PDA

View Full Version : A difficult task

Poecilotheria
24th April 2008, 09:03 AM
I am not a woodworker in any way, I am a metal/stone worker.
A few years ago I started out to make a pipe sort of like those old clay English pipes with the long stock, or something like the pipes they use in lord of the rings. I made the bowl from a type of stone that is extremely dense and polishes to a glossy jet black.

First problem... I am looking for a type of wood that is a good match to the stone. Something quite hard, with very little noticeable grain and that has a naturally dark almost black look.

After much effort I tracked down some wood called ebony or african black wood (or so im told)

I tried to work this wood... it dulled and destroyed most of my non metal working tools. So far I havent found any way to make this wood cooperate.
I am wondering if there is a more suitable wood for this ??

Second problem... The stock has to be thin like a pen or dowel and long but also hollow and curved.
The curve is the main issue here... I was thinking perhaps the wood could be drilled and then bent in a steamer or something but im not sure if really hard woods can be steamed this way ??

Last I am trying to find a strong heat/moisture resistant glue to bond the stone to the wood if need be.

Any help with this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!

Manuka Jock
24th April 2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Poe....
As you say , the curving of the pipe stem may turn out to be a major problem.
You may be better off if you use horn.
It's while since I worked it , and never on a lathe , but I have used goat horn for handles , and crook staff heads .
It can be straightened , with heat (water) , worked , and then curved again.
The horn itself is hollow ,except for the tip, about 3 inches , from an adult goat.
Others may be able to add/correct this idea.

Jock

oldiephred
24th April 2008, 10:15 AM
Horn will work BUT are you planning to smoke it? Hot horn is not a good taste IMHO!!:no:

Manuka Jock
24th April 2008, 01:18 PM
A mate of mine , carver , who works with wood , stone, bone , and horn was a pipe smoker . He made his own pipes , with bone stems , short stem ones . I was a smoker myself in those days , both of the brown and the green .. I can't recall any burnt hair taste or smell .
The bowls were carved from Manuka .
Jock

Poecilotheria
24th April 2008, 01:37 PM
Horn sounds like an option, other than paint how can it be colored almost black.
Also can it be fashioned into a hollow tube about 8-10 inchs long ??
As for taste I might just have to try and see what happens.

Manuka Jock
24th April 2008, 10:26 PM
Some horn is black . About half the goats I brought in had black or blackish ones . Other animals may have the same ratio . As to wall thickness , malleability , work ability etc , experiment maybe your best teacher .
Then you can teach us ..:U

rsser
25th April 2008, 07:50 AM
Briar root is traditional for pipe bowls.

Added: the long stems on pipes (churchwarden pipes) were usually made of clay or some kind of plastic. Wood might not cope too well with the sharp changes in heat and humidity.

hughie
25th April 2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with Ern, Briar is the way to go. But its not a real common and If I remeber correctly it comes from 20-30year old briars.

Having made a few pipes in my time I used the Ebonite.Dunno if the timber would stand the heat etc. But if it did I would be making the stem straight then steaming it into shape later.

http://www.parkspipes.com/finishes.htm

Big Shed
25th April 2008, 11:31 AM
This place (http://www.pipemakers.org/) has a lot of stuff for pipe makers.

They sell both briar and ebonite.

Manuka Jock
25th April 2008, 02:09 PM
Guys , you are missing Poecilotheria's reason for starting this thread .
He has a pipe bowl , a stone one . It is regarding the stem that he seeks ideas and advice .

rsser
25th April 2008, 03:17 PM
True, but I think I said something about stems as did Hughie.