PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to try out the Blue Beast

dai sensei
25th April 2008, 07:39 PM
With the day off, I decided to take the blue beast out for a spin. I don’t have any monster logs at my place, it’s a standard suburban block, but I had a Forest Red Gum Burl (Eucalyptus tereticornis) and a White Top Burl (from Stringy Bark Tree - Eucalyptus delegatensis) that were too big for my bandsaw.

Since I couldn’t rest the ladder on the log, I mounted both burls on some logs and timber, whilst the ladder I supported on my stands. I then just adjusted the height of the bar for each cut. Certainly not ideal, a lot of adjustments and the ladder flexed a bit with that span, but it got the job done. The path I set up on actually slopes a fair bit, although the photo makes it look flat, which helped since I was on my own.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71942&stc=1&d=1209112562

Sliced both burls to 35mm at the same time with the 25” rig, but as I got half way down I had to go to the 42”, the burls were just that little bit too big. Got some good slices though, I’ll use them to make clocks or family trees.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71943&stc=1&d=1209112562

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71944&stc=1&d=1209112562

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71945&stc=1&d=1209112562

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71946&stc=1&d=1209112562

While I had the 42” bar on I also sliced up a couple of big Black Wattle (Acacia mearnsii) crutches I had still whole. I just cut them in half along the pith, they should make good bowl turning blanks.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71947&stc=1&d=1209112562

It didn’t all go smooth sailing though. My bar guard fell off. I had set my amps on the welder low because of the sheet metal, but it obviously wasn’t enough for the tube. I also lost a couple of my angled guides. I had just been slack and butted them together whilst welding along the faces, I’ll angle prep the plates next time to enable penetration.

Had a lot of fun though and made a lot of noise. Hard work this slabbing stuff, I’m certainly not used to it, and I wont be giving up the day job.

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
25th April 2008, 07:50 PM
Looking good Neil :2tsup:, shame about your bits falling off, at least you can fix them as you said :U.

Be careful of the dust from the White Top, have heard that its not good.

weisyboy
25th April 2008, 07:56 PM
no visits from your friend accross the road?

looks good niel i got some repairs to do on mine now. the bloke we had here with his excavator to lift the motor outa the dozer droped his bucket on it.:((

RufflyRustic
25th April 2008, 09:42 PM
Loks great Neil, nice clean cuts, for a chain saw! :)

cheers
Wendy

PS Weisboy - buggar!!!! It's a good thing chainsaws are pretty rugged.

dai sensei
25th April 2008, 09:49 PM
Be careful of the dust from the White Top, have heard that its not good.

I've used White Top before without any problems, but I always use breathing gear. Actually, I have been getting migranes from the Black Wattle I cut up on the bandsaw. I used my DC, but forgot the mask :doh:

.. i got some repairs to do on mine now. the bloke we had here with his excavator to lift the motor outa the dozer droped his bucket on it.:((

:o Bummer. Hope it is easily fixed.

Loks great Neil, nice clean cuts, for a chain saw!

The slices with the small rig were good, unfortunately the larger ones are pretty rough because of the flex in the ladder.

How's those boxes going. No time for computers, get back in that shed :U:U

matildasmate
25th April 2008, 10:01 PM
Nice stuff Neil , thanks for sharing mate . Cheers MM

prozac
26th April 2008, 12:02 AM
It didn’t all go smooth sailing though. My bar guard fell off. I had set my amps on the welder low because of the sheet metal, but it obviously wasn’t enough for the tube. I also lost a couple of my angled guides. I had just been slack and butted them together whilst welding along the faces, I’ll angle prep the plates next time to enable penetration.

Nice burls. The saw does a good job.

Put the amps up and angle your rod toward the heavier steel so that the thinner steel takes less heat.

prozac

dai sensei
26th April 2008, 12:10 PM
Nice burls. The saw does a good job.

Put the amps up and angle your rod toward the heavier steel so that the thinner steel takes less heat.

prozac

I'll have to remember that for other jobs, thanks for the tip. On this one I was using a MIG welding at the bolt holes in the hinges, so couldn't really get away from the thin stuff. I'm just going to use bolts this time, like I should have done in the first place. Lazy man kills himself with over work :roll:, as my father used to tell all the time :~, but he was right :doh:

BobL
26th April 2008, 01:36 PM
Nice pics neil, love the wattyl.

. . . . My bar guard fell off.

For a longer lasting guard I would suggest using a frame around the outside of the guard and then either welding or bolting the steel mesh onto the frame. The mesh might seem rigid but hanging out on the end of the bar like that, it's going to vibrate probably more than the rest of the mill. Try touching it when you are on WOT deep in a cut.

artme
26th April 2008, 02:15 PM
works really well Neil.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: No stopping you now.:D:D:D

dai sensei
26th April 2008, 07:51 PM
For a longer lasting guard I would suggest using a frame around the outside of the guard and then either welding or bolting the steel mesh onto the frame. The mesh might seem rigid but hanging out on the end of the bar like that, it's going to vibrate probably more than the rest of the mill. Try touching it when you are on WOT deep in a cut.

Your are right, the vibrations really get to it. I need to retain the pivot so I can attach my auxilary oiler bolt that is put on after fixing the bar in the frame (it's easier for me that way). I'm going to use bolts on the next trial run and see how that goes. I am also going to attach that elbow bracket you suggested, which might help a bit with the vibration.

artme
29th April 2008, 06:26 PM
Ouch Carl!!!:doh::C

Sigidi
29th April 2008, 09:13 PM
looks sweeeeeet!!

tablelander
1st May 2008, 03:24 PM
:2tsup:THATS SOME NICE PICS:2tsup: