

BobL,

Nice job on the tool rests. :2tsup: very professional. I am real interested in your jaws. It passed through my thoughts a few times, but nah, couldn't get the interest up to do it.

Wheelin'

Good pick up, would never have thought of it myself.