PDA

View Full Version : My first Bowl

BobL
23rd April 2008, 08:55 PM
. . . . well since high school days anyway. I made it as a going away present for a senior member of staff at work.

Sans- flash;
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71843&stc=1&d=1208944329

With flash:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71842&stc=1&d=1208944329

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71841&stc=1&d=1208944329

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71844&stc=1&d=1208944329

rsser
23rd April 2008, 08:58 PM
Nice work Bob.

Sheoak?

DJ’s Timber
23rd April 2008, 09:02 PM
Lovely work Bob :2tsup:

Calm
23rd April 2008, 09:06 PM
Very nice work bob:2tsup::2tsup:

BobL
23rd April 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks folks,

RE: rsser: Sheoak?
Yep, found a block on my firewood pile, had a few cracks but thought I'd take a practice run and see what I could get out of of it. Its about 260 mm in diameter.

Cheers

coffenup
23rd April 2008, 09:53 PM
lovely work mate keep going
regards michael

powderpost
23rd April 2008, 09:58 PM
Looks good, well done.
Jim

Sawdust Maker
23rd April 2008, 11:07 PM
the first?
well done, I like
obviously the first of many:2tsup:

TTIT
23rd April 2008, 11:14 PM
Watch the mill sit there and rust now you've got started Bob :; Great start - will be watching for more :U

BobL
23rd April 2008, 11:24 PM
Watch the mill sit there and rust now you've got started Bob :; Great start - will be watching for more :U

Nah . . . gotta get the wood from somewhere?? Have to admit, turning the end grain and watching them curlies fly of a sharp chisel is kind mesmerising. . . . .

I had the small mill in bits last weekend doing a bit of repairs for more milling fairly soon - BIL Mill is also partly in pieces awaiting a bit of a tidy up after a good work over last year.

Also just got a commission job from the boss at work to make a display cabinet for a cricket bat signed by a West Indian cricket team. Gonna have to do a good job on that one.

Caveman
23rd April 2008, 11:57 PM
Nice one Bob:2tsup: have always enjoyed turning grevillea.

artme
24th April 2008, 07:26 AM
Is very nifty indeed.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

At first glance I thought it was Grevillia but a second look realigned my opinion to a Cassarina of some sort.

Rum Pig
24th April 2008, 08:51 AM
Nice one looks good for your first :2tsup:

cheers Justin:drink2:

BobL
24th April 2008, 10:52 AM
Tis a "casuarina fraseriana" or WA sheoak. which according to one website "Until the advent of the aluminium cask it was a favoured species for beer barrels."!

Pops
24th April 2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Bob,

Does that mean we are likely to see some casuarina fraseriana beer barrels flying out of your shed soon ? Now that is a timber project worth sampling. :)

Very nice job there Bob. Can't wait to see the cricket bat cabinet.

Cheers
Pops

BobL
24th April 2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Bob,
Does that mean we are likely to see some casuarina fraseriana beer barrels flying out of your shed soon ? Now that is a timber project worth sampling. :)

Tempting . . addressing two of my favorite subjects at the same time!

BernieP
24th April 2008, 01:48 PM
G'Day Bob

Certainly beautiful colour, and great effort, look forward to seeing more.

Cheers
Bernie

wheelinround
24th April 2008, 03:23 PM
:2tsup: nice Bob what did you finish with Bob

beside a beer :D

Caveman
24th April 2008, 04:33 PM
At first glance I thought it was Grevillia but a second look realigned my opinion to a Cassarina of some sort.

Tis a "casuarina fraseriana" or WA sheoak.

:doh: Sheoak / silky oak ............... confused:? - just looks a lot darker/reddish than any Causuarina (cunninghamiana) i've turned, but now you mention it, it's fairly obvious.:2tsup:

BobL
24th April 2008, 06:59 PM
There was definitely a beer involved, "The Reverend (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/avery-the-reverend/8972/)" - a nice 10% ABV ale!

Finish was: Organoil Hard Burnishing Oil (using 1200 grit) and site sponsors trad wax.

OHBO is basically Tung oil which darkens timber quite a lot - normally I avoid using it on dark woods but this had a fair bit of sap wood in it so I thought it would be OK. Still turned out a touch too dark for my liking.

Little Festo
24th April 2008, 08:01 PM
Hello Bob, welcome to the world of woodturning. It's addictive isn't. A friend of mine has been doing a bit of turning on the wife's lathe, he made a deal to help with the gardening, carting bales of hay and cow poo about the various garden plots for her. He's well and truly enamored with turning.

Keep the coming, sounds like you'll have no problem obtaining the wood.

Peter

Chipman
24th April 2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Bob,

Nice work:2tsup::2tsup:
I resisted turning up bowls for quite a while... everone seems to do it and I always wanted to be different... well untill I started doing them too. Nothing like having a good piece of wood and see all those shavings spiral off the chisel! I usually do the same sort of thing, make going away presents for people when they leave work. Only problem is when you have to buy your blanks most of your money ends up as a pile of shavings on the floor!

Some of the bright sparks at work rekon I should make things for the new people when they arrive rather than rewarding people for leaving the team:doh:

Keep up your turning and we look forward to seeing your next project!

Chipman:B:B

BobL
24th April 2008, 11:14 PM
. . . . . .sounds like you'll have no problem obtaining the wood.

Only problem is when you have to buy your blanks most of your money ends up as a pile of shavings on the floor

With any luck I should not have to buy any wood for a very long time. I have the substantial part of two octagenarian gentlemen's turning stashes in my carport. They unfortunately had to move to retirement homes, The underneath of my house is stuffed with timber, and I have a share of a seatainer full of slabs I milled last year in a treeloppers yard . And there is a big pile of logs waiting in the yard to be milled! I also really happen to like milling - a lot!.

tea lady
24th April 2008, 11:24 PM
Triffic bowl. Wish I had such a stash of timber to go on with.:dreaming::rolleyes:

BobL
24th April 2008, 11:40 PM
Triffic bowl. Wish I had such a stash of timber to go on with.:dreaming::rolleyes:

Yes I am a little embarrassed by my stash as mostly I make tools and tool handles which use so little wood each time. Bowl turning might just give it a hurry along :D

tea lady
24th April 2008, 11:46 PM
Judging from your signature, you'll be getting saner and saner then.:D

Zarguld
25th April 2008, 04:41 AM
Nice work bob.

ss_11000
26th April 2008, 12:26 AM
excellent work Bob

chopa
17th June 2008, 06:01 PM
Great colour if it is cassarina ime wondering how hard and stable this timber is as i have some of it ,well it looks the same it came from Albury ,it was a tree killed by lightning and has been cut and stacked for about five years,i make rifle stocks and was hoping it would be stable ,ime new to the forum and was hoping some of you could tell me more about this timber,Chopa,