PDA

View Full Version : Two days work

powderpost
23rd April 2008, 05:58 PM
Another deep hollowing out of privet. This one is 220mm high and 95mm diameter. Found a leaf in the bush house where the soft tissue of the leaf had decayed, leaving the 'ribs' exposed. Thought it looked so I tried to simulate the effect. Lost my nerve and left this one 2mm thick.
Jim

flynnsart
23rd April 2008, 06:04 PM
Lovely :2tsup:

Donna

Caveman
23rd April 2008, 06:42 PM
Lost my nerve and left this one 2mm thick.
Jim

:2tsup:Nice one Jim. How thin would you have gone if you hadn't lost your nerve:o - would have been nothing D.
What's the timber?

Still waiting on the chuck - starting to get a wee bit worried.

artme
23rd April 2008, 07:27 PM
Wow!!:2tsup::2tsup::clap::clap:

powderpost
23rd April 2008, 10:01 PM
Andy, the last one was 1mm thick and the timber is a weed called Privet.
Jim

coffenup
23rd April 2008, 10:02 PM
another master peice jim:hooray::hooray:
regards Michael

Fredo
23rd April 2008, 10:29 PM
Jim, I like everything about this piece. I love the pod-like form raised by the foot. The leaf seperation and piercing come together to produce a very artistic piece.

Excellent job,

Fredo :)

hughie
23rd April 2008, 10:33 PM
Jim,
A couple of questions, how did cut the lace work pattern? What did use to smooth out any imperfections if there were any .........:U

Otherwise an impressive effort

powderpost
23rd April 2008, 11:10 PM
Folks, thanks for the nice comments. The primary reason for posting is to open up possibilities.
Hughie, I bored a series of small holes and used a dentist burr to "grind" out the pattern. Some of the holes were one with a set of rifling files. Took a day and a half to complete the pattern. Final finishing was with 320# paper on a styrene block..... very carefully.
Jim

TTIT
23rd April 2008, 11:21 PM
Very nice indeed Jim :2tsup: Didn't know Privet grew to that size - or that it grew that far North!?!?

littlebuddha
24th April 2008, 12:11 AM
Very nice piece, nice to see a bit of piercing work, nice design, takes me a little longer to do does my hands in, got arthritis so slows me down some.
I also have never seen Privit that size here in the UK it surrounds a load of peoples gardens, we had it all around the home i had as a kid and never seen it anywhere nere to that sort of size. I take it you turned it green and friction dryed it, whats privit like to turn..LB

Speanwoody
24th April 2008, 08:21 AM
Really like it what lovely excellent work

Rum Pig
24th April 2008, 08:47 AM
That is one fine looking piece and it only took 2 days thats how long it takes me to turn a simple bowl:- Once again well done and the leaf inspiration really stands out I picked it before I read your blurb:2tsup:

Cheers Justin:drink2:

powderpost
24th April 2008, 09:05 AM
Little Buddha, The tree was cut down about 15 years ago and the pieces let dry for 15 years, only because I am slack... :), so it was turned dry. The timber is very pleasant to work and has a fine grain and cuts nicely.
Jim

littlebuddha
24th April 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks jim will have to look into finding some and see how it works, someone over here will be missing there hegde shortly:roll:Nice going down seen a few of your pieces know:2tsup:..LB

Zarguld
24th April 2008, 01:19 PM
That is a very inspiring piece of work and very natural looking I love it, thanks for sharing it I look forward to seeing more of you pieces.

BernieP
24th April 2008, 01:46 PM
G'Day Jim

Worth waiting to see, thanks for posting, always great to see something different.

Cheers
Bernie

lubbing5cherubs
24th April 2008, 06:51 PM
gorgeous just beutiful. I hope one day I can get to be even 1/2 the turner of you. I will be so happy
bye Toni

Little Festo
24th April 2008, 08:19 PM
Just did some clearing today and cut down two large Privits, approx 180mm in diameter at the base, my apprentice will be turning some tomorrow. It looks very interesting, very blonde and the grain looks quite tight, will post some pics. He came very early this morning to cut down the trees for the wood under the guise of helping clear a track through the lantana. It's amazing how big (for privets) the trees were. There are several other of similar size down in the gully. Must be the Queensland sunshine!!

Jim, great job, good to see something original.

ss_11000
26th April 2008, 12:33 AM
the word "awesome" comes to mind:cool2:

Hardenfast
26th April 2008, 11:31 AM
Very nice indeed Jim. As you say, something like this always opens up one's thought processes to what is possible. Many thanks for sharing.

One question - how did you carve the leaf outline in the solid timber? Just chiselled in by hand?

Wayne

powderpost
26th April 2008, 09:37 PM
Wayne,
You are right, the outline of the leaf on the bottom was carved by hand usin chip carving tools.
Jim